Postop loner? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Postop loner? Postop loner?

Unread 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Postop loner?

A quick but urgent question (I have probable TAH-BSO plus a few other things Monday, due to large ovarian mass):

Is it completely insane for a middle-aged woman who lives alone to go home from the hospital, three to five days after this operation? (I do have another option, but it's complicated.)

If so, why is it insane? And how long should I expect to need help with the proverbial "activities of daily living"?

What type of in-home assistance might be available for hire in this situation? Any idea of the cost and whether insurance might cover it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Postop loner?

Not sure on costs or the option to hire, but I do know I could not get up off the couch or out of bed alone for almost 5 or 6 days. I didn't have a TAH but a robotic LVAH and only have 4 small incisions. I also could not walk or stand for long periods of time which meant cooking was out of the question and you won't be able to drive either.

I would definitely NOT do the post op alone for at least 7 to 10 days.

s
Marla
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Postop loner?

Hi Plutonian
I could do almost everything for myself after surgery, EXCEPT things that required me to bend over (turning on the shower, picking up dropped items, etc.) You can get up alone, get water, food, go to the bathroom, etc. It may be good to have someone (a friend, relative, etc) come over for a few hours each day to pick up after you (I kept dropping everything ) and help with the showering.
After several days at home, I was able to bend over enough to turn on the shower, and pick up the essential items I dropped...
Oh - I am 40, and had a TAH/BSO - vertical incision.
As everyone says - everyone heals differently. You may not have a single problem with being by yourself! Or you may need help for several weeks.
You should have a list of reliable people to call near you, just in case!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Postop loner?

i didnt have a tah but i did have 2 csections, hernia surgery and my lsh and i needed no help after any of them. once the hospital stay is over (try to stay there as long as possible on iv pain meds and it will make coming home that much easier), you should be able to get to the bathroom, get up and down out of bed (if you can do it in the hospital, you can do it at home). prepare meals ahead of time so you can just heat them up and not have to stand for long. walking and getting up is good for you and helps prevent blood clots.
it really all depends on so much...but i'd have a list of people handy that you can call just in case you need help.
good luck with your surgery..i hope you feel better very quickly
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Postop loner?

I would go with having someone on stand-by that you could call, just in case. I was completely able to take care of myself when I got home after a two night stay. But, do you have steps you'd have to use between bathroom and food and drink? That could present a problem since you aren't supposed to do it often in the first few days.

Good luck!
Unread 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Postop loner?

Is the complicated option of asking for help closed if you don't PRE-arrange it? Could that person be "on call" and come day 2 or 3 if you're not coping well? Isn't it amazing how differently we all heal? I had a TAH w/ BSO with a long horizontal incision. I couldn't care for myself at all. Getting out of bed was rough and the cleaning of the wound was too hard to reach on my own. A shower was exhausting so it was nice to have a hubby there to hand me a change of clothing afterward. We have stairs so getting a meal or glass of ice water would have been impossible. I'd get a friend to be there for 2-3 days. You would be wise to get mini meals frozen now to have on hand. I'd also get my "nest" all ready. You need lots of pillows for proping. I put a tray on my nightstand to protect it from icy cups. I had a pad of paper and pen to write dr. questions and document the times I took my pills... believe me it's EASY to forget. I had a pack of thank you notes there to. I'd have some chap stick, hard candies and kleenex there, too. Maybe you should get some extra comfy outfits and have those all washed and stacked up ready to go. I'd put some pads out so you don't have to reach under a sink to get them. You can NOT reach down AT ALL. My shower knob is high otherwise I couldn't even shower alone at first. I hope you do well and can make the best decision for you. I will say that I was reluctant to ask my sister to come help and she was thrilled to be helpful to me and very touched that I felt we were that close.
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Postop loner?

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

I don't have any stairs to negotiate unless, god forbid, the elevator breaks down. My biggest problem, really, is my two cats. You gotta "get down" a lot to take care of cats, as I'm sure many here know all too well.

In general, bending obviously is an issue, but here's what I'm wondering: What about squatting and kneeling? Are those doable in the early days (and are they allowed)?

It sounds like the biggest negative, in general, about doing this alone is the danger of "cheating" and doing stuff that might endanger the incision. Unfortunately, my very small social network is relatively far removed from where I live and my location is one they'd all prefer to avoid, travel-wise. My "other option" is staying with someone (male). One of the many problems with that option is that it would put me at some distance from my doctors and my hospital. If I were to develop symptoms during the acute recovery period requiring their attention, it would not be impossible to get to them, but would definitely involve some delay (compared with being at home) and hassle.
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Postop loner?

OK-I am not being clear enough... for some of us this was beyond painful and squatting and kneeling would have been impossible. Not just difficult... impossible. I'm going to encourage you to stay with that male friend. I don't think you'd have to get to your own drs... just any dr if something on the off chance goes wrong. This is just for about 3 nights and then you'll be ok to be on your own. Can you raise the cat boxes up? You only get to heal once. I read that when you strain and tear at incission points you build up even more scar tissue that may have to be addressed (surgically) later. You don't want to do that. Take care of yourself. Heal well. If you're at his house and feel fine you can always go home... or milk it for all it's worth and really get the pampering you deserve Princess!
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Postop loner?

try to call your local churches (even if you do not belong) to see if the pastor knows of some kindly women who will help you, explain you are new to reclusive and that you are having a hyster.... I bet you will find a fleet of gals who can relate to your surgery, it is quite a sisterhood, everywhere, not just on this website.

i did not have any bladder repairs and have one cat. I use a litter product called SPACE from Trader Joe's that lasts for one month for one cat, maybe that will help you for the first couple weeks, to not have to scoop. it is a silicon product that actually soaks up the urine smell and is the best litter product I have ever used.

I can bend and I can walk, shower, stand long enough to put on makeup etc. but am not cooking. Prepared meals of just those lean cuisine type things that you can microwave for the first couple weeks, and a premade salad or two in the bags they last a long time and you just need to add dressiing and a handful into a bowl.
A cleaning person to come once a week while you are at the worst, say 3 or 4 weeks then see how you are doing.

If you are not comfortable staying with a male friend, you can do this alone, just prepare yourself. and have someone who can come by maybe watch a movie or just hang out with you off and on, or who will be there to answer an emergency call, You can always call 911 and get help there, they can arrange transportation to the hospital of your surgery as well.
You can do this on your own, just get some people lined up to help if needed.
Unread 08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Postop loner?

Hey Plutonian,

Is your TAH on sept 13th? Mine is on monday (aug 13th). I to am all alone although I have someone to take me and pick me up from the castle. But when I get back home I will be going it alone. I'm working at getting my house and yard taken care of. I went shopping today and bought lots of microwave meals,soups etc. I have no 4-leg kids so I don't have that to handle. I bought one of those long handle grabbers to help me pick things up. Hoping all will go well...........and can let you know how it goes. Best wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register