Vertigo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Vertigo

12 days after my TAH I woke up very dizzy. I felt like I was being spinned and I could not focus at all! I could not even move my head without being dizzy. My husband took me to the ER and they said I had vertigo. They gave me a medication but it has not helped. I have my 2 week appointment today and I am going to try and find out. Have any of you experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyomar View Post
12 days after my TAH I woke up very dizzy. I felt like I was being spinned and I could not focus at all! I could not even move my head without being dizzy. My husband took me to the ER and they said I had vertigo. They gave me a medication but it has not helped. I have my 2 week appointment today and I am going to try and find out. Have any of you experienced this?
Ive had vertigo twice and both times was told there is absolutely nothing you can do about it in the ER. You can take meclazine OTC to maybe help but thats it. Just lay down and dont move to quick. Takes between 3 days to 2 weeks to recover
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Re: Vertigo

I had vertigo at about 12 weeks post op. My GP said it had nothing to do with the surgery or hormones, that it was my ear crystals being out of whack. But I never had it before, and it does seem to pop up on this forum a bit. I think there must be some weird connection. But it did go away after about a week and a half total. I mostly got it when I was rolling over in bed, or getting in or out of bed. The meclazine didn't do anything for me. The doctor gave me some exercises to do, I don't know if they helped or not. I still get a little dizzy feeling at times, but the room doesn't spin anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM

I experienced vertigo about 7-weeks post op. I'd never had it prior to surgery. I had it about 5 times and then nothing since. It was very disconcerting! I did some research and found that the lack of estrogen can cause vertigo-like symptoms. Who knows? There were so many unexpected sensations, discomfort, swelling, etc. during the healing process. The good news is that at some point you start to feel healed and whole again.

Happy healing,

Bluemoon
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Vertigo

I am almost 6 weeks into recovery and am feel great. I have been having bouts of vertigo and am unsure why! I am going to be seeing my physician on Friday March 1 and will hopefully be released. I am still having days when I get extremely tired. I haven't been sleeping well and was wondering
if anyone else is having issues with being tired, not sleeping well and vertigo?
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM

I was just going to post something about this. I am 6 days post op. The feeling I am getting is not so much the hard spinning that I have felt before with vertigo. (I have TMJ and get it from that every once in a while) But its a slightly dizzy/nauseated feeling. Kinda like the feeling that I would get with morning sickness. My doc said that it could take up to 10 days to get the anesthesia out of my system. I'm wondering if maybe that's it?
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:21 AM

I had bouts of vertigo for years, due to inner ear problems. I am post op 4 days now, and I experienced extreme vertigo upon immediately awakening from surgery. I just thought it was from anesthesia. However, the Dr. told me that when they perform the surgery, they practically have you upside down on the table. I think it's the action of having your head down for such a long period of time, and then bringing you back up to original position. I know that is what did it for me. I had to stay in hospital an extra day because I could not even move my head and they didn't want to send me home. I know from experience that anything can set off my vertigo, and that it never really goes away once you get it, and can experiene it at anytime. I get lightheaded often, and the crystals in the inner ear is never the same again. I suggest you move slowly, don't get up too fast or make sudden movements. It does take days to recover, but like I said, it doesn't really ever disappear. Sorry you experienced this, it's a horrible feeling.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register