bowel prep (again!) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bowel prep (again!) bowel prep (again!)

Unread 10-22-2003, 02:42 PM
bowel prep (again!)

Since my pre-op appt is the day before my actual surgery, I want to ask you ladies about this in advance, so I can prepare. I asked someone in the dr's office if I was going to need a bowel prep. I am having TVH, with a TVT bladder sling and anterior and posterior repairs. She said no. I can't believe that, and I won't see my actual dr. until the day before, which is kinda late to get started, isn't it?
What do you think? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
miniroadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 02:54 PM
bowel prep (again!)

Who is this "someone" that you spoke to? If it was a nurse and she checked with the dr. I would trust it. I had a TVH and did not require a bowel prep. Many sisters on here have not had to do a bowel prep and after reading some posts, I'm glad I didn't have that nasty tasting stuff to have to hold down. Doing a bowel prep when not ordered to can result in complications. One woman on here ended up in ICU because she did one against dr's orders. I did specifically ask if I could use a gylercerince suppository the night before as I sometimes get stopped up and was told that was ok by the dr's office but we are all different. If in doubt call back and speak to the dr's nurse directly not a receptionist if that's who it was. Good luck to you. s
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
bowel prep (again!)

If they don't specifically tell you to do a bowel prep DON'T! Not all DR's require them. It is extremely important not to do anything they don't know about. Bowel prep dehydrates you. It is possible (and happened to a member here a couple of years ago) that if you do bowel prep on your own that you can go into dehydration shock after surgery.

And no, the day before isn't too late to begin bowel prep, typically you either drink the golytely stuff or do a fleets enema, the night before surgery.

Don't restrict your food intake without specific instructions, you'll probably be at least 24 hours without food as it is.

If you really think someone has made a mistake, call and ask to speak to your DR's nurse for clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 08:19 PM
bowel prep (again!)

Hi

My pre op prep was a fleet enema. Done the night before.

Nothing by mouth after midnight.

Morning of douche, and hibiclens shower.

I got my list and supplies at my pre op appointment.

Good luck.
Unread 10-22-2003, 09:48 PM
bowel prep (again!)

I did no bowel prep at all -- just no food or liquids after midnight the night before. I know in my doctor's office all of his staff seem to be acquainted with his procedures, but if you're uncomfortable with what you were told it's imple enough to call back and double-check.

Kathie
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:11 PM
bowel prep (again!)

My doctor didn't require bowel prep for my TVH either. I asked if I could, and he said it was up to me. I decided to do a Fleet enema the night before just to ensure that I wouldn't have to deal with a bowel movement at all the day of surgery. I don't know, but the thought of the first poop post-op is a little scary, and I thought it would be better to save that for later.

Kim
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks!

Ya'll are great! I gotcha on the doctor's orders; of course, that's what I should do. I was thinking about the "the first poop" and trying to delay THAT, but I wasn't thinking about the possibility of dehydration, which is far worse.
You are all invaluable, and thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

miniroadster
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by miniroadster

Ya'll are great! I gotcha on the doctor's orders; of course, that's what I should do. I was thinking about the "the first poop" and trying to delay THAT, but I wasn't thinking about the possibility of dehydration, which is far worse.
You are all invaluable, and thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

miniroadster
You know, I'm not sure how one could become dehydrated. They pumped me so full of fluids, and began doing that as soon as the hooked up the IV. I was keeping the nurses hopping because my foley bag was continuously full the first day. My eyes even became a little puffy (something I've never experienced) because of all the extra fluids. Either way, it's always good to talk to your doctor about what you're doing.

Best wishes for a great castle stay!

Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register