Let's talk incisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Let's talk incisions Let's talk incisions

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Let's talk incisions

Ok, I am feeling very alone on this issue.. .I have not seen one post where anyone has had their staples as long as I have.
So far, I have had them in for two weeks and one day, and I still have another week to go!
I have a vertical incision, with 42 staples top to bottom!! Thats a lot of metal!
Also, my incision is dry, white flaky, and scabby like when you skin your knees.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

After one week, I went to my Dr. post op, and he told me that I wasn't healed enough to take the staples out..that I would split open before I got to the parking lot if he took them out then. So that is why I was told 10 more days. It seems that reading on here, most of you have had your staples out the first week!

I should add that I am a fluffy princess, so maybe the extra weight on the belly is just more of a problem when it comes to opening up again?

I'm just curious....did you count your staples? my hubby wants to take pictures of it!! :wowee: sort of a before and after photos. ok, ok, we do have a weird sense of humor here! Smile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Let's talk incisions

Hi,
I had my staples about two weeks, 30 of them! My husband was fascinated by them! They were starting to drive me nuts. My doctor did say because I am fluffy she would let the staples stay in longer.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Judy
Unread 04-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Let's talk incisions

i spent 4 days in the hospital and they took mine out before i left the hospital i am no very fluffy so maybe they have to leave them in a little longer if you are fluffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Let's talk incisions

Hi Bluegoose
We had our surgery on the same day. My staples (about 30 of them) were left in me till last Friday - so nearly 2 weeks. The dry and flaking skin is normal...skin will also feel itchy too.
The nurse that removed mine said that our bodies start to object to the staples as foreign bodies after a time, which makes sense.
I have steri strips across my vertical incision now for stability...yes, I am fluffy too!
Unread 04-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Let's talk incisions

I'm a little fluffy and had 32 stables, but I had mine taken out about a week after my operation.
my doctor was pleased with how well I was healing and I also had the icky scabbing.

I'd relax and let it slide and be thankful that they didn't take them out to soon.
Unread 04-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Let's talk incisions

Just wondering: why some doctors use staples and some use stitches?

Also ... some use the ones that dissolve on their own, as mine did.

I wonder if it's just a doctor preference, or a reason for using staples over stitches?

Also: wonder why some do a vertical cut VS a horizontal cut? I had the low horizontal bikini cut.

Just curious ... anybody know?

Dee
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Let's talk incisions

I was told the use of staples/stitches is totally up to the doctor. Mine always uses staples. I had them removed and replaced with steri-strips on day 3 just before leaving the castle.
I had a bikini cut but it was right on top of the incisions from previous surgeries, so he wanted to go in the same way and clean up some of the scar tissue.
Kimberley
Unread 04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Let's talk incisions

i had my staples in for 7 days then steristrips. i had a bikini cut done
Unread 04-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Let's talk incisions

Don't fret girlfriend. I had the vertical incision and had over 40 staples and they were in for 2 weeks. I think taking a picture is a good idea. I didn't do it and now I wished I had!!!
Unread 04-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Let's talk incisions

I had Glue.... Can you believe that? It took 10 days and it started to wear off... Strange feeling..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register