Another visit to the castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another visit to the castle Another visit to the castle

Unread 11-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Another visit to the castle

Hi Everyone,

Just when I thought I was all done....here we go again
on the 18th of November.

This time to make sure I don't have any cancer cells left anywhere from a malignant tumor inside of my left ovary.

At least this should be just outpatient, which brings me to this post. I'm sure at least a few of you sisters have had just a lap procedure done...any comments on how long of a stay it was, if any? I'm being told I could most likely do an epidural and be home the same night. Surely it is a much faster recovery than a TAH/BSO!

I also have to have a CT scan with barium prep kit....what all is involved with that? It doesn't sound very good (especially since I am somewhat claustrophobic).

Anyway, I really would appreciate any info....I'm just worried they will find something, which would mean chemo. But at least it's being caught early and I am very happy about that!!

Thanks, a mostly bummed out Tazz :cry:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2003, 09:30 PM
:wave:

I am not familiar with the procedure, but I wanted to say I am sorry you have to go back to the castle. It sounds like they have caught it early and that is good.

I have had a barium enema, it's not too bad, it just cleans you out real good.

The cat scan shouldn't take too long and usually doesn't last long.

We are here for you and I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

s
Unread 11-04-2003, 07:10 AM

The CT with Barium prep kit isn't as bad as it sounds, Love! They have you drink some chalky tasting orange flavored drink about an hour or two before you're scheduled to have your CT scan. That's all the prep kit is...it helps them get a better view of whatever it is they're looking at/for because the barium "glows" in the photos the CT takes.

As for the Laproscopy, I had that proceedure done April of this year. The proceedure is pretty simple. They'll put you under general anesthesia, make 3-4 small incisions (one in your bellybutton, one directly above your pubic hair line, one to the left about 4 inches and one to the right about 4 inches. They'll pump some sort of gas into your tummy to help them see (the gas, after the surgery will cause some minor discomfort in your shoulders) and then they'll go in and remove or fix whatever the problem is. I was in and out the same day after spending an hour in recovery. I think, all in all the proceedure from start to finish took about 4 hours...including recovery time.

Nothing to be worried about, Love! I was "down" for a couple of weeks before I could get up and move around, but, then I wasn't in any big hurry...I was staying with my Mother in Law and the longer I was in bed the longer I had peace...hehe!

Best Wishes for you, Sweets! Don't worry...all will be well! You'll be back up and running all those fun errands in no time!

La Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 09:48 AM

Thanks, La Donna and SuzieQ!

I feel a little more at ease now. The only tricky part might be getting to the CT scan appointment after drinking the barium at the office

They did tell me they would schedule it as "on observation", but most likely I should be able to go home that day and I tend to recover very fast. I guess if I was jogging again at 5 weeks after the TAH I shouldn't worry about this one. I'm more worried about what they might find

I'm sure glad all you sisters are out there!!
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:11 AM

Tazz, are you having the lymph nodes checked? I had to have a second surgery for that and it wasn't a lap procedure. Almost the same recovery for me as the TAH. Count yourself very fortunate to be able to do this with a lap.

Linda >^..^<
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:28 AM

Hey Linda,

Yes, that's what the oncologist told me he would do along with taking numerous biopsies from the omentum (stomach) and pelvic area. He said it would be a lap and had they known there was cancer at the TAH they would have done it then, but the tumor was on the inside of the ovary.

Maybe my doctor has a different method? He did mention that there isn't anyone in Colorado Springs (a sizable city) who could do this, so I'm going too Denver at the hospital he is at.
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:14 AM

I think it is great that it will be lap. Will be easier on you then another incision and everything moved out of the way again, like mine. The second abdominal surgery really wiped me out. I imagine my gyn onc just doesn't do the lap procedures and likes to look inside. He is on the older side so may not want to learn new tricks at his age. I would still have it done again to be reassured fo the outcome. I had a CT scan too...that barium they give you doens't work through you fast so you should make it to the procedure ok. I had the second surgery because my gyn onc said it was the gold standard for making sure there was no spread. If I had just had the CT scan done there was only a 90% certainty that is would catch anything. 10% was too much for me, didn't want that thought hanging around at the back of my mind, "what if it is there and comes back?". Good luck to you!

Linda >^..^<
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:26 AM

I hear THAT...whatever it takes to make sure nothing else is lurking around anywhere!
My doc also did an inhibin blood screen, pretty new, and it's supposed to be more specific for this rare type of cancer I had.
So, between that, the CT and the lap I guess it should be reasonably thorough.

Glad you are cancer free now

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register