TVH - Positive Post-op Story - it's not always so bad! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH - Positive Post-op Story - it's not always so bad! TVH - Positive Post-op Story - it's not always so bad!

Unread 10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
TVH - Positive Post-op Story - it's not always so bad!

Hi Princesses-to be!

I just wanted to add a positive note for all of you. It seems that most of the commentaries on the post-op thread can be kind of scary for those of you who are about to undergo your procedures. I'm here to tell you that it's not alway bad for everyone!

I'm 48 years old and had a TVH on September 28 due to a level 3+ prolapsed uterus. Things have a been a breeze for me! I was in the hospital for a little over 24 hours and went home the day after my surgery. I was up and walking within 3 hours of my procedure and, although I was on a morphine pump, I never needed to use it other than just prior to having my catheter removed and on the advice of my nurse. I've never needed anything more than over the counter Tylenol for the pain, even during my hospital stay, and was off those within 5 days of my surgery,

The day I came home I was easily able to handle the stairs in my home. I started to drive 10 days after my procedure. My husband booked a maid service for me for 4 weeks after my operation but I'm going to cancel them after their 3rd booking. I vacuumed today. I've been making meals since 6 days post op. I began walking outside the 3rd day I got home and as of 12 days post op I began a gentle return to my exercise routine by doing a half hour daily on the treadmill, not running but walking briskly at an incline. I've had no bleeding or spotting since I've left the hospital. I even raked leaves in our yard a few days ago. My "bodily functions" returned to normal 2 days after surgery - BMs and peeing became regular and pain free. I occasionally have a headache or lower back ache, but nothing that Tylenol can't take care of. I kept my ovaries and so far have experienced no hot flashes, mood swings or other hormonal side effects.

Now, obviously, everyone is different. I went into my surgery prepared to be almost bed-ridden for 4-6 weeks after reading up and talking to friends. I didn't experience that at all. I honestly forget that I've had major surgery most days.

My advice to all of you is to be in the best possible shape you can possibly attain before your surgery. I ran and worked out 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week for two years prior to my surgery (hubby and I had a total lifestyle change once our youngest went off to university). Eat well. Take vitamins and drink lots of water. Get plenty of rest.

Once you're home post -op, take care of yourself. Drink tons of water and eat LOTS of whole grains, fresh veg and prunes to get your bodily functions back to normal. Continue to eat well to nourish your body. Rest and listen to your body. Call your doctor if you experience anything you think is out of the ordinary - don't take any chances.

That's my story. I know how scary this whole experience is - I've lived it. Just remember, it's not always so bad!

My thoughts are with all of you and I send you vibes for gentle healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register