Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017 - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017

Unread 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017

Hi my name is Kim, I just turned 50, I am having a LVH on Tuesday the 26th with the removal of my cervix, uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. I haven't been through menopause yet, so I am concerned about how my body will react to this situation.
I have abnormal pap that have been increasing in grade over the last year and have recently developed fibroids.
my mother had 99.9% estrogen positive breast cancer so I am not sure about taking replacement hormones since I will be immediately thrown into menopause. I have had multiple abdominal surgeries including gastric bypass -RNY procedure so I am not sure how that will effect everything.
I need to get back to myself and back to work as soon as possible as I have a husband with an incurable cancer. This is probably the first time going into a surgery that I am nervous about the outcome.

I hope everyone has a positive experience and a quick recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM

Princesses:

I'm just stopping by to cheer you all on.

For some of us, the scariest part is waiting for the big day, but we are here to cheer you on, You are stronger than you think - you can and will do this! Have confidence in yourself and in the skill of your surgeon. Try to think of the big picture - any that this surgery will one day be a memory that symbolizes your strength.

It really does help to keep busy doing things you enjoy and surrounding yourself with positive friends and family. You are in the home stretch. Staying positive can help reduce stress.
Take care and know you are not alone on your journey.
Soon you will be on your way to recovery and encouraging those in your position now.

TIPS:
Travel light for the hospital and remember comfy clothes and shoes to wear home from the hospital. Also remember a small pillow to wear under your seatbelt for the ride home. Additionally, this pillow will also help cushion the blows of little people and rambunctious pets, coughs, laughing and sneezing. You may also benefit by having several small pillows available for resting in bed. Sometimes, for those of us not used to sleeping on our sides, a long body pillow may prove the most comfortable.

Today is a great time to double-check your "recovery nest" to make certain you have the items you need at your fingertips. Getting out of bed can prove a bit challenging at first, so you may want to have a bed rail, or, a sturdy chair or small table to steady you as you get up. Remember those non-slip slippers for marching around the house. Have light reading next to your bed and your favorite movies. And don't worry about anything you didn't get to clean or errands you didn't get to - concentrate on all you have accomplished to get this far.

Best of luck ALL!
Unread 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017

Hi ladies! I'm 35 years old and scheduled for my partial vaginal hysterectomy on Friday the 29th. I wasn't really worried about it until just the past few days. My husband and I have two busy young boys (4 and 9) and we also run our own business, a dairy farm.

My mom is coming to help for the first week but I'm worried about recovery and looking after the kids after she leaves. My husband is planning to adjust his chore schedule so that he can be in the house to get the kids off to school and for supper time but what if something goes wrong in the barn? I guess we will have to make do. I don't have any family living nearby (closest is 16 hours by car).

My other issue is that I have ulcerative colitis and I have been told by my doctor to stop all medications for a week prior to the surgery. It has been a couple of days with no meds and my colitis is already flaring. It is going to take weeks to fix the flare on top of surgery recovery. I also follow a strict diet that has many restrictions. I've been so busy with farm work that I haven't been able to prep food for myself, let alone my family.

So I guess you could say I'm feeling a bit panicked and anxious! Anyways, I'm thankful for this group so I know I am not going through this alone. Hugs all around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Many of you here are anxious about recovery - rightfully so. We spend so much time preparing for surgery, we can feel thrown into the unknown. But Please keep in mind, there is no way to rush recovery - please check out this article: Can I Rush Recovery?

In my experience, recovery is tricky as there is no one size fits all nor is there inevitably time table. There will be checkpoints, but we all are unique. The good news is you can maximize your chances for a good and healthy recovery by following your doctor's instructions to the letter. Plan on listening to your own body signals. Take your pain meds exactly as prescribed. Your body will need to concentrate on healing and not fighting pain - so please do not space out your dosages or cut your medication on your own. Plan on retiring your superwoman cape. Accept help and resist the temptation to overdo.

Be kind to yourself before and after your surgery.
Unread 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just share whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.

Please check in with us after your surgery, you will find your thread in the “Hysterectomy Recovery Reports” sub-forum (at the top of the Post Op forum). You should also receive an email with a link. This is your place to post updates and share your progress as you heal.

As our surgery approaches, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a picnic, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:
Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Unread 09-24-2017, 12:39 PM

What Am I Having Done Inside?

Some women are unsure about what exactly will be done inside during their surgery & what all the terms we use here mean. The first thing to know about hysterectomy is that the cervix is part of the uterus, and not a separate organ. Therefore Total Hysterectomy means the entire uterus (including cervix) is being removed. Ladies having a Partial (or Sub-total/Supracervical) Hysterectomy are retaining their cervix. A Radical Hysterectomy includes an inch or two of the upper vagina and is usually performed in cases of cervical or vaginal cancer.

Removal of the ovaries & fallopian tubes may be done at the same time as a hysterectomy, but it is a separate procedure altogether and is called a Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy.
Having a Hysterectomy: What Do I Need to Know?
What Are the Different Types of Hysterectomies?
Parts of the Uterus

Vaginal Cuff: What Is It?
Click here to see more Abbreviations used on this site, and to see the acronym for the type of surgery you will be having.

Unread 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD91 View Post
Hi Princesses!

I’m here for the 2nd time as my last appointment for surgery was cancelled. In a way I’m less nervous this time as I know a bit more about the endless hours in the waiting room. However I didn’t get to the other side of that door and have never yet seen an operating theatre. Also I’m very anxious in case it get cancelled again. I’m finding it quite tiring mentally just to process all the pre-op stuff.

I have a lovely family and a great group of supportive friends who are organising a food rota so I’m free to be out of the loop as much as I need!

I’m also ready with some large knickers and a pair of baggy trousers. Good luck to all!
DLD91 . . . I am so glad they were able to schedule your surgery quickly so you don't have to wait weeks and weeks. I know you are anxious . . . I've had one delayed but not canceled. that all will go as planned. Big Kudos to your family and friends for being supportive . . . organizing food is so very helpful.

dear . . . we will see you on the other side.
Unread 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSnell View Post
My name is Jen and on Wednesday I am having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy using the DaVinci, I'm also having rectocele, colpopexy and posdible cystocele repairs.... the works. I am most anxious about being able to go to the bathroom after the surgery mostly being able to go pee without any problems and/or possible UTI. Physical pain I'm okay with but UTIs I just don't do well with. I successfully did a urodynamic evaluation and had no problems with a catheter being moved in and out so I hopeful my body will respond just as favorably.
We are so happy you found us dear. My surgery was a dvTH/BSO plus rectocele and enterocoele repairs and my bladder was pulled up. you will pass the three P's . . . peeing, passing gas, and post op walking. I truly understand your concern about peeing . . . I have had trouble in the past and that was my fear. They will put the catheter in after they put you out and it comes out after you are out of recovery. I stayed overnight because of the repairs . . . mine was taken out the next day.

UTI's are no fun . . . be sure to drink lots and lots of water and try to totally empty your bladder (you may need to sit a bit longer). Personal wipes are softer than tissue and help more with personal hygiene. A peri bottle also can help with personal cleansing and will help keep the urethra orifice free from bacteria.

There are several other things that I found helpful after repair surgery.

Witch hazel spray to help with soreness
Ice packs for swelling . . . I soaked pads and froze them
Sitz bath ONLY if approved by your doctor.

Best wishes dear . . . we will see you after surgery.
Unread 09-24-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strougakos View Post
Morning!

I'm having a LAVH on Thursday. I'm an equal mix of confident and scared. I've had other surgeries before, so I kind of know what to expect. I have a weird kidney system, so I will be having a UroGyno join my regular Gyno for the procedure. She said it should take around 4 hours.

I guess the thing I'm most worried about is how long the procedure takes and I'm hoping they don't have to end up going through the abdomen. I'm healthy and fit, so hoping to bounce back before six weeks. We shall see!
It is good to meet you Strougakos. We will be praying your surgery will be done vaginally. I'm glad there will be a URO/GYN there to assist with your surgery . . . the 4 hour estimation is because of working with your kidney system. Try not to worry about the time dear . . . you will be in good hands. Your medical team will be doing what they do best . . . taking care of you.

Even though your surgery is vaginal, it is still major surgery and your body will need the time to recover. We all heal at different rates dear. One of the things that will help your recovery go smoothly is following your post op restrictions . . . no pushing, no pulling, no bending and no lifting over a gallon of milk. All of those things pull on the areas that are healing.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery . . . we will look for you after surgery.
Unread 09-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 24, 2017

My name is Angela and I'm 36 years old. My surgery is on Wednesday for fibroids and adenomyosis, which have caused severe anemia and a lot of pain. My anxiety is through the roof over the surgery, the recovery, the missed work, and the looming hospital bills. The thing that's getting a lot harder, as the surgery gets closer, is how upset I am over losing my chance to have children of my own. I'm 36 and single, so I knew it was unlikely, but it wasn't impossible, until now. It's been really difficult for me to talk openly about that, even with my friends and family, but I think a lot of women here can probably relate. I guess I just wanted to get that off my chest.
On another note, I live alone and will have my mother here to help me for the first week, but I'm wondering how independent I will be by then. Can I expect to be able to feed my cats, take my dog for walks at all, do my own cooking? How much do you think I will have to call on friends?
Thanks.
Closed Thread

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register