Lupron Shot Effects........... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron Shot Effects........... Lupron Shot Effects...........

Unread 11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Lupron Shot Effects...........

Good luck, I am tinking about you!!
I also am walking the insurance tight rope, it can be so frustrating. Be glad you have a Dr. that understands that, my previous Dr. told me it was not about the money. Obviously he did not live in my house lol.
Hang in there.
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2003, 10:59 AM

I was put on Lupron, the idea was for me to get 3 shots before my surgery to try to shrink the endo. My bleeding was heavy but nowhere near like yours.

It:
-Gave me brain fog.
-clouded my vision.
-gave me serious joint pain (worse than the endo and cysts !)
-lightened but lengthened my periods, to 10 days, with about 4 days off in between. Yee ha. whoopee. What a relief. NOT.
-gave me depression, which I already suffer from.
-made my hair fall out. My one good feature.
-made my skin sore all over.
-wasn't covered by my insurance.

And now it's wearing off, Thank God !!!!!! I just have the 'normal' pain from the endo and cysts. Waiting for A.Flo now.

If I were you, I'd demand the surgery ASAP. If you need a transfusion NOW, to delay makes no sense. The lupron might not work because your bleeding seems to be out of control, if you have needed tranfusions now. I'm not a doctor, but severe blood loss like that ? I think it should be treated, and not with the Lupron 'bandaid' treatment ! I don't think lupron works on too many of us, and the ones who is doesn't work on, we'd be better off never to have ever tried it. Keep trying to get through to the doctor, I know mine needs several phone calls before he's on the ball. Keep on the clinic too, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Unread 11-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Deep thought

Thanks for your remarks!!
I am going to see how today and Wednesday go. Frankly, I am not certain how this is going to shake out. If I do not stay prayerful, I will lose my mind.................
I never expected to gush after the Lupron............
Life is full of unexpected wonders, is it not, sisters?

HOLD ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Wow!
Ameera
Unread 11-11-2003, 01:07 PM

i started on lupron in july while having my flow the next day no
more bleeding haven't bleed since but has gained weight
Unread 11-11-2003, 01:22 PM

Had my hair trimmed today, stylist believes that I have a 3rd of the hair that I used to.....not that I couldn't have afforded to lose some because it was really thick....but I cannot believe what I find in my brush and clothes and everywhere else everyday.It has gotten alittle less now that the lupron is wearing off.

Kris
Unread 11-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Lupron

I am not saying my time with Lupron was without side effects, but having it stop the horrible bleeding which was controlling (dictating) too much of my life and activities was worth it.

I had severe anemia, and the shot made me extremely nauseous-just thinking about food was repulsive. Because of this, I ended up losing quite a bit of weight in 6 weeks.

I also had leg cramps at night that made it uncomfortable to sleep. I had crying jags which were unexplainable.
But finally having the shot kick in three weeks later to stop the bleeding was so uplifting to me-I felt hopeful that I was on the right track and doing the right thing. My mental state improved, which made everything else tolerable.

Karen
Unread 11-11-2003, 05:20 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am no fan of Lupron and have posted more then once about what in my case was more cons then pros. =-(

As for the hair loss mentioned here in this thread. I too was VERY anemic.
For those of you 'sisters' who also suffer from anemia from your blood loss. Have you noticed hair loss?

My hair was falling out big time before the Lupron shot due to my blood count
which was 6.0 at the time. The Lupron may or may not have made more hair fall out. I have no way to know about that.

I am happy to report that my hemo is 12! =-) My hair is filling back in. (I am taking skin hair & nail vitamins)

There is a site that has been posted on here before that I read that was good for information. In my case to help me not think I was loosing it' (BAD side effects from that dang shot) Knowing I wasn't alone from sister's here and the info. on the site was helpful for me.
*HUGS*

Febie
It's GONE! Kept ovaries.

www.lupronvictims.com
Unread 11-11-2003, 10:15 PM

I noticed I had about a quarter less hair than I used to, when I put a barrette on. Usually I have to force it shut. It slid out of my hair. Hair ties that used to take 2 turns to go around my hair now need three turns. It is visibly patchy and thinning. I have not been bleeding enough for low iron to be the cause, I believe it's all Lupron.

Let me just say my hair is my one good feature, down to my hips, and this does NOT please me at all. Add to it all the suffering I went through on Lupron, and let me just say I will never, ever consider having the drug ever again. Ever.
Unread 11-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Hair loss

I also have experience hair loss all year! This is before Lupron.
Last December I was transfused with 3 units and then out came brushes of hair. I looked like I had a cat in the house because on the back of the sofa where I sit........lots of hair!
I believe that is due to my ongoing anemia.
Bought 2 wigs just in case it got any worse this year. Hey, even if I have to buy it....it is still MY hair either way! lol
All seems calm today.........but I am experiencing nausea also (yippieeeeeeeeee-I could stand to lose about 100 pounds) and I hope it continues.
If my period would stop and my hemoglobin has a chance to catch up.......I am going to fight to get up to 14 if I have to. I want to live again!
I really appreciated your detailed insights on the Lupron thing. Hopefully by next week, I will be doing better.
I LOVE YOU ALL! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!
Muahhhhhh!
Ameera
Unread 11-12-2003, 11:41 AM

I too am not a "Fan" of Lupron. I have stage 4 endo and lost both my tubes during a routine Laparaoscopy that was just supposed to diagnose the Endo. Surprise.

I did have my period during my surgery and received my first Lupron shot the next day.

I had my first Lupron Shot on May 10th and had the following:
NO MORE PERIODS (very, very little spotting)
Cramping at the end of the shots
Pains and bleeding when I over do it.
Bone Pain (Ended up in the ER for that)
Joint Pain
Muscle Pain
Hair Loss (OMG! What a mess)
Insomnia (Melatonin helped for a while)
Hot Flashes
Night Sweats (literally had to get up and change)
Mood Swings (DD thinks I am Bi-Polar)
Low Sex Drive
Tired, Tired, Tired!!!

I had my last shot of Lupron on October 3rd and my First Shot of Depo-Provera on October 31st and so far:

NO PERIODS!
All of the above plus:
Crying fits
Depression
ZERO sex drive
Anger fits

I am going to get a 2nd opinion and make a decision on how to prceed when this Depo-Provera shot wears off. In 3 months!

I am over all the drugs.

Stacy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register