Bladder Irritation IC? Hot flashes? Swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Irritation IC? Hot flashes? Swelly belly? Bladder Irritation IC? Hot flashes? Swelly belly?

Unread 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Bladder Irritation IC? Hot flashes? Swelly belly?

I am 4 1/2 weeks since my LAVH. I still have swelly belly.Grandma undies and loose fitting clothes are my best friend.I have been having problems for over a week with my bladder.I went to my gyno he did a culture and thought I had a UTI.I started drinking a lot of cranberry juice.It started getting worse instead of better.Went back to gyno. 5 days later.The culture for UTI was negative and so he did a potassium test to test me for Interstitial Cystisis. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is my problem as putting the cath and the water was very painful and burned.The water and potassium wereboth painful and I'm not sure that the potassium felt any worse than the water.I think that I'm very sensitive to catheters.I called the IC network's president in CA. and changed my diet drastically to take out all acidic food and drink.I haven't had coffee in a few days and it has been rough. My gyno tried to put me on 3 medicines(Elmiron,an antihistamine and an antidepressant).I was very unsure of his suggestions and researched these meds.My gyno wanted me to take these meds for 1 year and I refuse to take these strong medications with horrible side effects.I'm very sensitive to many meds. as they make me nauseus. Honestly, I'm so frustrated because I just want to feel normal again. I went to see my regular dr. the next day for a second opionion. She told me to continue the IC diet and continue taking pyrridium(makes you pee yellow).She said just changing my diet has already shown improvement in my number of voids.When do we start feeling normal and have some energy????I feel like crap and I am exhausted doing very little.The good news is that in the last few days I've gone from peeing 20 times a day to 11-12 so I'm happy about that.The pain, burning and sense of urgency is better also.I want to know what do hot flashes feel like because I've been having heat on my face, neck, and back with chills that last for several minutes almost like a feverish chill or shakes, but I don't have a fever. I started taking vitamins again because I've always been borderline anemic.I feel a little better today. Any suggestions about the bladder irritaion? Is this normal for hysterectomies?When do we fell like ourselves? How long does swelly belly last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Re: Bladder Irritation IC? Hot flashes? Swelly belly?

Gbarnhard

I'm sorry you're experiencing these things but you're certainly not alone and I hope others will be along soon to share. A hysterectomy is major surgery and it's still relatively early days for you since it can take anywhere from 3 months to a year to fully recover.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? It's packed with information and articles, including several regarding bladder issues following hysterectomy and the dreaded swelly belly.

Please try to rest as much as possible and be kind to yourself. Pamper the Princess!

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Hi, I had bladder issues and went through all the test for IC too. I too was drinking cranberry juice but at a visit to my gyno she told me cranberry juice was high acid and NOT TO drink it. I changed my diet too and bought some prelief it removes acid from foods you eat, not from your body, its a miracle pill, I learn about it from reading the IC NETWORK blogs. Its been over 2 years since my surgery and almost a year since I changed my diet, I can now have a little tomato sauce if I take 2 of my prelief pills first. I also found sweet and low was really hurting my bladder. NOW that I have babies my bladder for a long time I can have some now and then. I WISH YOU the best of luck.. read as many blogs on the IC NETWORK as you can you will learn so much from others! GOOD LUCK keep us posted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM

i also have ic. i wonder what that has to do with having to have a hysterectomy?
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree with Presouz and her suggestions. It does sound like you have IC and the IC network is a vast source of information. Strong medicines are not the only option. No one is sure what "causes" IC and for some women they have it for a while and then it disappears....it may return again another time and if so, is called a "flare." I was diagnosed with it two years ago and I've just come through a while when I've been doing really well. Then I had a UTI and have been having troubles again. You may have to try a lot of things to find out what makes your bladder feel comfortable and what causes it to flare up. I kept a diary for over a year just to figure out if there was common links to what made me feel terrible. Know that you are not alone! I know it can feel overwhelming to have to deal with bladder issues AND with the hysterectomy too. It's a challenge to stay "positive" but that's important for our health too! I'm sending good thoughts and a prayer your way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register