Keep ovaries? Or not? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep ovaries? Or not? Keep ovaries? Or not?

Unread 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Keep ovaries? Or not?

I have PCOS, fibroids, and endometriosis...my doc said the ovary decision is mine. I am 41 years old and worry about HRT and if I will have a desire for sex without ovaries. If you had the choice, would you keep your ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2015, 09:34 AM
Re: Keep ovaries? Or not?

Yes, I would try and keep what you can. The benefits of keeping them can sometimes outweigh the negatives. Even during and through menopause they can provide much needed estrogen which can reduce your risks of other problems in the future, ie; heart disease, bone loss... All in all the decision is your own to make but I kept what I could, which was just my left one, I am 35.
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:05 AM

Yes, I kept mine and would recommend that you keep yours unless there is strong medical reason not too.
I was 40 when had my hyster, and I'm glad I did!
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2015, 11:14 AM

Hi there! I am scheduled tomorrow for a Total hysterectomy. I too had this question while deciding on surgery. I chose to keep my ovaries, I am 31 and do not think I can handle going through menopause while trying to care for 2 small kids, I also have a history of heart problems which could be made worse by abruptly putting my body through menopause . I did make the decision with my doctor but we also decided that if they get in there and she sees anything suspicious with one or both ovaries, she would either take care of it during surgery, assuming its not a cancerous issue, or she will make the educated decision to take one or both out. I am ok with this, I trust my doctor to make the right decision for me if an issue with my ovaries arrive during surgery.

I would just have a conversation with your doctor and ask all of the questions you have. I felt much better after talking with my doctor and having her answer all the concerning questions I had. Good luck to you! Also, don't feel like you are bothering your doctor with a million questions, they would rather you ask beforehand rather than second guessing after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellibolen View Post
I have PCOS, fibroids, and endometriosis...my doc said the ovary decision is mine. I am 41 years old and worry about HRT and if I will have a desire for sex without ovaries. If you had the choice, would you keep your ovaries?
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM

Hi! I'm 42 and like you have PCOS.

I'm gratefully having my ovaries removed during my hyster in mid March.

In the last 8 months I've started developing cysts again. And, this is with taking active BC (Yasmin) for 3 months at a time.

My ovaries hurt all the time. I've a 5 yr old (adopted) who requires far to much energy and wrestling (literally-hee hee) on my part to be weighed down by organs that don't work right and never have.

Removal - or not - is a personal decision but should be made only once you've all the necessary info. Have you ever been pregnant? Do you have a history of breast, ovarian, or cervical cancer in your family? Did your GYN let you know that 1 out of every 70 women will have ovarian cancer?

There are lots of risk factors as well as mediating factors that need to be weighed. In the end, you need to make the best choice for you and your future health.

Good luck with your decision. Many prayers that it is an easy one for you to make.
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM

I kept both of mine. Dr asked me if i wanted to keep them & i said yes. She said with my age (42) & no problems with my ovaries there was no reason to remove them. Plus i didnt want to go in surgical menopause yet. You have to decide what is best for you then talk it over with your dr. Best of luck
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM

I decided to keep mine for all the heart health and bone density benefits.
Unread 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM

I was happy to be able to keep mine. Artificial hormones always made me feel very ill so I was hoping to not have to undergo HRT.
Unread 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Keep ovaries? Or not?

I'm 47 and scheduled for LAVH with BSO on 2/26... I'm removing mine because of cysts and significant pain; but I'm also BRCA 2 positive... Significant rate of breast cancer in my family; and I figured at this point in my life, it would be the smart thing to do...

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register