Why does the cervix have to go? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why does the cervix have to go? Why does the cervix have to go?

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Why does the cervix have to go?

I am scheduled for a TVH on Aug 30th. I was given the option 2 years ago to have an ablation procedure to lessen my horendous periods and try to correct my anemia problem. Well
because of fear I chose not to do it.
I now have a 15 cm uterus with a fibroid embedded in the uterus the size of a softball. Do you think that because I opted not to do the ablation that I caused this? I really am
having a hard time accepting that I now have to have a hysterectomy, but I cannot stand the pain anymore and the constant having to go to the bathroom. I kept telling myself that the reason I was visiting the bathroom so often was because I had to much sugar the day before. Silly me. I asked my doctor if I could have a TVH instead of the TAH that he suggested because I hear the recovery time is less. Is this true?
He said he will try. I do understand that he can get started with doing it one way and complications can arise and he may have to switch.
I know I need to let go and let my doctor do what he is best
at doing, but I am having a hard time with it, .
Lastly, I had my last cigarette tonight as I only have 2 weeks until my surgery and was told to quit smoking 2 weeks before. I really feel I can do it because I don't want to add to the complications that may arise. Do you think that it will make a huge difference quitting 2 weeks prior?
I know I am rambling, it seems that I can't help it these days. Thanks for listening!

Oh the most important question is - Why does my cervix have to go too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM

With a TVH, it is anatomically impossible to retain the cervix.
If you really want to keep your cervix, you can't have a vaginal hyst.

After just 24 hrs of non-smoking, your body starts to heal from the damage smoking has caused. Your body will be much stronger for recovery after the hyst, and you're less likely to develop complications with anaesthetic if you're a non-smoker -- even for 2 weeks.

You did not "cause" the need for hyst by not having an ablation. Many ablations fail and you may have ended up here anyway. No one can predict their future, and you made a choice you were comfortable with at that time -- don't beat yourself up over it!
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM

I had a TSH, abdominal - and my surgeon took half the cervix.

In some women, the lining of the uterus moves down into the cervix - and that's where mini-periods come from! :-) [heck, I'm 51, and gravity has had MANY years to work!]

This month was my 3rd 'period' - this time, there was a thin bit of tissue, and the tiniest smear of stain. Hmm...must be a bit still there!

Anyway, that's why cervixes can be removed even with abdominal surgery. Cervical cancer is definitely another reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2007, 11:53 PM

My hyst was a TAH. I am glad to have my cervix gone. I have had a cone biopsy for pre-cancerous cells, a polyp removed and a few abnormal paps. I no longer have that worry. I can honestly say that I don't even know its no longer there.
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:13 AM

if you prefer a tvh, your cervix has to be removed. if you do some research and find that you'd rather keep it, you'd have to switch to a tah, lah or lsh (and maybe others that i dont know the names of). does your dr feel that you could be a candidate for an lsh? you can keep your cervix and ovaries with this surgery and the recovery is very easy.
congrats on quitting smoking. thats the MOST wonderful thing you can do for your health and those around you. it will make a big difference during surgery and your anesthesiologist will appreciate you quitting.
you still have time for a second opinion or to ask you dr about any other options you might have regarding the type of hysterectomy that you have. whatever you choose, please remember that waiting is the hardest part and you will be fine. you will love your life with no more nasty periods and pain.
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:23 AM

I thinking quitting smoking is a great idea. You want your oxygen level high
in your blood for surgery. I prepared my body before surgery and had a great outcome. I too had an enlarged uterus 10 weeks pregnant size I
had a procedure 3 years before to remove all the growths but they came back. I was very scared before surgery, it was no where near as bad as I thought. The first 3 days will be rough have someone to help you. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and doing well. Rest take care of yourself and enjoy your healing time after . My thoughts and prayers for all that are about to go through surgery you can do it have the positve outlook. It will be so much better afterwards.
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:11 AM

Wow, I didn't even think about the no smoking thing. I smoke too and maybe I should try to quit, but with the stress of this procedure, that may be difficult, I will definitly try to cut down.
I am having the TAH and the cervix is going too.
I too had abnormal cells on my cervix about 22 yrs ago and they did a cone biopsy, I have had normal paps since but its no big deal to me if the cervix goes in fact, I think I am glad about that. Less worry right?
Unread 08-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Hi Verbena42,

The two hyst types that keep the cervix are the SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hyst) and the LSH (Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst).

Did your Dr. suggest removing the cervix or was it because a TVH was discussed?? In pre-op, my Dr. told me I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy. Also, my Dr. said he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex.

If your cervix is healthy....I agree that maybe you have time for a 2nd opinion. Never hurts to gather more information. A hyst is major surgery so there is no reason that all your questions are not answered before surgery.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM

I quit cmoking with the medication "Chantix"...it was the only thing that ever worked for me. Its great! You can look it up online.
Unread 08-16-2007, 06:53 PM

Verbena, I agree with historylady, she knows her stuff! One of my Drs told me only about half the Drs can do the LSH--make sure your Dr isn't offering it just because he can't do it. I ask the nurses. My recovery was short and sweet compared to what some sisters here have gone through. If you have a healthy cervix, make sure you have all the options. Read about the LSH and see what a great way it is to have a hyst.

It's your body, you have choices. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register