LSH 3 months post hysterectomy: Mini period or infection? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 months post hysterectomy: Mini period or infection? 3 months post hysterectomy: Mini period or infection?

Unread 06-13-2015, 10:34 AM
3 months post hysterectomy: Mini period or infection?

So, I started bleeding again on Tuesday and I'm a bit confused and concerned. I had LSH on 3/12 and kept my cervix and both overlies. Trying to figure out if this is the dreaded mini period or bacterial vaginosis (bv). I had something similar almost exactly a month ago and went to my gyn. Upon examination, she said I had bv again (have had it many times) and she prescribed flagyl. She said my cervix was bleeding upon touch but otherwise looked fine. I had a bad reaction to the flagyl (antibiotic) and only took 2 doses. I also started taking probiotics and rephresh gel to normalize my ph as I think that might be the root cause of my recurrent bv. I called my gyn to report the bad reaction to the meds and she prescribed clindamycin (another antibiotic) but the bleeding stopped so I didn't take it. I pretty much went back to normal for 4 weeks but then started bleeding again on Tuesday along with pain pressure and slight burning. Feeling bad for not taking the clindamycin last time, I decided to take it before calling the dr (afraid she would be upset that I was noncompliant last time). This time the bleeding is more like a period and less like spotting and is brown with dark spots and clots. Does anyone have experience with this? I plan to call my dr on Monday but I'm driving myself crazy in the meantime. If this is mini period, what can be done to make it stop? I'm feeling devastated and defeated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Re: Mini period or infection?

It's hard to tell which, given the bleeding that you had before. Since you decided to keep your cervix, if it's a mini-period, then it's just something that's going to happen. It's part of the decision to have an LSH instead of a TLH. I get them each month, and I don't find it bothersome at all.
Unread 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Re: 3 months post hysterectomy: Mini period or infection?

((Shunshine5)) It is good to see you. I am so sorry that you are experiencing bleeding again. Because you have had many bv's, it could very well be that. From your descrption, it could also be the mini period. Only your doctor is going to be able to tell you for sure. If you find out it is a bv again, please, pretty please, take all of the meds. They are still working at killing the infection after the symptoms stop.

Much love to you dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Hi BKFranke! It's good to see you too! Yes, I'm finishing the clindamycin for sure.. Have just a few days left. The blood is strange today.. Kind of like flakes of dried blood or scabs. It is very weird and made me a little queasy to see. I've heard of some people getting silver nitrate to help with bleeding and a friend of mine had it done for mini periods (and it helped). But, when I asked my gyn about it last time she said they don't put that on the cervix.. Which is weird bc that's exactly what my friend had done by a dr in the same practice. But then again, last time she thought it was bv causing my bleeding so maybe she misunderstood my question.
Unread 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM

Made an appt to see gyn next Monday (soonest appt available). Thankfully the bleeding has stopped but now I have crushing pelvic pain instead. The dr suggested that I make appt after speaking to the nurse about my situation. I'm feeling hopeful because she wants to discuss options (which I'm relieved to hear that there might be some).
Unread 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine 5 View Post
Made an appt to see gyn next Monday (soonest appt available). Thankfully the bleeding has stopped but now I have crushing pelvic pain instead. The dr suggested that I make appt after speaking to the nurse about my situation. I'm feeling hopeful because she wants to discuss options (which I'm relieved to hear that there might be some).
I am sorry you have to wait until Monday . . . praying that you will get relief from the pain. I know you are so looking forward getting all of this under control and behind you. Please keep us posted on how you are and on your appointment.

to you dear. Remember that we are here for you.
Unread 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Thank you!! Hugs!!
Unread 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM

I saw my dr today and feel relieved to have a plan. Scheduled for a LEEP in two weeks due to my history, severity, and issues. We are hopeful that this will help.
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine 5 View Post
I saw my dr today and feel relieved to have a plan. Scheduled for a LEEP in two weeks due to my history, severity, and issues. We are hopeful that this will help.
Thank you for the update . . . I have been watching to see how your appointment went. I know you hate to have another procedure . . . praying with you that this will take care of the bleeding. Please keep us posted on how you are and the date.

Remember we are here for you, always.
Unread 06-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Thanks! Scheduled for the LEEP on 7/10 which is a Friday so I won't have to miss much work. We also discussed the plan just in case this does not work so I feel better knowing that we will eventually fix it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register