24 Hrs To Go & Soooo Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

24 Hrs To Go & Soooo Scared 24 Hrs To Go & Soooo Scared

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:25 AM
24 Hrs To Go & Soooo Scared

Hi All

Sitting here thinking about tommorow 02 May.
My TAH is set for 1300hrs & i am terrified.
I have been up awake all night & sick several times.
I am unsure if they are going to take or leave my ovaries . I have numerous fibroids & Endo.
Bev xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:47 AM

Sweetie,
I understand what you are going through. What you need is for someone to play with your hair, give you a backrub and tell you that it will be all right.

I am too far away to be much good, but if you want to pm me, I will be glad to listen to your fears. I know each of them personally, you could say that we are on a first name basis.

I will have a candle by my desk for you and will think about you today and tomorrow. After that you will be on your way to recovery. Doesn't that sound good?

Fears in the middle of the night are the worst. Soon it will be light.

Take care, and know that a Yank has your back.

q
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Thank You For Your Kind Words

Hi

Thank you for your lovely message, i feel so silly
for being so afraid. However i have never been in
hospital, never had an operation. I also haven't been
able to have children of my own & am feeling so very
sad & hurt.

Love Bev xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM

Don't apologize. You have so many things going through your head. Grieving for children that will never be...fear of the unknown...

When I had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured, I felt very down. My husband suggested naming the baby whom I would never see. It helped. Maybe you can pick out your favorite names and these angels can help you get through this.

My fears are too numerous to mention. What are yours?

q
Unread 05-01-2007, 02:26 AM

Dear BSCM, hang in there. First of all, before surgery they give you something to relax. To be honest, that is the last thing I remember, than I was waking up to the recovery nurse asking me how my pain was. Sometimes knowing what to expect helps belay the fear some.
They will take you back to a pre surgery area. They will get your vital signs, have you change into the styling hospital gown and then ask a bunch of questions. They will start an IV. You will meet the anesthesiologist who will give you that wonderful relaxing med through the IV. They keep you in recovery until your vital signs are stable and you are more awake. Then you will go to your hospital room. You most likely will be on a pain pump were you push a button when feel more pain. First day you will pretty much just sleep.
Couple of suggestions.
If you have a stomach that gets upset easy, tell the MD and anesth. and they can give you an anti-nausea medication so that when you wake up out of surgery you will not vommit from anesth.
Hopefully you will have someone home with your for the first few days. Not only to help get you food, drinks or whatever, but also to make sure you do not try to do to much.
Take your pain meds as prescribed. Do not try to be heroic or think that you don't need it. Every 3-4 hours will keep a nice steady therapeutic level. Do not wait until the pain gets worse, otherwise it takes longer to get relief. Have ice packs and heating pad available.
Ice for incision areas, heat for sore tummy and back.
You will sleep alot the first week and it is okay
It may take up to 5 days to have bm, thats okay
Take a stool softner while on pain meds, they make you constipated.
Drink plenty of water, green tea and peppermint tea are also good.
Do not be afraid or embarrassed to call your doc about anything.
Feeling "pressure" is normal.
You will have alot of internal stitches that will be healing, so take your doctors advice, no lifting, no driving for 2 weeks. and no sex for 6 weeks. Trust me you want to follow these.
Even if you keep your ovaries, your emotions will go up and down, it can take a couple weeks for anesthesia to be totally out of your system and hormones changes will be there. So it is okay to cry.
Above all, remember we are here for you, so you are not alone. Good luck, my prayers are with you. Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps,
Ophelia
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:28 AM

I too was terrified pre-op, but now that it's over, I can tell you that it wasn't that bad. Even the recovery time spent in the hospital. I had 2 C-sections prior to my TAH, and didn't have a good experience with them, so my TAH was actually a pleasant surprise as to how well they went. Good luck, and God Bless and Keep you )
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Hi,

I was also scared. This is normal.
You will be fine --

I found that going into the surgery w' a positive attitude has helped.

I didnt know if they were going to take my ovaries or not - They ended up having to take them.
All is OK --
The Dr. will only take out what really needs to be taken out.

Sad thing is that I now have to do another surgery because they found the cancer after they took the cervix out -
so now I have to have a radical done --- my next surgery is May 7th --
So I have the pleasure of doing this all over again. - What Fun!
This will be my 3rd time @ the Hospital in 4 months &
I am still scared/nervous -- like I said -- this is normal.
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Hi All

Your kind words have helped so much. i wonder why things have to happen in life, some of your situations make me feel so sad for you.
I just think things happen for a reason & it makes yu are a stronger
person at the end of it when you can deal with things.

It's 1600 in the UK & am now counting the hours.

Bev x
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM

BSCM, Best of luck tomorrow. I was so scared before the surgery my legs wouldn't stop shaking but before you know it you're asleep and waking up in recovery. I had not had surgery since my tonsils at the age of 7 so nothing for 41 years and I didn't know what to expect aside from what I read here which helped a lot!! Please keep good thoughts of healing and health and know this is the right decision for you and you'll be ok.
I have not for one minute regretted my decision to have the surgery and feel better now than I have in years. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Lorri
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks Lorri

HI lORRI

Thank you for your kind words, i have been shaking all day with fear. I really don't know what state i am going
to be in when i arrive at the hospital tommorrow.
Just want it to be over. i have never been so afraid in
all my entire life

Bev x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register