5 Days Post Op Da Vinci | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 Days Post Op Da Vinci 5 Days Post Op Da Vinci

Unread 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Days Post Op Da Vinci

When I first started reading these boards, some of the reports I read here made me very anxious. On July 9, I found out that the results of my July 6 D&C showed I had endometrial cancer and would need a total hysterectomy. I am 59 and have never had major surgery.

I was not able to get an appointment with the Gyn/Onc my doctor recommended until July 21 and I was very stressed at that appointment. I went alone as my husband had hip replacement surgey on June 19 and is having a difficult recovery.

My doctor scheduled me for surgery the following Monday, July 26. I told him that I was very anxious and was there anything he could give me for that. I know that opinions vary on anxiety drugs and I am usually in the minimal prescription use but I felt I needed something. He prescribed Xanax and it made my life so much easier for those few days leading up to surgery.

I had worries of all the things that could go wrong during surgery including damage to other organs. I had worries about dealing with the pain after surgery. I had worries that my surgery would end up converted to an adominal surgery. The Xanax helped with all of that.

My surgery Monday went fine, none of my worries occurred. My highest pain level was during the night on Monday night and it was only a 4. I was off morphine by midnight the day of surgery. They removed the catheter at 4:00 am (I was awake at that time as I was having trouble sleeping). I was able to urinate shortly after that. I went home at 9:00 am Tuesday, the day after surgery.

My recovery at home has been great. I have problems sleeping but had those before the surgery. I was up walking around from the beginning. I was taking two naps a day but yesterday and today only rested in bed and never fell asleep.

I feel blessed my recovery has been so easy. Today I went out to lunch with my daughter and enjoyed it. I also feel very guilty that my recovery has been so easy. My husband's hip replacement was over 6 weeks ago and he is still on strong pain pills every 3 hours. He has constant pain. He was doing a little better before my surgery but had a setback and is basically on bed rest with limited walking with the walker. I am taking Ibuprfen every 6 hours and 1 pain pill at bedtime mainly so I can sleep. And I'm not sure I even need them.

Everyone is different and all will have different recoveries. I will not get my lab results until Thursday and am now stressing somewhat over that although my doctor said his first impression is that the cancer was contained. I am still taking the Xanax but at half the regular dosage.

I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Re: 5 Days Post Op Da Vinci

Hi Fran,
I had Divinci on 7/22, just a few days before you. I, too, am feeling great and really feel pretty close to normal. We're so lucky that medicine has made a traditionally long term recovery into such a short one. Unfortunately hip replacement hasn't improved with recovery time yet. You're so lucky you are up and around again so that you can do more for your husband! Keep the positive attitude and I pray your lab results will bring you peace of mind.

Ginny
Unread 07-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Hey Fran-
I'm glad you've done so well - I know it's made your life easier w your husband also in his post-op recovery. And w your situation of waiting for pathology results, it's so much less stressful waiting when you're feeling good too! I'll be thinking about you Thursday and sending good vibes your way - let us know how your results turn out!!

I think my daVinci results have been nothing short of miraculous too! I'm so thrilled w how everything turned out and how speedy my recovery has been. Feeling great and so happy w my decision!!

Take care, Fran - keep us updated on your results!
Di
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2010, 02:30 PM

Davinci Radical abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral total pelvic lymphadenectomy and para-aortic lymph node sampling, with removal of tube and removal of ovaries on July 20. I have not had much pain at all. Gas and BM pain more than surgery pain. Intestines hurt more than anything. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer so I am waiting for the pathology report to come back. I guess I could have called the doctor, but I am avoiding the results even though I am sure it is going to be good. God has seen me through a liver resection in November of last year (very major- 20 tumors removed) and now seen me through the da vinci. He has plans for me. I hope you all feel as good as I do. I am not going to be able to take hormones but I have not really needed any. Just hot flashes but nothing major. Heal, Pray, Love........
Unread 07-31-2010, 04:03 PM

3dognight -

I am so glad to hear that things are moving along well for you.

Remember you are still very early recovery (not a week yet) so make sure you take things slow. Those small incisions can be misleading as to what all was involved in the surgery. Take your time and heal.

My gyn-onc told me to expect a 6 week initial recovery from daVinci maybe 8. I went back to work at 6 and was exhausted for the first few weeks. He also told me that daVinci patients are usually ahead of abdominal recoveries for the first 6 months but after that everything levels off between the 2 recoveries.

for both you and your husband.

G.
Unread 07-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Unfortunately I have been only working part-time, self-employed since last July when the company I worked for could no longer afford employees. I do some work for them as a contract worker from my home but it is now only about 5-10 hours a week. There is just no money and the two owners have not had paychecks in over a year so I am thankful for whatever work I get from them.

I have been job hunting for over a year but the job market here in Orlando is horrible. I did a phone interview with an HR person a few weeks ago and she told me they received over 400 applications for the job I applied for. I don't have high hopes of finding a job soon.

But since I work at home, I can start doing a little work next week.

I spend most of my day in the recliner and walking around the house so I don't think I am overdoing it.

Fran

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register