Scheduled TLH Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21) Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21)

Unread 09-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21)

I'm 34 and know that I will most likely need HRT after surgery but know some doctors want you to wait a few weeks before starting hormones. I get nervous about the hormone issues since I had postpartum after one of my daughters was born and was told that was due to the quick drop of hormones after she was born. I know this might not have anything to do with what I'm getting ready to go through but it scares me because I don't want to feel the way I did after having my daughter. Has anyone had theses feelings or how did you feel after surgery and having HRT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahurst1 View Post
I'm 34 and know that I will most likely need HRT after surgery but know some doctors want you to wait a few weeks before starting hormones. I get nervous about the hormone issues since I had postpartum after one of my daughters was born and was told that was due to the quick drop of hormones after she was born. I know this might not have anything to do with what I'm getting ready to go through but it scares me because I don't want to feel the way I did after having my daughter. Has anyone had theses feelings or how did you feel after surgery and having HRT?
I'm much older than you (49). My doc initially said that because of my age she wouldn't start HRT until and if it became clear that I needed it.

I went back to see her and explained that because of my history of depression I was afraid to fall off a hormonal cliff at my surgery. After she heard that, she agreed to start HRT immediately.

Good luck! 🙂
Unread 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Re: Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy

Hi sarahurst1 to HysterSisters!

Is there any way for you to keep your ovaries as you are pretty young? If you have to lose them, talk to your doctor about your concerns and your desire to take HRT after your surgery. Keep in mind that it can take some time to get the balance correct. So adjustments may need to be made. Here is some information for you:
HRT, Heart Disease, and Surgical Menopause
Natural Menopause vs. Surgical Menopause

I was rudely dumped into surgical menopause at age 46 (I had no choice). I was MISERABLE. I went on HRT and it gave me my life back, but it is not the same as my own hormones. If I could have I would have kept my ovaries.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2016, 04:38 PM

My Dr. gave me rx for hormones right after surgery. I am so glad she did. I am 24 days post surgery.
Took out uterus and ovary and cervix - could not find my left ovary or tube.(Plus, I have endo stage IV)
It was 4 hours long with mini lap with a scope. I was good with motrin and Tylenol every 6 hours. I have had no complication - no hot flashes, depression or anxiety. I feel every blessed and very happy with the results.
Originally, i did not want hormones but she explained I could always come off gradually after I healed up. Why suffer more than you have to.
I had horrible periods, 2 surgeries to take out endo, suffered through 7 years of infertility and was severely anemic. I am done with all of it and happy as a clam!
Unread 09-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Thank you everyone for the input so far. It has definitely helped calm my nerves! I wish I could keep my ovaries but already had left taken out in December and my right is enlarged and full of cysts. But I'm feeling much better about HRT. Thanks again!
Unread 09-26-2016, 07:13 PM

I just scheduled my hysterectomy today. I'm also 34 and will be having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries. My dr said he would leave one if I really wanted to but that the likelihood of having another surgery down the line to take out the other ovary was very high. I would rather have them both out with this surgery and avoid another surgery in the future. He is starting me on HRT the day after my surgery. I decided to use the hormone patch of Estradiol. I have high hopes that this will be the best bet for me and after a long talk with my dr I really agree with all of his advice. I would ask your doctor what his plan is and discuss which option will be best for you. I personally feel better off of the high hormones in birth control pills but need them to help with my periods. I'm actually looking forward to my surgery and feeling better again. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-26-2016, 10:52 PM

I feel your pain girl. I'm 35. Having surgery on the 28th. My main questions were about HRT. I will be starting asap after surgery with estrogen patches since they are taking everything. Not going to lie...kinda scared. But if your interested in can keep you informed. We can all learn from each other.
Unread 09-27-2016, 06:15 AM

Yes! Keep me updated! Hope everything goes well for your hysterectomy tomorrow. I'm so glad I found this site and others that are going through what I am.
Unread 09-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Re: Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21)

I hope you all update here after your surgeries! Your stories are very close to mine so I'm very interested in your recoveries and experiences starting HRT after. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-30-2016, 07:32 PM
Re: Nervous about hormones after hysterectomy and remaining ovary removed (10/21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akblackaby View Post
I hope you all update here after your surgeries! Your stories are very close to mine so I'm very interested in your recoveries and experiences starting HRT after. Good luck to you!
Beyond the initial post of "I am out of surgery", the post-surgery women move to post-op forum and their own recovery thread based on their surgery week. So they will not be updating on this thread.

This is done to keep the site organized, and because the concerns of each group are different. You can see the post-op posts, but you will not be able to post there until you are post-op yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register