Is there bowel prep before hysterectomy? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there bowel prep before hysterectomy? Is there bowel prep before hysterectomy?

Unread 02-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Is there bowel prep before hysterectomy?

Hello,

I am schedule Mar 16 for an A & P Repair, bladder sling and possible TVH but possibly an open hysterectomy. I was not told of any bowel prep but reading in here that some do have this. I am terrified of the first post op BM so thinking I may do an enema the day prior anyways and a liquid diet that day. Thoughts?

Thanks
Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Re: Is there bowel prep?

I understand your fears, however, you should not do any kind of bowel prep unless your doctor tells you to. Your doctor will expect you to be in a certain condition. If you do a bowel prep and become dehydrated or anything else your doctor doesn't expect, she may postpone your surgery. My doctor did not ask me to do a bowel prep or to do a liquid diet. I had no problems with a BM on day 3. It didn't even really hurt. Urinating was more painful for me. Don't second-guess your doctor. If you have concerns, please call your doctor and ask.
Unread 02-23-2015, 04:44 AM

I wasn't told to do a bowel prep. When I arrived at the hospital, there was a nurse waiting for me with a Fleet enema instead. :-)

Follow your instructions *exactly* as given. In my case, I was told clear liquids only after 5 PM, nothing to eat or drink at all after midnight except a sip of water in the morning to take my meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2015, 05:02 AM

I had to do bowel prep for my daVinci. Was quite glad to start the whole process with an empty bowel. You could contact you gynaecologist and ask if it is okay to clear things out a bit.
Unread 02-23-2015, 05:27 AM

They will let you know at your pre op.
Please follow your doctor's direction and don't do a bowel prep if they say you don't need one.
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:33 AM

My pre-op instructions did not include a bowel prep. I just needed to have no food or water after midnight the evening before surgery. I was surprised to see that my first meal after surgery was a ham dinner. The next day following surgery I started taking a stool softener. Each surgeon has different guidelines.
All the best on your journey
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:54 AM

I had to do a bowel prep last night as my surgery is today, but was instructed at my pre-op to do so. If you were not, then I suggest not doing that, as I'm sure they will handle that at the hospital prior to surgery. I did do a liquid diet the day before, just because I often have constipation with my endo, so just wanted everything to go "smoothly" LOL.

Just follow your doctor instructions and everything will go well. Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Re: Is there bowel prep before hysterectomy?

Thank you ladies. Wasn't too sure as I've read different things on here. I see it's not a common practice any longer. Can't say I was eager to do a bowel prep. :-)
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM

I wasn't told to do a bowel prep but if your doctor doesn't require it, you probably shouldn't do it. I'm not sure why some women need it and others don't. The first BM is going to be uncomfortable regardless if you do the bowel prep or not. But it's not unbearable and you will get through it!
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM

I had A & P repairs also and did have to do bowel prep (fleet enema night before and then morning of surgery). I was told it was so that everything was clean for the rectocele repair. Like others have said, your doctor will let you know. It does seem to vary widely based on this forum. Just follow the directions you are given.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register