Will I be able to nurse? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be able to nurse? Will I be able to nurse?

Unread 09-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Will I be able to nurse?

After I typed up my 'intro' it just hit me. I have a three month old baby who is still nursing. Since this will be my last child (trying not to start crying again), I really don't want to have to quit nursing him in nov. when I have the surgery. (sorry, crying again) I am suppose to be able to keep my ovaries as long as things aren't bad when he gets in there. (Long story)
I have a hospital grade pump that I use almost every day and uses for two days after LEEP and CONE procedures.

Does anyone know if the lack of a uterus will stop milk production? I know it has something to do w/ starting it after birth. One more reason to cry and hold him tighter.

Thanks ladies,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Will I be able to nurse?

Hi there,
I am an OB nurse, and take care of alot of nursing mothers. You can still nurse!!!! It will be fine. Stress of the surgery may put a strain on your milk supply, but you can still nurse. You can talk to them about using drugs that you can still nurse with as well. I was also hospitalized when my youngest was a few weeks old, and my DH just brought him to me when he needed to eat, except at night when I pumped and sent it home.
Your milk production does start after birth, but it is the baby sucking that keeps it up and triggers the increases and such, so you will be able to nurse. Just make sure to check about the drugs you are taking and such. Also, one problem I had after being hospitalized after my youngest was that the nurse taking care of me didn't wake me up to pump, so I was very engorged.
I hope this is helpful and GOOD LUCK!!!
Lorraine
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Will I be able to nurse?

Thank you so much, I know I can ask my doc this later, but w/ all that is happening, it just came to me. I am so depressed about all of this already and hormonal from just having the baby. (crying again, sorry) Every time I look at him I am greatful, but I keep thinking that I will never ever experience another pregnancy, birth, and being a mom again. This is a lilttle comfort.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Will I be able to nurse?

You may have to pump and dump a few days but you should be able to nurse.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this with your baby so young.

Are you getting a freezer stash going?
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Will I be able to nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cundiff2001
Thank you so much, I know I can ask my doc this later, but w/ all that is happening, it just came to me. I am so depressed about all of this already and hormonal from just having the baby. (crying again, sorry) Every time I look at him I am greatful, but I keep thinking that I will never ever experience another pregnancy, birth, and being a mom again. This is a lilttle comfort.
thanks
I understand how you feel, my surgery was two weeks ago, but a couple of days ago it hit me as to what it all really meant. I have two wonderful kids, a boy 3, and a girl 5. I know I am so blessed, when I was 19 I was told that it would be almost impossible for me to get pregnant, so I am so grateful!!!!! I just want to encourage you that even though you will not carry a child again, you are always going to be a Mommy. Sending you lots of hugs ((((()))).
Unread 09-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Will I be able to nurse?

Here's a link to a Hystersisters' article about breastfeeding post op:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97142.htm

Hope it helps.
Unread 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Will I be able to nurse?

Make sure your dr, nuring staff, anesthesiologist and anyone else involved in your before and after care know you are BF. That will most likely change the drugs you are given. I had my GB removed when my ds was 8 months old and did NOT have to pump and dump. I have a very good friend who is a nurse and a IBCLE Certified lactation consultant. She told me that the only concern would be the anethsia which once you are awake is 90% out of your system. Also make sure to have pleanty stored up for after. My biggest issue was actually holding my baby to nurse because of the discomfort. I used my boppy pillow for support. Make sure too that you have a fridge and lots of bottles to store your pumped milk. Have your DH or SO bring the baby to you so you can nurse (if you feel up to it). Fenugreek is a great help in milk production, but make sure to clear it with your dr so there are no interactions wiht your other meds. Drink as much fluid as you can. Also get some ensure. I drank those since I didn't have an appetite and they helped greatly. Please feel free to pm or e-mail me. I can help you! Big Big

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register