Any Suggestions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Suggestions? Any Suggestions?

Unread 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Any Suggestions?

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 22nd and I am trying to make sure I have everything in order.

Items I bought and/or will be taking to the hospital:
toothbrush/toothpaste
deodorant
lotion
change of clothes
2 books to read ( I am a fast reader)
my IPOD
lip balm

Only things left is to make sure home life is comfortable and my kids are taken care of. I am just so anxious and ready to get this over with.
Am I missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Re: Any Suggestions?

You'll need to pack a nightie unless you want to wear the hospital gowns. You should also pack some pads in case you are bleeding. Don't forget granny knickers!

I packed two books as well - picked one up but couldn't read it as I was so woolly headed from the meds that I couldn't concentrate. I found magazines to be better while in hospital.

The waiting is honestly the hardest bit. I found it really difficult in the lead up.

Good luck!
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM

The hospital does have pads and stretchy underpants plus other toiletries. With the IV you'll probably want the hospital gowns. You might like mints for your dry mouth and possible nausea. Not necessary but nice. Your list sounds pretty good. Best wishes on your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM

a small pillow! best thing for after surgery, I needed mine at night, when riding in the car to hold against my tummy and when I had my first few bowel movements.
Unread 08-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just want to make sure everything is in order. I only have 30 days before my surgery but time is ticking away pretty fast.

Unread 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM

I agree with the magazines as opposed to books. Even Readers Digest is a good choice because it is hard to concentrate. Socks are good because the floor is cold and full of germs. I like to keep my feet covered. A comb or hair brush is good.
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Yep I will have the brush packed but I don't have any hair to come. I have a very short cut (for convenience)
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM

I agree with magazines instead of books. I took books and never read them. I didn't feel like reading until I was 3 weeks post op. I did wear my own nightys after the 1st night. If you do that, just make sure its a really loose one -- but I appreciated not having to worry about showing my back side. I took undies and didn't get to wear them. But I had an abdominal surgery - not sure what your having. I too had my IPOD and sooooo glad I did. It was helpful in helping rest at night and blocking out the hospital noise. Your list looks good! If you forget something, the hospital will have it all. Don't worry.
Good Luck!!
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Make sure you have non slip socks. Our hospital requires you to wear them and gives you a pair upon admission due to fall risk.
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM

I'll be taking minimal things and wearing what the hospital gives me but one thing that someone mentioned was a small stuffed animal to rest your IV hand on. I wish I had thought of this for my other procedures.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register