No sign of disolving stitches? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No sign of disolving stitches? No sign of disolving stitches?

Unread 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
No sign of disolving stitches?

I had a TAH 5.5 weeks ago and I still have not had the odor or seen any sign of my stitches disolving. Is it possible that they have and I just did not know? My 6 week appt is this Thursday. Thanks to all of my supportive sisters. This site has helped me tremendously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Looks like I'm a week ahead of you. I had my exam last week, and the doctor said there were still a couple of stitches dissolving. I haven't had any bright red bleeding for a very long time, and no odor. I also have not seen any sign of any stitches coming out, so maybe they are just dissolving.

Tomorrow I go back to work half a day. I was there (at school) preparing my classroom for 3 hours today, and I am pretty tired. I think it's time to put my feet up and read a book for a while in my "nest" on the couch.
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm only two weeks since my LAVH, but the doctor told me last week that my stitches are intended to last 6 weeks and I probably wouldn't notice anything before then...but he did say they were blue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM

My stitches dissolved without any symptoms at all. When I went for my 8 week post-op appointment, my gyn found one stitch that was still there and treated it with silver nitrate, but I wouldn't have known about it otherwise!
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Did the silver nitrate hurt?
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:36 AM

My stitches never came out nor did I have any discharge or oder. I guess my body absorbed them. Best wishes.
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Im glad you asked this as I had a TVH on 23rd Jan and was told that my vaginal stitches would start dissolving aroung week 3 and I would find small strands of stitches in my underwear, but as of yet I havent found anything and I am 3 1/2 weeks post surgery. I was worried about finding stitches in my underwear! Theres something about finding them that scares me a little!
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm 6 weeks and did notice some small greyish looking stitches in my discharge the first few weeks. Dr. said everything looked good and stitches were healing nicely. I have one *clingon* stitch in my tummy where my right ovary was taken and it has a small lump under the skin. The Dr. said he could cut it but felt better leaving it alone and it would fall out on it's own. The lump is from the knotting of the stitch under the skin.

I'm glad you find this site helpful. I'm not sure I could have made it the last 6 weeks without all the advice I've read here.

Muah to all the sisters
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix42
Did the silver nitrate hurt?
No, not at all. I had a very slight greyish discharge which lasted for a couple of days, but there was no pain during the procedure or afterwards.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM

I never saw any stitches come out, either. At 5 1/2 weeks, I felt a poking sensation. I thought it was my stitches finally starting to come out. The doctor took one look and said, "Oh, you just have one last stitch hanging in there. I'll get it for you." And she took some supertweezers and pulled it out. I hadn't noticed any of them, and I'd been looking. I was kind of disappointed, actually. I completely missed it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register