What to do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
What to do?

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 9/6/07.

I have constant right pelvic pain and pain radiates to my lower back deep inside along the right side of my tailbone in the right buttocks cheek. I have difficulty sitting for periods of time. I am post menopausal, 51 yrs, and 2 years since my last period. Occasionally experience some pain with intercourse. Right pelvic tenderness while performing internal and external exam.

Recently, past 6 weeks I started bleeding lasted for apprxmtly 5 days. I went to Dr. had MRI, CATSCAN, and xray of lower right back.

CATSCAN showed fibroid around the ovary/uterus. Gyno performed test to obtain biopsy of uterus and a fibroid was extracted. Results came back neg for cancer, that was good. Dr said probably reason for bleeding. Still have constant pain, bloating, discomfort. No bleeding.
History includes endometriosis, left ovary removed in 1992 (chocolate cyst).

Has anyone experienced this and found relief after a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM
What to do?

I wish I told answer your question but I just dont know. But there will be someone who can. I hope everything works out for you.
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM
What to do?

Oh my gosh you just described my pre-op pain to a "t". I had increasing right pelvic pain that sort of bore through me, to my back/buttock area. I used to envision that a giant crab claw was pinching me right through. (weird I know) As it turned out, I had many many fibroids, but my right ovary was actually adhered to a fibroid, and had multiple cysts in it, and then THAT whole thing was stuck to my pelvic sidewall. I have not had that awful pain since surgery. Now I have had some twinges of pain, soreness, etc. in the general area, but it's not the same thing. When I woke up after my TLH, the doc said that I should really feel some relief from that pain. It had gotten so bad a couple of times that I'd gone to the ER just to be sure it wasn't my appendix or that something hadn't ruptured. I was way bloated too, by the way.

Of course, no one can say for sure which of our pains will or won't be relieved after our hysterectomy, but I can tell you that mine most definitely was.

Gigimay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
What to do?

Thank you for the feedback. Wow this forum does have power. I thought I was the only one feeling this way.

Gigimay, how long did you experience before deciding on you hysterectomy?

I just had < an hour of some comfort and thought perhaps it was necessary to have this surgery then it all came back with a bang. My deep pain in my right buttocks keeps me in such discomfort, very difficult to sit still.
Unread 07-19-2007, 03:45 PM
What to do?

Hmmm, I feel better after reading this. The pain I have had sounds pretty close to what you have. It shoots from just below my belly and feel like it's going to come out near my butt cheek and feels like someone is stabbing me with a knife, I can feel these episodes coming on, I'm fine if I take 4 Ibuprofen right away, if not I'm down and out until the med's kick in. Ibuprofen has never completely cut out the pain but takes the "edge off". I have been to two doctors complaining of this pain and I felt as though they didn't think it sounded like anything major.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and that has always dumbfounded me.

I will be bringing that up to my OB/GYN next week - thanks for letting me now someone else has felt this and been/gonig through it!
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
What to do?

kellnette, good luck on your ob/gyn apt, hope all goes well for you. This intense pain and discomfort just recently started since I started bleedig a few weeks ago. Crazy stuff. I have a high level of pain tolerance and in my past I would just wait and see. But since I am post meno and 2 yrs since last period this all seemed serious, so here I am and I am all so happy to have found this forum.

I just made an apt to see an accupuncturist thinking maybe he could help with this pain and discomfort. Of course just maybe I don't need this surgery, right? I don't know.
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
What to do?

Yes, if I stayed on top of the pain-- w/ ibuprofen or tylenol, I could keep it under control. But if it got ahead of me, it could be brutal. I've experienced the pain off and on for a couple of years, but in the past year, it was becoming more often and more steady. There were times I was doubled over, and I couldn't do stuff with my kids. I would sweat, etc. Enough was enough!

Gigimay
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
What to do?

I used motrin after the Dr did the biopsy in her office. I didn't keep up with it though. Tylenol use to help me with the lower back pain along the s1 joint area, but that doesn't work for this pain.

I am grasping at straws right now, thinking just maybe I won't need this surgery. I guess this is normal with all this time before surgery?

Did you have your ovaries removed along with cervix too?
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
What to do?

my pain like that was left sided, which is also the side prone to ovarian cysts in the past, don't have one there now that anyone has told me,but that pain went from what I imagine my ovary area straight on back to the center of my butt cheek! I was shocked when it first happened and even said out loud "OH NO! Not siatic nerve pinch on top of this! what the heck is this pain???"

I have been taking natural progesterone cream for a month since I have set the surgery appointment and just in the past couple days most pain and a lot of the discomfort is gone now. still some swelling at the end of the day and it feel like I am going to have a period (haven't had one in two years!)

Hum, now I have to wonder what they may find in and around that left ovary of mine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register