complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy

Unread 03-22-2015, 10:21 PM
complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy

New on here...I had total vag hysterectomy on 3/4 and had some issues with very low blood pressure and low oxygen in recovery. My surgeon also mentioned there was excessive bleeding so she had to go in lap to assist with finding the bleeder and to remove ovaries. No big deal,, she said, as they cleaned everything up and it looked good. Felt ok the next day, was sent home. Never quite felt as good as I'd hoped. Called office a few times during the week becuz of pain issues, feeling pretty crappy, with discharge with foul odor. On the 7th day, I finally told them I really felt bad and was very weak and dizzy. Told me to come in and they would work me in. Got there and she did a quick pelvic peek and admitted me immediately. Her thought was abscess on vaginal cuff, a CT scan was ordered. Had that done at 10 pm, nurses came in at midnite & told me it wasn't abscess but a hematoma. Surgery was scheduled for first thing in morning. It appears that during first surgery, she "may" have knicked an artery and so I was slowly bleeding in pelvis. I had to have 2 units of blood transfused before surgery. They went back in lap and vag and cleaned me out, found a small abscess and "took care of" it. Stayed in hospital 4 days afterwards to monitor my lab results. Started bleeding 3 days afterwards, saw doc 5 days after and she said its just leftover blood finding its way out and pain goes along with it. Still taking 2-4 mg Dilaudid 2-3x day along with 600 mg ibuprofen 3x day. Also on antibiotic, "just in case". Am now 10 days post-op from 2nd surgery and still bleeding, like a lite period. I seem to be more concerned than my doc. Anyone have a similar story?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM
complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus0214 View Post
New on here...I had total vag hysterectomy on 3/4 and had some issues with very low blood pressure and low oxygen in recovery. My surgeon also mentioned there was excessive bleeding so she had to go in lap to assist with finding the bleeder and to remove ovaries. No big deal,, she said, as they cleaned everything up and it looked good. Felt ok the next day, was sent home. Never quite felt as good as I'd hoped. Called office a few times during the week becuz of pain issues, feeling pretty crappy, with discharge with foul odor. On the 7th day, I finally told them I really felt bad and was very weak and dizzy. Told me to come in and they would work me in. Got there and she did a quick pelvic peek and admitted me immediately. Her thought was abscess on vaginal cuff, a CT scan was ordered. Had that done at 10 pm, nurses came in at midnite & told me it wasn't abscess but a hematoma. Surgery was scheduled for first thing in morning. It appears that during first surgery, she "may" have knicked an artery and so I was slowly bleeding in pelvis. I had to have 2 units of blood transfused before surgery. They went back in lap and vag and cleaned me out, found a small abscess and "took care of" it. Stayed in hospital 4 days afterwards to monitor my lab results. Started bleeding 3 days afterwards, saw doc 5 days after and she said its just leftover blood finding its way out and pain goes along with it. Still taking 2-4 mg Dilaudid 2-3x day along with 600 mg ibuprofen 3x day. Also on antibiotic, "just in case". Am now 10 days post-op from 2nd surgery and still bleeding, like a lite period. I seem to be more concerned than my doc. Anyone have a similar story?
I had a hysterectomy on the 12th of Feb my doctor left one ovary because I asked him too being 30 I didn't want to face menopause yet, I came home the next day after surgery I had trouble sitting on my bottom which was weird to me but I never thought anything about it, 6 days post op spiked a 102.8 temp went to the er where they did a ct scan which showed a few abscess, was then re admitted back into the hospital then taken back into the operating room on the 20th of Feb, he cleaned up the abscess and left an small opening in my vaginal cuff to allow draining from the pint of sterilized fluid he left in me, went home the next day after this surgery i thought I was doing well until one day I woke up extremely ill feeling but wasn't as bad as the first time I had no fever because I was on a high dose of anitbotics by mouth, went back to the er thinking it was maybe just dehydration only to find out through another ct scan that I had another abscess, went back to the hospital had my 3rd surgery on the 6th of March when I came too after the operation my doctor tells me that my only ovary that was left was infected so he removed it cleaned the abscess out again and removed my appendix because they were about to rupture, I really feel your pain and understand where your coming from I'm 2 weeks post op this time and praying to god nothing else goes wrong, I'm still very weak and tired not sure if that is normal taking a shower exhaust me...
Unread 03-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Re: complications from total vag w/assisted lap hysterectomy

Wow, I'm really sorry you're going thru this. It just seems like one thing after another. I just had an ultrasound and lab work done today. U/s showed small hematoma, so she explained that's where the blood is coming from. Plus, my pain is amped up because of the drainage being an irritant, so it will diminish as the hematoma shrinks--could possibly be several weeks. So, I guess I just have to suck it up until it's over. I hope yours resolves quickly..my thoughts are with you!! Good luck and take care of yourself!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register