five months out, and surprised to be back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

five months out, and surprised to be back five months out, and surprised to be back

Unread 02-28-2005, 06:03 AM
five months out, and surprised to be back

Hello ladies,

I haven't been posting for a while, and thought I probably never would. But it's actually nice to be back and read all your funny, testy, inspiring remarks. I'd forgotten how much you'd helped me!
I just passed the five-month mark since my TAH/BSO, and today am feeling not so great. I still suffer from swelly belly from time to time, and today feel an ache in the lower right quadrant. I guess I thought it would all be over by now. Most days I am just fine and actually forget all about the surgery, but then there are these inexplicable setbacks.
I don't mean to sound whiny, but I did wonder if other people have experienced the same thing. Other than occasional fatigue and about 10 extra pounds I don't need, things seem to be going well otherwise.
thanks and good luck to everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2005, 06:36 AM

Hi, Niniko -

Funny I should read your post this morning (when I should be doing my work!).

I went to bed at 7:30 last night after a long day downtown (Detroit) at the Art institute and then a 3-hour concert at Orchestra Hall, where my daughter was playing with her youth symphony. A lot of sitting, then fighting the cold winds to our car - by the time I got home it was straight to bed with no dinner - and 11 hours sleep.

I seem to do fine until late afternoon, then it's all I can do to fight the urge to put on my jammies and crash!

Are you exercising? Can somebody please tell me that if I got off my butt and walked every day that I would find the energy to make it past 8:30? I still get achy, too - guess it's hard, after all this time post-surgery, to distinguish between fatigue from eating all the Girl Scout cookies and staying too long at work, and the fact that I'm still healing, and things will gradually get better.

Contrasting to how I felt before surgery, though, I feel GREAT!! It's all relative, I guess....
Unread 02-28-2005, 08:23 AM

Hi Lucky,

thanks for writing. I, too, cruise my email to avoid doing what I should be doing.
I'm also generally an exercise nut, and I have resumed workouts, sort of, since getting back over here to the Republic of Georgia, where I live. I had my surgery in the US because the doctors/equipment over here are terrible, as they are in most post-Soviet countries.
Anyway, exercise is no magic bullet, but it does make me feel better. It's not like it erases all problems, it just keeps me from paying so much attention to them. I.e. while you are exercising you are thinking about things other than your surgery or whatever hurts or twinges. It seems to put things in a better perspective.
we also walk a ton over here, as we don't have a car. That really, really helps. It invariably improves my mood and gets rid of the twinges.
I guess these lingering aches and pains are just a reminder that this was a big operation, and even if it seems like we are back to normal, we're really not. The day you described seemed like a tough one, though. I don't think I could have lasted that long!
I do find that if I can take even a 20-minute nap on the days when I'm really beat, it is a big help. Gives me a second wind. And thanks for reminding me that I'm missing Girl Scout cookie season, I used to inhale those things!
good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 09:58 AM

Hi Ladies! I still have an occasional bad day..and sometimes I have all kinds of twinges and aches in the belly area that I thought would be long gone by now. I definitely still deal with swelling belly...

Lucky, I hate to tell you this, but getting off your butt and walking will do wonders for you! In fact, the day I walked 3 miles even though earlier my back was killing me, was the day my swelly belly was greatly improved! I do Curves too, but the walking seems to help the belly more than anything else. I am feeling really tired and not coping well right now, and I am SURE its because I was sick two weeks ago and could not work out, and then I sprained my ankle last week, and still can't work out! I can definitely see a difference!

That said, I think I will go take a nap!
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:19 PM

thanks, Monet. that really helps. The belly thing really bugs me, although days go by now when I don't even think about it. Then bam! it's back.
I guess it's time to stop stalling and start doing some situps...
Hope your ankle is back to normal soon, and you can get back to your exercise. good luck!
niniko
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM

I just passed five months myself. I haven't had really any problems, and then last week, after weeding the garden for 4 hours, I came in and was just shaking. I was cold and exhausted and couldn't seem to get warm. I finally wrapped up in a sleeping bag and laid on the couch - and my son said I was completely out like a light. It was the strangest thing. I thought maybe I was sick, but when I woke up, I felt much better. Just when you think you're doing better . . . something comes along to remind you what you've had done!!
Unread 03-01-2005, 02:18 PM

I just passed six months and everything is going great - I still get tired sometimes when I do alot of work (lifting etc.) and although everyone I know told me that I would not be able to sleep after the surgerical menopause - I sleep like a rock - I use to go to bed around 9 p.m. and watch TV until 11 or 12 - but now if I do that I am out within about 10 minutes. I do spend all day up and about, and don't sit down too much, but I never thought I would be able to fall asleep so fast - I was tired last night from a day long business trip and laid down on the bed to watch American Idol and I was out - missed all the performances - I woke up whent he cat sat on me and licked my face (he wanted to be fed) about 10 p.m.

I don't have any pain - I am exercising and eating right. I lost 15 lbs when I had the surgery and have not gained it back, but I should have lost more since and haven't. I can't wear some of my clothes - my belly is just too big and they are too uncomfortable - so I don't know where the 15 lbs came from - although my bras are looser - LOL. Just what I needed - gain weight in the tummy and lose it from the boobs!!!

Hugs to ALL,
Cat
Unread 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM

HI LADIES
NINIKO-WE SHARE A SURGERY DATE!

I AM STILL DEALING WITH FATIGUE ISSUES. I WONDER IF I RETURNED TO WORK TOO SOON. BEFORE I RETURNED, I COULD WALK DAILY, ATE WELL AND FELT LIKE I WAS IMPROVING EVERY WEEK.

THE FIRST MONTH I WAS BACK AT WORK, THINGS WERE STILL OK. WHEN I WAS TIRED, I COULD WORK AT HOME. I COULD TAKE THAT NEEDED NAP AND THEN PICK UP WHERE I'D LEFT OFF. I WAS ABLE TO BE QUITE PRODUCTIVE AND STILL RECOVER.

THEN, MANY CHANGES APPEARED IN MY JOB. I AM REQUIRED TO DO MORE DRIVING, SPEND MOST OF MY TIME IN THE FIELD, NO MORE WORKING AT HOME, WHAT IS EVEN BETTER IS THAT I AM REQUIRED TO PRODUCE THE SAME AMOUNT OF PAPERWORK AND MEET THE SAME DEADLINES.

I DON'T KNOW HOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO ALL THIS, EVEN IF I WAS TOTALLY RECOVERED.

I NEED MORAL SUPPORT!
RAYZEL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register