Too soon to go to school | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too soon to go to school Too soon to go to school

Unread 08-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Too soon to go to school

ok I am having a total hyst on friday the 10th I am supposed to start school on the 29. I have talked to my Dr. he said i should be able to but most ladies say No way I would apprcate ant advice on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2001, 02:08 AM
What kind of school?

College or high school? If college - do you live there or commute? How far is the drive? If high school do you drive or take the bus?

I had a TAH 7-12-01 and my experience has been that riding or driving a car on rough roads is uncomfortable - potholes suck.

How many books will you need to carry and how far will you have to walk? You should not be carrying more than 5 lbs for 6-8 weeks.

When I was a senior in college I had a cyst removed from an ovary and it was an abdominal surgery. I went right back up to school in less than a week (lived on the 3rd floor, no elevator, long walks to class). I was out for only 5 days. I do NOT reccomend this. The scar tissue I developed led to 3 surgeries in the last 18 months ... culminating in a hyst 4 weeks ago.

Personally - I think it is too soon and you should allow yourself AT LEAST 4 weeks before you go back. 6 weeks would be better, but I know how hard it can be to catch up. I wish I had allowed myself more time to heal then ... it would have spared me 3 years on percocet to relieve chronic pain.

Take care!
Pam
Unread 08-09-2001, 03:56 AM
I'm in the same boat

I had a TVH on 8/1/01 and am a full time college student and also work part-time. My school starts again on the 20th. My doc said he would clear me to attend class (not work-that would be 6 weeks) but to realize that I may be in for quite a bit more than I can handle or I may be fine. It all depends on how things are healing.

Based on how I feel now (day 9) after surg, I know I will be pushing it. Where I was certain I would be "super woman" and bounce back quickly before surgery, I now realize that isn't realistic and I need to just give myself time. Please keep in mind I am a 38 yr old woman not a 19-20 yr old either.

For what it's worth, this is my reality. Good luck to you with your recovery. I will be interested in hearing how things are going for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2001, 04:57 AM
Too soon to go to school

Hi Jamie, you must remember that a hysterectomy is major surgery. There are many , many stitches inside to heal and they must be given the chance to heal properly. When I had my hsyter, and it was an lavh so no external stitches, it took me at least 3 weeks before I could walk properly let alone sit or drive for long periods. You only have one chance at healing right and this is it. If you go doing too much too soon there could be problems further down the path. I hope I havent been too harsh , but I have spoken to girls who have done too much and a year later they are back having repair surgery. You take good care and dont forget that I will be saying prayers for you on Friday. Much love always
Unread 08-09-2001, 04:10 PM
same situation

I am having my hyst on sept 18. I am in college partime and work full time. My semester starts Aug 29. I decided to skip this semester and just take my time to heal.

Do you have the option of taking a web based class? I have taken 2 of those and they do not require going to campus, all is done from home on the internet. That way you would have to drive to school and sit in class for hours, you could work at your own pace

i don't think it would be a good idea to try to return to school that early.
Unread 08-10-2001, 10:10 AM
Too soon to go to school

Jamie,
I was attending college when I had my hyst (am still attending) I decided to play it safe and skip the semester. School books can be very heavy, I know some of mine exceed 5lbs. School will still be there. You only have one chance to heal properly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register