I was given a choice: ablation or hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I was given a choice: ablation or hyst I was given a choice: ablation or hyst

Unread 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I was given a choice: ablation or hyst

Ok, So, Today I had an appointment with my gyn.She did a pap and an endo. Biopsy.I almost died because of anemia related to mother nature gifting me a 52 day period.
She gave me the option of either a uterine hysto. Or ablation...My husband is an over the road truck driver and is home for 2 days every 3 weeks.He is on the east coast today and I am in the Pacific NW..They want to do the surgery( which ever I pick) either this week or nesxt.Meaning my kids will be home alone.I have a very responsible teen ager but I also have an autistic 8 year old..My question is..Am I going to be able to do anything as my boy is a very demanding "busy" little man, I'd really like to have the hysto. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Re: I was given a choice

BunkysPrincess,
If you decide to have the hysterectomy you will need help. Your body will not have the energy that you have before surgery. I have an 8 year old with Down's that requires a lot of attention also. My mother was here for 10 says and my husband helps out when he gets off work. If you can I would see if you can get a family member or friend to help. Especially the first 1-2 weeks. You never know what issues can come up with surgery, so having a back up plan is good. I'm about 2 week post op and home alone with my son for most of the day. I still am very tired but I'm trying to do things with him daily because I know he is bored also. I hope you can get some help. Good luck with your surgery and recovery,
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Hi BunkysPrincess,
I live in Washington state and my husband works up in Alaska as an airline pilot. His schedule changes every month and sometimes its weeks before we see each other. My doc suspects I have adenomyosis with cysts on my ovaries and have had pain and almost constant bleeding for years. I also have a 5 and 7 year old and I am becoming less and less of an active parent which is hard for me because most times I am the only one they have. I was given a few different choices of treatment but it would never "cure" it. Because of my time alone I decided I don't want to mess with it and can't risk getting sicker, I'm having the hysterectomy. That is the best choice for me in this situation.

I haven't had my surgery yet (september 8th) but my husband is using 2 weeks of sick time to stay at home with me. Some of the best advice I've heard yet is from this website... you only get to recover once. I would find someone to be with you. A well "you" is the best thing you can do for your kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM

It is not responsible of you to leave your teenager alone for long periods of time with a special needs child. Find someone to stay with them while you are having your surgery and are in the hospital.

When you come home, I would have someone come and stay with you for at least 5 days. Not only for you, but for your children. They require assistance and direction. You should be only be there to love them at this point while your body is healing.

Call your mother or a friend to come in and help.
Hire someone if you do not have family members.

You need to rest and sleep after a hysto. You will be in pain.
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Hi Bunkysprincess

I've had both procedures done. My ablation worked quite well for me(the hysterectomy was for other reasons).

The hysterectomy was definitely the more challenging recovery. I would not have been able to care for anyone for several weeks. Although the ablation was much easier, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park. I took several days off work and I felt swollen and achy for several weeks afterward.

It sounds to me like your life right now would make hysterectomy recovery a challenge for you. Have you considered having the ablation in hopes that it works, or so you can at least have more time to make any arrangements you would need for the much more extensive recovery from a hysterectomy?

When I was faced with the same decision you are, I came to this website and read about the risks involved in a hysterectomy. For me, I felt that it was very important to at least try something less invasive and serious first.

I hope you are able to make a decision that improves your health and is good for your family.

Unread 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM

I have my ablasion surgery schedueled for next wed..But its not "in office" like I assumed! I am SOOO nervous..I have been yelling at husband lol. He's coming home and if I need a Hysto because of other reasons, then I will wait til October when he can take several weeks off...although I don't know if I can stay put for weeks!
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM

I had an ablation in 2008. Mine was not in office...but it was day surgery. I was home and able to fend for myself and family within 12 hours. You do still need to remember you are healing and that you will be sore and need rest. Just listen to your body and all should go well.

As for the hysterctomy, I am 4 weeks post-op and would definitely say make sure you have help for the first two weeks. I came home almost pain free and by day three was overdoing it(as i look back). Day 10 it really hit me, pain/swelly tummy/nausea. Body saying slow down. I believe if I had listened from the start and taken it easy my first 2 weeks, I would of felt able to start back to work this week. As it is I will be waiting another 2 weeks.

Remember no matter what surgery you have....You have only one time to heal and to pamper the
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM

i had an ablation in outpt surgery about ten years ago for heavy bleeding. it worked miracles for me. i had the hysto for an entirely different reason (uterus blocking bowel). the ablation was a very quick recovery, was doing normal things after about two days. the hysto is another story all together. i am 3 weeks post today and am still taking my time recovering. my body tells me when it's had enough. hope all goes well for you, as it did for me.
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Re: I was given a choice: ablation or hyst

Thank you all for the words of kindness and encouragement.I no longer feel like I am in this alone!
I am still nervous about the surgery, but feel more optimistic about it..Thanks Everyone

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register