Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect? Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect?

Unread 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect?

Hi. I have a question for those that had hysterectomies.

I had one ovary removed 10 years ago because of a lemon-sized luteal cyst. Since then, my other ovary has had a pretty consistent cyst, anywhere from 2 cm to 5 cm, back and forth. I know a luteal cyst, in pregnancy, secretes progesterone to keep the pregancy going for the first few months. I always wonder if a continual luteal cyst in me over the years has made me progesterone-dominant???

I have read that progesterone can slow gut motility, as that is why pregnant women are nauseated(I was BIG TIME). Now that I am 50, I was told I was officially in menopause, but at the same time, had a 3 or 4 cm cyst, a period just a few months before, and since, months with tender breasts.

My biggest problem is my stomach is soooooo bloated!!! I can't leave a normal life because of it. I am constipated and have to take laxatives. I also have a problem with lightheadedness(related to problems keeping my blood pressure regulated--it drops with standing).

I want to ask--for those that may have had cysts or a luteal cyst before their hyster., did you notice that AFTER your hyster. your bowels moved better, or bloating went away?

Thanks so much for your answers! If I knew that my cystic ovary was behind this awful 10 year bloating, I would have it out in a minute! By the way, we have been watching my ovary yearly through ultrasounds and testing my blood levels for the marker for ovarian cancer, and everything seems fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Re: Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect?

Hormonal issues can affect your bowels that is for sure!

What types of doctors have you consulted with? If you have not saw a gastroenterologist, I would recommend doing so. Even if your bowel and bloating issues are GYN related, a gastro may be able to help you. Mine did.

What options have you tried for treating the cyst(s). Are your doctors sure it is the same one? I ask because I had the two different CT scans taken in different years. In both, I had a cyst on my right ovary (not the same kind as yours). The radiologist compared the two scans and made comments about the cyst, assuming it was the same cyst. However, I had ultrasounds between those CT scans showing the first cyst resolving. Thus, if you have had scans several months apart, it may not be that you have the same cyst but rather keep having a new cyst of the same type.

When your doctor stated you were in menopause, what was the criteria used? Had you been without a period for 12 months? Was your FSH over about 40? Were you having other menopausal symptoms?

What options is your doctor suggesting for you? Does s/he believe removing the cyst or ovary would resolve your issues? Is your doctor recommending a hysterectomy along with an oophorectomy or removing the cyst? Have you had a second opinion about your situation?

I hope you are able to work with your medical team to find the best solution for you! You are doing the right thing by asking questions and looking for answers!

Unread 09-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Re: Hormones and gut motility-prog. effect?

I have been to many gi doctors, and they just tell me IBS-C, which doesn't even begin to address the bloating. Like I told them, I have been constipated my whole life and never had bloating during all those years.

I am in the process of seeing a new gi doctor who seems to have good credentials behind him, so hoping he can figure it out.

The ovary thing, can't answer all your questions. I just know every year, my gyn does an ultrasound, and we see a cyst everytime. When I go to her for pain, there is usually a larger cyst, otherwise it is just seen on ultrasounds or on my other-reason CT scans.

My periods have been erratic for the last few years. I would have about 1-2 periods a year, once about 14 months between! The gyn told me I was in meno, but I kept telling her I had other symptoms like breast tenderness on occasion. Even my FSH/LH were only in the 20s. So, definitely don't go by the rule that you are in meno when one year has gone by with no period!

This past spring my FSH/LH are in the 70s, so told I am officially in meno. The only thing I get is the occasional pain when pressing into my lower right side(or just rolling over in bed brings it on). It is just like when I used to get ovulation pain. So, I don't know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register