Walking is the best medicine. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking is the best medicine. Walking is the best medicine.

Unread 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Walking is the best medicine.

I'm just over 3 wks post-op and I just got back from a great walk around the neighborhood. Walking has done wonders for me, especially since I miss being so active.

I just walked about 45 minutes outdoors in the nice sunshine around the neighborhood and feel so much better. It did wonders and as long as I'm feeling this good, I hope to keep at it each day. I still rest, but I think a good mix or walking and resting is the best medicine for me.

Anyone else enjoying their walks? It's like I'm starting to feel like part of the human race again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM

You're fortunite enough to have had your surgery while the weather is nice. I had mine on Jan 22nd, and the only walking that I got was up and down the hallway of my apartment! While I was recouping, we had a cold spell where it didn't get above 20 for two weeks, and a ice storm on the day that I was going to drive for the first time since surgery!

Enjoy your walks, and hope your healing is uneventfull!
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Hi diddlydudette,

You are absolutely correct about walking. It works for everyone, because you can do it as fast or as slowly as you need to, for a few minutes or an hour, whatever you can do.

Walking improves circulation, which promotes healing, it encourages bowel function, builds stamina, helps get rid of mental "fog". You can walk in your robe and slippers in the hall, or you can put your shoes on a go outside if possible. Walking is almost a universal requirement for discharge from the hospital - and can usually be continued at home immediately, in limited amounts.

I'm glad you are feeling well, and enjoying the nice weather outside. I was still walking on my driveway at 3 weeks post-op, which also demonstrates what a variable activity walking is. I think the walking / resting combination is the trick for a good recovery.

Good luck! Hope your recovery continues to be smooth and uneventful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Absolutely. I have been walking/resting since the day I got home. I believe that has been a huge contributing factor in my speedy recovery. I do get fatigued but all in all I feel great!
Glad to hear everyone else is doing well too!
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Hiya Diddlydudette! Seems we had the same work done on the same day. I've been itching to get out and around the neighborhood but i get nervous that I'll get 2 blocks away from home and get too tired to walk back.
I walk around a lot in my back yard. It's good size, but I think it's time to venture out.
Do tell, how is your sleeping pattern? I'm dieing here. Hardly getting any sleep cus I'm still up every 2 hrs. to go to the bathroom. It's so annoying.
Glad to see you're doing so well. Keep up the walks!
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Oh it's so good to hear everyone agree about walking. I was going to post again and mention about how great it is for the 'FOG' also as Jane mentioned. It's a great help with that. I had a bad case of it for awhile but it's clearing up.

Syndie, I wish you lived near me. Wouldn't that be fun? lol I'm in SC and you're clear across the US. Darn! At first I was scared about my distance walking. First I'd do one block and see how I was feeling and if I still felt good I'd go around again and kept doing it that way until I safe to venture out further. I wouldn't go too far away from home to begin with. I have a lake near me that's 1 mile around and tomorrow I'm going to start doing that walk. It's flat and my car will always be close so if I tire. I started out like you and just walked around my back yard watering my flowers and that type thing and then I felt the need to venture out because the weather is just too pretty and nice. I guess we should count ourselves lucky about that to say the least.

Sorry to hear about your sleeping Syndie. I think I got fortunate in that I hadn't had any problems with my sleeping at night. In fact it's better than prior to surgery. Prior to surgery I'd get up at least once to go to the bathroom or I would just twist and turn. Now, I sleep like a rock and don't even get up and I get at least 6-8 hours sleep each night.

I guess the only thing I could say I'm going thru is that a lot during the day I get sleepy...not so much phycially tired, but just like I need a nap. I usually don't end up going to sleep because I get to doing something and before I know it, it's night. Maybe that's why I sleep so good. I don't take naps.

How is your appetite? I don't have as much an appetite as I did prior to surgery. I hope it stays like that. I'm loving it. I eat when my tummy growls and not just to be eating like I did before. Hopefully this will help me get rid of rest of the 15lbs I need to shed.
Unread 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes!

My doc's instructions upon my realease from the hospital were to KEEP WALKING! He said so many women go home from the hospital and lay in bed on or the couch all day for the first few weeks because they feel weak and tired. But what happens is that you get weaker and more tired and you will not heal as fast as you should.
I took his advice to heart and kept moving. When I first got home the weather was nasty so all my walking was inside for two weeks but I managed to walk a lot anyway. The poor dog thought I'd lost my mind I think as I kept pacing back and forth and walking round and round the living room!
Now, I did have a few down days when I just refused to walk. You know what? I would always feel worse the next day! When I just sucked it up and made myself walk I would feel a hundred times better, physically and mentally.
So this has been my advice for every woman considering or undergoing a hysterectomy - walk all you can! You'll be glad you did!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register