Something left in after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Something left in after surgery? Something left in after surgery?

Unread 05-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Something left in after surgery?

Has anyone had any trouble with something being left in after surgery? I had my Hysterectomy Aug 4, 2006 and noticed right away there being a lump under my tummy. Also felt like something sticking me at times.
The sticking feeling is still there and now there is a sore that my reg. doctor first thought was a boil but upon checking it, found it to not be a boil. Well a band aid was kept on it with an antibotic for awhile and it healed. There was only a bruse the size of a nickle left. Then it opened again and does some draining, so went back to doctor and she thinks it could be a skin ulcer. I have been to a dermatolist too and he just gave me an antibotic to use.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Do you think it would show up on an ultra sound? What could be there that would keep sticking me inside?
Thank you for any and all help or ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2007, 02:46 PM

I would think it would show something in an x-ray or and ultrasound. I watched a show on Discovery about 100 weird things removed from bodies. They showed alot of x-rays. I hope you find a DR with the answers you are looking for. best wishes
Unread 05-26-2007, 07:02 AM

(((CrochetLady)))
I don't really know what this could be, but obviously something isn't right here. Have you been honest with your dr about your suspicions? I would think if there were something in there you would see it on some kind of scan. I hope you can figure out what's causing this, no matter what it is. I would keep asking until they figure it out. Let us know if you get any answers.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM

Aw I hope you and your dr figure what is wrong, and i would ask for a x ray to be safe. ask your dr if he thinks there is something still in you. I asked my dr LOL if he left anything in me when i came woke up after surgery he reasured me nothing was left in me but the metal clips for the apendix they took out.
Hugs
Lisa
Unread 05-26-2007, 07:19 AM

i'm sorry you are having these problems. i would think any foreign body would show up in an xray. have you had one? or a cat scan?
since this has been going on for so long, maybe a second opinion is a good idea.
Unread 05-27-2007, 08:29 AM

An X ray will show, as well as a CT scan. I received my medical records and found that right after surgery they had a miscount of instruments and sponges and took me straight to Xray to determine if anything was left inside. The Xray indicated no instrumentation or sponges left. It was interesting though, my family was never told this and I developed a post op infection that all most lead me to going septic. But I jokingly said this to the Dr. that took care of me in the hospital and he did not find it funny. Of course I didn't find this out until 6 weeks post op.(about the miscount) I feel OK now, but the thought will always be in the back of my mind if something develops.
Unread 05-27-2007, 08:50 AM

I would ask that an x-ray be taken ASAP. You never know,
Unread 05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Results of X-Ray

Well everyone I got the x-Ray taken yesterday and today the doctor called me with the results.
She said the results showed nothing was left in durning the surgery. She said only thing that showed up on the x-ray was clamps and things that are supposed to be there after the surgery.
So I asked her if one of them could be causing the sticking. She said they are in too deep to be causing the sticking to my skin or to be felt. Then I asked her what do we do now to find out and she saids to talk to a surgen. I said OH you mean go in and see if they can find what is causing it. She said yes.
So ladies I am stuck now (excuse the pun) (OUCH! that hurt) as to where or what to do from here. Any ideas??
Unread 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Well on one hand I'm sure you are relieved that they didn't leave anything. At this point I'm sure you are frustrated and worried. I'm sorry that you are going through such a struggle to get the answers you need. I pray you find the answers soon. Best wishes.
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Well I stuck to that sticking problem and guess what?

Well sisters thought you all might like an update as far as my sticking feeling and that sore on my tummy.
So here goes. Yes the sore is still there and keeps opening up and running also has a very dark bruse, or at least that is what I want to beleive it is. Pain is not just a sticking feeling now it has graduated to a burning feeling. I called the hospital and asked to talk to the person that reads the x-rays and all they would say is sometimes x-rays don't show everything and maybe I should ask my Dr. about having a scan done.
So I talked to her and she said that probably wouldn't find anything either, and she offered to send me to a surgon.

So I went to a member of my church that is also a Dr. and told him about it, he checked it and saids it is a place where they parted the tummy muscles to do the hyst. and it has come open again, yes a herina, located where the large and small intestants join. He also told me that it won't heal on it's own and needs help. Now you may think I am crazy to take his word, but he has been a real life saver for me and has helped me through depression and times when I just didn't care any more. He also told me years and years before the reg. doctors found it that I had a problem with my gallbladder. He has helped rid me of migranes, so bad that the only way I found to stop them was to literly bang my head againt the wall.
Now you ask so what kind of doctor is he, he is a charopractor. One that has never lead me wrong and knows exactly what he is doing. So I called my doctor back and got a referal from her to see a surgon. Now I must say I am not in a hurry to go into surgery again, but this burning has got to stop. I am also a little worried about this what I call a bruse that doesn't totally heal, oh by the way it is getting bigger. I know they did a test on what they removed the first time and said there was NO Cancer, but I still worry that just maybe they missed something. I see the doctor this Fri.
OH dear I have set here and wrote a book so I will close for now. A big Thanks to you all for your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register