low carb while recovering? anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

low carb while recovering? anyone? low carb while recovering? anyone?

Unread 04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
low carb while recovering? anyone?

I lost 60 pounds prior to my hyst, but while recovering have not followed it. Lets face it, when you don't feel well it is too hard to follow a diet, just eat whatever sounds good!

Anyway, I have I mean had, polycystic ovarian syndrome, which caused me to be insulin resistant and unable to lose any weight. The only way (per doc) was low carb, and it worked. However, in the last 2 1/2 weeks I am 15 pounds heavier, I know it is my eating, swelly belly and inactivity, but I WILL NOT gain this weight back, has anyone resumed a low carb lifestyle while recovering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 09:39 PM

I am curious too. I would like to try the Southbeach Diet. I lost 20 lbs last year. I have 10 more I would like to lose. My concern is that a lot of low carb diets make you constipated and with the problems with gas and bm, it scares me. I am 2 1/2 weeks postop.
Unread 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM

I worry about the constipation too, but I normally (pre-op) only went like every other day and since I am NOT giving up the stool softeners yet I am going like 2-3 times a day! So, maybe. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 11:11 AM

I'm 2 weeks (tomorrow) post-op and I've been on a "low carb diet" for the last few months (I really only needed to lose about 15lbs and have done that now). I'm doing great with it. On the South Beach it doesn't mean you don't eat carbs - you eat the right ones. Since my surgery I have lost 6 lbs. Alot of it is that I just don't want to eat much, but what I do eat I try to eat healthy. I had my ovaries taken out and now on hrt and I'm not going to gain weight. I've had women (not here at hystersisters) that you will gain weight after the hysterectomy - I say not so. My mom had a hys at 42 years old and didn't gain weight (lost the last ovary then) so I know you don't have to. I also know that while you are recovering you are not as active (at least I'm not yet) so you do need to watch what you eat. Eat foods high in fiber. I had BM problems before the surgery (fibroids) and haven't had any problems since. Been going every day and doesn't hurt at all. I still take Phys husk every morning and then try to eat low carb - high fiber fodd during the day.(of course every now and then I cheat!). The only time I find myself gassy is when I eat soy - then I really get gassy - It's a little uncomfortable, but not painful. Just start taking the fiber slowly and increase every few days to let your body adjust to it.

Take care,
JAS
Unread 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM

I lost 10 lbs in the first two weeks post op because I had no appetite whatsoever. I wanted to keep it off so I have cut back on carbs (something which I have always LOVED) and eat small portions and NEVER have seconds. I snack on fruit. I don't follow any particular diet. So far (8 weeks) I have kept it off. I walk about an hour every day and am also determined not to get the middleage spread. My Mum also had a hyst, she was 44 and she is still skinny at 89, she never got fat. It can be done!

I think I got a big fright with the surgery and I feel I have been given a second lease on life and must do what is the best for me. So now my health is my first concern. It keeps me focused. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Unread 04-13-2005, 12:17 PM

I went back to my low carb lifestyle on Monday, I have lost 4 pounds and feel 100% better. . . . maybe all the sugar was bringing me down! Maybe it is the fact that I now know I don't have to gain 50 pounds because I had a hysterectomy!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register