A week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A week post op A week post op

Unread 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
A week post op

Hi everyone,
New here and wanted to share my experiences to date.
Had TLH on the 8th June. Surgery went well and I spent just the one night in the hospital.
First night home was terrible, didn't sleep very painful, but I think a lot of that was the general anesthetic wearing off.
Have felt very lethargic most days. Made a decision to eat very light meals for the first week, so have been eating toast, soup and crackers.
Thought I was doing okay until night 5. I had extreme abdominal pains and couldn't sleep. They worsened and I finally woke DH as I thought I needed the ER.
I struggled out of bed, almost fainted from the pain and promptly vomited everywhere. Very, very unusual for me.
Ten minutes later a repeat, this was followed with diahhrea for the next several hours.
Yesterday I ate only clear soups. Today am back with diahhrea again.
Have not had the constipation others suffer with, but urination at start and loose bowels are VERY uncomfortable.
Have had a rash on my stomach, torso and thighs since day two, which spread to my arms. Nurse said Benadryl , didn't work.
Doctor only gave me tramadol and ibuprofen - which to be honest have done zero as pain relievers.
Am hoping to take a walk down the street today, but am nervous about eating ANYTHING !
Hope others are healing well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Re: A week post op

Sorry you haven't been feeling so well. My recovery is harder than I expected, too. I'm on Day 9.

You know, I have that same deep red raised rash over my lower belly, incision (abdominal), and extending down to the tops of my inner thighs. It doesn't really feel like much but it's gross looking. I was wondering if it might be a reaction to the betadine that they poured all over me? It's only on my front side which is why I'm thinking it might be from the betadine rub?

Good luck!
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:53 AM

I am so sorry to hear you are having a rough recovery. I think the rash could be from the betadine too if they used that. I did not have a rash and my doctor did not use betadine...

Have you called your doctor about the troubles? I would keep an eye on fever and such. They medicine can cause vomiting but usually not diahhrea. I would call the doctor and ask if you should watch for other signs.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys for your responses.
I too think it is the betadine, but was surprised it spread to my arms.
Am checking temperature at regular intervals and so far is normal.
I shall see how the weekend goes and then if needed contact the doc.
I feel if it wasn't for the gas and stomach issues I would feel pretty good.
Just back from a short walk with DH not bad.
One day at a time right ?
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM

7 days since LSCH: thought I was doing well I was wrong I feel like crap. I am a side/belly sleeper so sleeping on my back which btw has been hurting me, is out of the question. I cant sleep and if I dose off its only for a short period of time. I have the steristrip rash very bad pain and itch. My lower abdominals/upper pelvic area is throbbing in pain. Percocets didnt help. Family has no clue. If anyone can tell me when the pain will stop I would be very grateful and is it normal to be more depressed then usual?
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Chununchon,

OK don't be too hard on yourself. I am at the two week point now and have had a mixture of the kind of days you are talking about and others that are great.

I too am a side sleeper, and found that a travel pillow I have which is kind of kidney shaped and I bought from Walmart has helped a bunch.

I tuck it under my boob and my belly and the fact it supports your belly helps a lot.

Try a heat pad, I found that was my only real relief when the pain was bad, bought mine from Walgreens and is a plug in electric one.

It does get better, and I know that when you are feeling like you are, you think it never will.

Hang in there, and if dozing is all you get take it. Sometimes the General Anaesthetic can take a couple of weeks to get out of your system and that can screw up your sleeping.

The rash will disappear almost overnight, try taking benadryl and see if that helps.

yes depression is normal I have days when I burst into tears for no reason and days where I feel great.

Stay strong !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register