Scheduled LAVH what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy? what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy?

Unread 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy?

Found out today I'm having laporoscopic hyster, keeping both ovaries, nov 20. Not sure what to think - I'll be happy to stop bleeding, and feeling so bloated due to fibroids getting larger. And the back pain. Obviously I'm nervous, but at the same time I'm watching my belly get bigger and I'm not happy with the way things are. What would you have wanted to know when you first scheduled your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Re: what would you have wanted to know before your surgery?

How good I was going to feel when I woke up after surgery and it was all over with.
Unread 09-29-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
How good I was going to feel when I woke up after surgery and it was all over with.
Ditto.

Also: How easy my recovery was going to be. How at peace I felt.

I'll share with you the bad, so you're prepared:
1) My throat hurt a ton afterwards, due to the intubation. Loads of Hall's lemon cough drops.
2) The laparascopic gas ends up in your shoulders, for some reason. Walking around the day after surgery, while still in the hospital, alleviated most of it.
3) 2 words: Stool softeners.

Other than that, I'm super happy I did it.

Tell your friends, and you'll be amazed at how helpful people want to be. Mine took turns picking me up and taking me out for lunches and dinners. Initially, they were going to take turns bringing me food, but I honestly felt great to get out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM

I wished that a request for anti-nausea medication had been in place as part of the regime. I hate being nauseous and wouldn't you know it I started feeling it when I got back to my room. First they wanted me to see if it would pass and then I needed to wait for the medication to arrive. The time frame was probably short but the situation felt urgent.
Unread 09-29-2015, 07:15 PM

I wish they would have told me how swollen I would be after. I couldn't fit into anything and had to get my daughter to buy bigger panties and sweat pants for me!
Unread 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM

To worry less before and that I would feel SOOOO much better after.
Good luck!
Unread 09-29-2015, 09:39 PM

One of the only things I wish I'd know about before surgery is this site. I didn't find it until after surgery but it has been super helpful.

Here is some tips:

1. Pack lite to go to the hospital. You don't need much. Toiletries, chap stick, hard candies, phone w/charger, and a going home outfit (I suggest a pull over dress and slip on shoes).

2. DRINK A TON OF WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Stool softeners.

4. Have snacks handy around you "nest". You won't have much of an appetite.

5. Walk, walk, walk, and walk some more.

6. No matter what you feel, it's normal. Happy, sad, mad, etc...

7. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Ask away. Generally speaking someone on here has had the same question.

8. Relax.

Good luck. We'll be waiting here on the other side.
Unread 09-30-2015, 08:45 AM
what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy?

I wish I'd realized how the pain medications would have affected me. I already have digestive issues, and it took quite a while to get over the effects of the narcotics. I also wish I'd realized how bad the laparoscopic gas pain would be; it was the worst pain I'd ever had! Other than that, everything pretty much went as expected; thanks to this site, I was well prepared. Best wishes for your surgery!
Unread 09-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Re: what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy?

Important and helpful things to me that I would want others to know before surgery...
1) Take stool softeners as soon as possible
2) Ask for an abdominal binder and use it!
3) Anti nausea meds iv...do it if offered!...or ask!
4) I wasn't able to get up until day 3, so had baby wipes and dry shampoo which really helped me to feel better about myself!
5) Stock up your home with things that you love our may crave, since your appetite will be lacking...frozen fruit bars were healthy and tasteful, mint tea , chicken noodle soup and pretzels are the things that I couldnt have done without....and of course, water!!!!
6) I borrowed a shower chair for the first week, (had TAH) and turned my showers into a spa experience!
7) Last but not least, be kind to yourself and listen to your body! Don't be a hero, take your meds as prescribed ...one more thing, go for walks each day when you feel up to it, even if only for a few minutes!

Here's to a smooth recovery and a new you!!!
Unread 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Re: what would you have wanted to know before your hysterectomy?

I really wish someone had told me how much it might hurt when I pooped or had to pass gas. And about driving restrictions.

My other 2 cents: sometimes recovery is 2 steps forward/one step back, but that is ok. There really is no set recovery time and all you can do is roll with it. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to call the Doctor's office if you have questions or concerns. The occasional meltdown and crying session are also quite acceptable ☺

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register