TAH Open Incision...Scared as heck. Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Open Incision...Scared as heck. Help! Open Incision...Scared as heck. Help!

Unread 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Open Incision...Scared as heck. Help!

Yesterday I went to my doctor because I had a small bubble on my incision that was leaking fluid like crazy. Wasn' t smelly and it was clear and a little pinkish at times. Steri-strips and then staples or stitches ended up not being an option due to the amound of fluid and a large unhealed open space under that part of my incision and up to my hip bone on the left side. So they opened it up a little more, cleaned it all up and stuffed me up with some Aquacel gauze strips. They added steri-strips to the other end of my incision because it looked like it was pulling apart, too. Then they covered me with some clear sticky tape all across my incision. I have to go back Thursday to get it cleaned out and repacked. I am so scared. I don't know how long this is going to take to heal. I don't know if eventually they will make me pack it myself. I am three weeks out today, and things should be getting better, not worse, and I feel really sad that my chances of returning to work in three weeks are 0% now. Anyone in the same boat or have experience? Don't feel the need to sugar coat anything. I need the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Re: Open Incision...Scared as heck. Help!

Hey there. I sure pray that you get to healing quickly. My story..no sugar coating..
Total abdominal Hysterectomy, Oopherectomy, lots of abdominal scraping done on NOV 15 2011 . (yep..a little over 4 months ago. ) I suffered with a lot of pain and scar tissue and opened up 3 weeks post-op. Had an infection. My opening was in the middle and was about 3 inches across. I was given antibiotic, and told to wash with Hibicleanse (sp?), let air dry really really well, and put sterile gauze. It did closr on it's own, but was a scary time. I had one small area inside that wasn't healing, and most likely the cause of the opening. Suffered alot with what I am told is scar tissue, but these huge hard areas come and go. Makes no sense. I did close up and seemed to heal. 3 Months post-op, I was feeling a little more inflamed than usual on incision, several days later, felt "wetness" in my incision area, and sure enough..I had a small pinhole in my incision that was draining. Back to doctor..back on antibiotics. they have done a culture both times I went in, and I have supposedly been on the proper antibiotics. I just keep going through a vicious cycle. Have faith in yourself and INSIST they see you/take good care of you. I've heard many, many great outcomes. I just don't happen to be one of them. 4 months later..still sleeping on couch and fighting with doctors. Still having crazy hard lumps in my stomach that come and go.
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks for your response, and for letting me know that I am not alone! I am so sorry to hear you are going through that. I take it that you have not gone back to work?
They stuffed me with some gauze that they have to change in the office. It turns into some gel-like stuff that they said will ooze out. I go back Thursday and then Monday, and they said each time they change it, there should be less and less space to fill. I swear they packed in like 2 feet of the stuff. I am really scared because during my hystetectomy they had to cut through my abdominal muscles due to scar tissue. I feel like that is what is not healing. I don't want additional surgery. Or mesh inserted in me. Or to be messing with an open incision thst has to be stuffed. The doctor said that if after my Monday appt she is not satisfied with my proggress, then she will order a CAT scan to see what is inside. I just have a bad feeling. I am so scared. I was a really strong person before this, but now I feel so weak and sad. Just was looking forward to never taking a birthcontrol pill again to keep my heavy bleeding in check, and to be done with periods. Now I wear a kotex on the outside of my abdomen to soak up the mess it's making. Ok, yhsts my boo hoo for now. Thanks for being there, and hugs and prayers to you for your healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Gosh-both your stories sound awful. Am so sorry you are having to go through this! I had TAH on 3/2. All was fine until my staples were removed on day 7. On Day 9, my incision popped open in 3 different places (all pretty small areas and supposedly fairly superficial-at least that's what the nurses and my sister (who is a nurse) tell me-I can't bring myself to look!). I am soooo frustrated at this whole thing and I don't even have to pack it! I am now down to just one open spot-had more bleeding there this morning, as opposed to the usual clear fluid so not sure what that's all about. I have to see my surgeon on Thursday for my 4 week post-op check so will see what he says about all this. It is just soooo frustrating as I am pain-free and have good energy levels and I can't believe I am still sitting around doing practically NOTHING almost 4 weeks after surgery. I actually miss working!!! Thanks for letting me vent. I hope you both heal well and that your holes close up soon!
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Ugh.. the pain and the unknown is what is so scary isn't it?? I am not back to work..but I have not worked in years bc I was diagnosed with breats canncer and had a bi-lateral mastectomy followed by chemo, and heat and lung issues.. FUN HUH!? We are always stronger than we think. I am so glad to hear that your doctor is wanting to do a ct scan for you. It sounds as though they are on top of your situation. That is ALWAYS a good thing.
I am sure you won't have to 'pack it' yourself until or unless it becomes a very small hole. I get the whole thing about not wanting to see.. The first time I opened up.. I felt something' funny', so I went into my daughters room to look in her mirror. (BIG MISTAKE). When I lifted my stomach to see the incision.. I thought I could see my lungs!! :-o
I know that I didn't..but ..ya know.. lol
My issue seems to be when my bowels (yuck) aren't regular..seems as though it is pushing 'something' to the surface. What that would be..I don't know. I will say a prayer for you guys (if that is ok with you). It is always better to heal from the inside out.. so have faith and remember that it , at least, will be healing properly.. not just a little on the outside and gaping on the inside.
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateydid14 View Post
Gosh-both your stories sound awful. Am so sorry you are having to go through this! I had TAH on 3/2. All was fine until my staples were removed on day 7. On Day 9, my incision popped open in 3 different places (all pretty small areas and supposedly fairly superficial-at least that's what the nurses and my sister (who is a nurse) tell me-I can't bring myself to look!). I am soooo frustrated at this whole thing and I don't even have to pack it! I am now down to just one open spot-had more bleeding there this morning, as opposed to the usual clear fluid so not sure what that's all about. I have to see my surgeon on Thursday for my 4 week post-op check so will see what he says about all this. It is just soooo frustrating as I am pain-free and have good energy levels and I can't believe I am still sitting around doing practically NOTHING almost 4 weeks after surgery. I actually miss working!!! Thanks for letting me vent. I hope you both heal well and that your holes close up soon!
Thanks! I hope you are all better soon, as well. Most frustrsting part for me is having to take pain killers again, and to have to rest more now, but my doc says if I am walking around in pain, then I am not relaxing and allowing my body to heal. Can't lay on my side now to sleep, so I am having trouble sleeping again. I think narcotics make it hard to sleep. They make me feel exhausted, but not sleepy. Back to sleeping in the recliner most of the night, and away from my hubby. I miss intimacy and snuggling. He snuggles with me as much as possible, but he doesnt have much time with work and taking care of me. And he is soooo good at taking care of me. I love him so stinking much!
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiNicole View Post
Ugh.. the pain and the unknown is what is so scary isn't it?? I am not back to work..but I have not worked in years bc I was diagnosed with breats canncer and had a bi-lateral mastectomy followed by chemo, and heat and lung issues.. FUN HUH!? We are always stronger than we think. I am so glad to hear that your doctor is wanting to do a ct scan for you. It sounds as though they are on top of your situation. That is ALWAYS a good thing.
I am sure you won't have to 'pack it' yourself until or unless it becomes a very small hole. I get the whole thing about not wanting to see.. The first time I opened up.. I felt something' funny', so I went into my daughters room to look in her mirror. (BIG MISTAKE). When I lifted my stomach to see the incision.. I thought I could see my lungs!! :-o
I know that I didn't..but ..ya know.. lol
My issue seems to be when my bowels (yuck) aren't regular..seems as though it is pushing 'something' to the surface. What that would be..I don't know. I will say a prayer for you guys (if that is ok with you). It is always better to heal from the inside out.. so have faith and remember that it , at least, will be healing properly.. not just a little on the outside and gaping on the inside.
I don't mind seeing it, but its hard to see with all this fluid filled swelly belly overhanging my incision. That is what grosses me out. I had the overhang because I had four kids, but it was like this empty bag of flesh that just tucked right in and didnt bulge. Now I look preggers.
I am praying for you, too. Thanks, I need it!!!
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Don't you just hate the **** belly??! Mine is like an overhang since my surgery. Pain pills are a beast, and I rarely take them because they make me all jittery. Ibuprofen (800 mg equivalent) is what gets me through. Your doctor is Right!! If you are hurting/swelling and still moving about, you are hindering your healing. Hard to do... but lay on the couch/recliner. ICE PACKS have helped me tremendously. 4 months later..still on the darned couch! I know all about the lack of intimacy and all..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register