Scheduled dVH/RALH I need help!! bowel prep start time??? ASAP!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need help!! bowel prep start time??? ASAP!!!!! I need help!! bowel prep start time??? ASAP!!!!!

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:30 AM
I need help!! bowel prep start time??? ASAP!!!!!

Ok, I went to my pre-op Fri. I asked the dr about the bowel prep. He said yes, however he did not tell me when to start. I go in on Thur the 16th. My fear is I will drink the stuff to late and still be going when I get there. When should I start drinking it and how long will this last? Any other tip you want to give I will take. They do not have to be about this, however I do need this answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Re: I need help!! bowel prep start time??? ASAP!!!!!

Hi Scared32, I did not have to do a bowel prep, but the best bit of advice I can give you is 1) take a deep breath, you have time to figure it out, 2) The best thing to do with questions like yours is to call your doc on Monday and find out what he/she recommends. Hopefully sisters who have done bowel preps (there are many) will share their stories with you.
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:18 AM

Give the dr a call and don t fret. The anxiety about the bowel prep was way worse than the actual "event".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM

I would call the doctor.... Mine is on Tuesday and my doctor has be on 1/2 a bottle of Magnesium Citrate... (Got the Lemon Lime, the smell was terrible but I was able to get it down in 2 swigs. Now the after taste is horrible but helped by a flavored water) I have the 2nd half tomorrow.... Now a lot of the post on here do not have you going it for 2 days just one.
But please do NOT go by what my doctor is having ME do. All doctors are different and everyone's surgery is different.

Good luck!
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:40 AM

It's really, really normal do your pre-op and then realize afterwards that there were things you forgot to ask. I had to call back a few days later and check about taking ibuprofen before surgery. Good thing I did, because the nurse said no ibuprofen the last week!

You just had your pre-op on Friday. Your doc won't think anything of it if you call Monday and say you forgot to ask about when to start the bowel prep. That's the best way to handle this.
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Doctors vary in the bowel prep instructions. Mine had me drink a bottle of magnesium citrate, along with a capful of miralax mixed with 10oz of clear liquid along with 2 dulcolax. I did this at 10:00am and again at 2:00pm.
I wish you the best!
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:14 PM

I had to drink the magnesium citrate starting at noon the day before surgery. I couldn't get the whole bottle down. I got just about half of it down. It was enough to do the trick. I also had to follow a clear liquid diet the entire day before surgery. I would call your doctor's office to find out when to start.
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:15 PM

And for the record I was still going when I got to the hospital. I just made sure to let my preop nurses know. They said it ws normal and not to worry about it. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register