LAVH is now a TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH is now a TAH LAVH is now a TAH

Unread 02-09-2002, 06:54 PM
LAVH is now a TAH

My doc originally gave me the choice of whether to do a TAH or LAVH. I have a prolapsed uterus, so I went home to do research. This website was such a blessing because it's so hard to find info. I decided on a LAVH because of the shorter hospital stay, no abdominal incision (other than the 4 small ones) and possibly less down time during recovery. I had a tubal ligation 13 years ago and figured this would be the way to go. So I went to see him to sign papers 3 days ago, and now he informs me that he can't do a LaVH because I've never had children and my vagina would be too tight. Wow, at my age a tight vagina is a problem! Go figure! So he said it would have to be a TAH. I am keeping my ovaries, but now I'm looking at a bikini incision and a 5 days hospital stay. In one way I am relieved because I was freaking about the threads I had read about over stitching the vagina with AP repairs, "husband's knots", etc. He said with the TAH my vagina will not be touched. Thank goodness for that. But I'm not looking forward to "swelly belly" and possibly a longer recovery time. So I went shopping today and bought new PJ's, and slippers and lots of other little things that I'll need to take. Made me feel a little better, like I'm getting ready for summer camp or something. My DH was with me. He picked out the PJs. I have my actual Preop on the 20th. My hospital offers hysterectomy classes as well, after the preop. I am not going because I have to go to work, but I guess the classes inform you on what to expect with the surgery and life afterwards. I thought it was pretty neat that they did that. I would have like to have gone, but I've missed too much work lately with running back and forth to the doctor. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I wish the surgrery date was here so I could get this over with. The next 2 weeks of waiting are going to drive me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2002, 07:05 PM
LAVH is now a TAH

Hi, Sue. I am sorry to hear about your Dr's inability to perform your requested method. I too was informed that a TVH was not an option because I had never had children. My physician was going to do a supracervical hyst but I opted on the LAH because of my high conversion possibility. I do hope that you can restore some level of peace after hearing this news. Take good care.
Unread 02-09-2002, 07:10 PM
TAH

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't understand what you mean by high conversion possibility. Can you elaborate? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2002, 07:33 PM
LAVH is now a TAH

I'm having a TAH Monday the 25th also, just found out this thursday that I needed one. That's why I came to this site to find out some info. (having lots of problems and doctor doesn't want to wait). I'm only 25 any advice for me??
Unread 02-09-2002, 08:43 PM
LAVH is now a TAH

Sue. The women that have vaginal hyst. also report swelly belly...because even though they don't have incision there are still LOTS of internal stitches. Swelly belly sticks around for awhile...but mine wasn't that bad. I had it more if I was on my feet too long...or sat too long...so I rested a lot - feet up the first few weeks. I walked around the inside of my house several times a day to keep circulation going...lots of trips to kitchen to get water...and then of course trips to bathroom

Barbi - There's lots of info. on the site. Check out the pull down at the top that says "more hyster sisters". Go to the helpful hints section and check out the "ladies in waiting" pull down. You'll find list of questions for dr...what to do to prepare your home..and list of items you'll need at hospital...etc.
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:39 PM
pamper

Pamper yourself. I bought the new night gowns for the hospital- something cozy & soft. The best advice was taking music to the hospital- I bought a walkman, burned some very personal and relaxing CDs, & took extra batteries. I had a harder time focusing on the TV so putting the headphones on and blocking out all the hospital noises kept me more relaxed than my blood pressure would indicate. Some special soap or shower gel for that first shower would be a special treat as well as small bottle of favorite lotion.
Rose
Unread 02-10-2002, 12:12 AM
LAVH is now a TAH

There are lots of good things about having a TAH vs an LAVH! You might be able to have it done with a spinal, if that appeals to you. Personally, I found the holes from a pre-hyst lap to be *much* more painful than my TAH incision (with more annoying scarring, too). Like you pointed out, no messing with the vagina. And people tend to think if you've had an LAVH that you'll be running marathons at two weeks. With a TAH they know you've had "real surgery". Don't fret, I was "cleared for everything" at 4 weeks, and back to riding my horse (carefully!) at 5 weeks. So a TAH ain't necessarily so bad.
Unread 02-10-2002, 05:44 AM
LAVH is now a TAH

Sue,

I'm with Linda...the cuts from the LAVH were more painful than the bikini-line incision from the TAH.

The doctor started out doing a LAVH on me but because of other problems inside, he finished with the TAH.

I have had little to no pain from the incision from the TAH, but those little cuts from the attempted LAVH really were annoying...especially the one "inside" my belly button...OUCH!

Sounds like you will have a nice long stay at the castle...5 days? WOW! Here in the states, unless there are complications, it seems like "standard" time in the hospital after a TAH is 2-3 days. After my TAH I was out the very next day, but for me that was a good thing...the hospital was a little too noisy and bright for my liking, it was GREAT to get back to my comfy house.

Wishing you an unevenful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:43 AM
Sue...response to conversion

Sue, conversion refers to the laprascopic surgery turning into a laparotomy (bikini or vertical open cut) during the surgery because of various reasons (i.e. uncontrollable bleeding, increased difficulty of surgery, surprises, etc).
Unread 02-10-2002, 12:49 PM
TAH

Thank you to all for your responses. When my tubes were tied, I had 2 small abdominal incisions and couldn't lift for weeks. I actually threw up when I got home (it was only day surgery) and split the stitch at my navel. Nice hole. It healed okay though. And, Horsewoman, I was actively showing my horse at the time, and was back on in 2 weeks, and made that open incision start to bleed. So I laid off the horse for awhile. I still have horses, but for the last 2 years I tend to look at them out in the field. Haven't ridden for sometime. They are fat and lazy. And you're all right about people not understanding pain or recovery needs unless they can actually see something wrong with you. If you have a cast on your arm they'll help. If you've had internal sx, they say You look fine-get to work. Most people don't understand. There's a woman at work who has just returned from 8 weeks off because of a TAH. She had a bikini and midline incision. I've been doing my best to remind everyone to help her so she doesn't have to do any lifting etc, but unfortunately after only 2 weeks back I still have to remind everyone. We're lucky to have a good boss though. He's happy to let us work as much as we feel we can do when we return. The other girl started back part time, and he told me I could too. We'll see. I'm planning a full 8 weeks off. I do feel much better about the fact that the doc won't be mucking around with my vagina with the TAH. I've read so much about too many stitches and repairs it's so scary. I went shopping yesterday and bought new pj's and toothpaste, shampoo, etc. to get ready. Started on the house today. As for the cuff thing, my doc has put me at ease about it, as well as the threads here. I had quite a fit over that issue! Thanks for all the help so far.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register