Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy

Unread 02-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy

Can anyone who also suffered from Adenomyosis tell me their results post op? Also what were your symptoms. I'm wondering if my bowel issues arent due to this and not IBS as suspected. I also am having issues emptying my bladder that started back in October. I also had horribly heavy periods with clots starting in October as well. I then went to every two weeks having a period and now it had stopped and I am so bloated all the time. Also did you notice that your abdomen went down in size? I never had issues with my belly being this big, I can't even fit in my clothes anymore. Sorry for all the questions I was just blindsided with all this over the past two weeks and when I found this group I was so relieved that I might be able to find some answers and some other women with similar issues/experiences. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Re: Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op

Hi Tara2482 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site. I know this is such an overwhelming experience. I was blindsided when my gyn onc told me I would need a hysterectomy as well - and I was in the OR 10 days later

I did not suffer from adenomyosis, however, I do know that there are plenty of women on this site who do. Hopefully, one of them will see this post and respond to your questions.

In the meantime, here are some posts written by other women in your same boat:
TVH - for adenomyosis
LSH for adenomyosis and fibroids
TAH - My Story: Adenomyosis

I hope these help. Just know that you are not alone in this - never on this site. We understand what you are going through. We are just a few mouse clicks away.

Unread 02-22-2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2015, 04:23 PM

My adendomyosis was diagnosed at pathology. Along with this I had several fibroids. My bleeding was quite heavy- many gushes and large clots. On occasion I had some break through bleeding. I could feel the top part of my uterus near my belly button. Along with this I felt a heavy dragging feeling on my pelvic floor. I had to eat smaller meals if I ate a large meal I felt very uncomfortable. As well I would have to get up at night to go pee.
The changes seemed to sneak up on me. At first the changes seemed subtle and I considered them to be part of the process of aging. I started to use some ridiculous coping strategies to manage my periods. My angry uterus was running the show. At that point I realized I needed to take action.
I looked at my hysterectomy as a time of renewed well being. My surgery and recovery were uneventful. After my recovery I made some dietary changes and increased my exercise. Through this new regime I lost 20 lbs. My good health has returned and I have no regrets.
Good luck on your journey
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Re: Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy

Like Ealasaid, I knew I had fibroids, but adeno wasn't confirmed until after my surgery (I'd suspected it, so it was a relief getting that confirmation). I had very heavy periods, clotting and flooding. I was also tired all the time, so had to take iron supplements. I had some abdominal swelling, but not that much (my uterus was about the size of a 12-14 week pregnancy).

Post-surgery, I feel SO much better. I still think I have a bit of post-op belly swelling, but it doesn't bother me since it's not affecting how my clothes fit. I have a lot more energy and it's wonderful not planning my entire life around my periods.
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Fibroids, bleeding, interventions eventually morphed in symptoms consistent with adeno, which my surgeon also felt was happening. And it was. My major complaints- night time peeing, constant pain (different from cramping a my cycle), radiating pain down my,leg, pressure at my pelvis, ugh. They are essentially gone.
I was trying to track my hormonal cycle, and it has faded away naturally (my need to track it) and become less relevant as it is no longer impacting my life. I am so thrilled.
Best of luck!
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:32 PM

My adendomyosis too wasn't diagnosed until the pathology was done post-op but had begun to suspect it over time. My gyno had done a couple of ultrasounds over the years and 3 years ago we did a hysteroscopy (with D&C) primarily to be able to get a good look at the uterine lining as suspect for the years and years of heavy and irregular bleeding. Everything at that time was normal.

What I found over the years was that progesterone-only therapies would work temporarily to resolve the bleeding but breakthrough bleeding would eventually start up. I coudn't take pills with estrogen because my BP would shoot up and would also trigger irregular periods. The whole time, my uterus felt very heavy - like I was carrying around a water balloon all the time! (I've never been pregnant so I can't make that comparison but I suspect there is some similarity there.) I had constant pressure on my bladder and seemed I had to pee all the time!

I'm not quite 3 weeks post-op and even though I am dealing with swelly belly and constipation and other things, what I can tell you is that I do not miss the heavy uterus! I know it's no longer there and am looking forward to post-operative symptoms completely subsiding so I can really feel the freedom!
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms Pre Op vs Post Op Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2482 View Post
Can anyone who also suffered from Adenomyosis tell me their results post op? Also what were your symptoms. I'm wondering if my bowel issues arent due to this and not IBS as suspected. I also am having issues emptying my bladder that started back in October. I also had horribly heavy periods with clots starting in October as well. I then went to every two weeks having a period and now it had stopped and I am so bloated all the time. Also did you notice that your abdomen went down in size? I never had issues with my belly being this big, I can't even fit in my clothes anymore. Sorry for all the questions I was just blindsided with all this over the past two weeks and when I found this group I was so relieved that I might be able to find some answers and some other women with similar issues/experiences. Thanks!
I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis in pathology report. For about a year, I had painful periods with cramps that would keep me in fetal position for a couple of days. Had more and more blood clots during my period. Got to the point I had my period every 14-18 days, although I would have a "regular" cycle every few months. My surgeon went right to hysterectomy because I am unable to do anything with hormones...I det blood clots. Interesting you mentioned IBS and you're wondering if your digestive issues could actually be a side effect of the Adenomyosis. I had IBS symptoms for a long time and in the past 3 weeks since surgery, it's gotten lots better! I do know that digestive issues can be a symptom of Adenomyosis. But, like I mentioned, I didn't know it was Adenomyosis until after surgery. You'll probably have horrible gas pains and constipation after surgery. I took 2 stool softeners a day, and ate a
Gas X before each meal. I also started drinking a glass of prune juice (BLAH) every morning. After a few days, I had a BM and did away with the prune juice and stool softeners at two weeks post-op. Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register