Should I get 3rd opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I get 3rd opinion? Should I get 3rd opinion?

Unread 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Should I get 3rd opinion?

I am currently waiting on a date for robotic hysterctomy. My gyn has been following my symptoms and by ultra sounds and things have gotten worse. I have always been a heavy bleeder but didn't know that it was not normal. It has been getting heavier most months and I'm averaging every 3 weeks instead of my usual 4. I am anemic and usually only feel well for 1 week out the month. I have 2 large endometriomas that have remained basically the same for 4 years and laSt year it was confirmed I had a fibroid which has now grown and causes pressure on my bladder. My fibroid is 7cm... up 4cm since last year and the surgeon could not get a endometrial biopsy due to my cervix being displaced and the placement of the fibroid. I was told by both doctors that I could wait but most likely it will only get worse over the next 10 years before it gets better or I could get mirena because I can't take oral be because it makes me very sick (but because they could not get biopsy I don't know if this is even a option anymore) or lastly I could get hysterctomy removing uterus, tubes,, and cervix and they would try to clean endometriomas from ovaries and leave them. They are hoping they can do everything robotic ally but won't know for sure until they go in. I'm feeling very nervous and overwhelmed about all of this. Am I missing an option? Should I get another opinion? Currently these are the recommendations of my gyn and surgeon. I am 42 and have 3 children. So me needing my uterus is a thing of the past. Besides the surgery I am very worried about hormone changes. I honestly became a very depressed and crazy person while trying to be on bc to help control my bleeding. I never want to feel like that again... ugh I'm so confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Re: Should I get 3rd opinion?

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time! I don't think you can have an IUD (Mirena). I had one after my myomectomy to remove fibroids ... the Mirena was fantastic until new fibroids grew and pushed it out of position. My gyn said I could not have another Mirena with so many larger fibroids like you have. In any case, the Mirena might help the bleeding as it pretty much eliminates your periods (or makes them very light) over time, but it won't help your fibroids or endometriosis.

If you want to avoid a hysterectomy, you could ask your doctor about myomectomy (mine was robotic) or even ask for a referral to an interventional radiologist to see if you're a candidate for Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE aka UFE). UAE helps shrink fibroids over time, but wouldn't have any effect on endometriosis.

It's always a good idea to get as many opinions as you need to feel like you are making the right decision for you! Good luck!
Unread 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM

Thank you for your response! Today I called my regular gyno that referred me out and the nurse there said of course I could get a third opinion but because of the new found issue during their try to get endo biopsy and couldn't because of location of the fibroid... mirena is out and so is ablation... and so is oral bc so my options are wait and watch or hysterctomy. which my belly feels so bloated and full and I'm currently having back and hip pain due to my cycle starting soon. they called to let me know that are trying to schedule surgery the week of the 19th this month. I really want to do this and get it over with it but I'm so scared to finalize my decision because of the surgery and possible complications. I do not need or want my uterus . She also did not think I was candidate for uef. And if I'm going to be opened up for myoectomy I would rather get rid of it all. So it's either wait and watch or removeit all before it probably grows bigger over the next 10ish years. Any more thoughts or advice would be greatly appretiated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Do you need to rush a decision? Only having a couple of weeks to decide on and get ready for a major surgery is pretty fast. Plus it's just before the holidays! If you celebrate Christmas, that will be a tough time for you trying to recover from surgery during that time of year.

You might take a look at the other part of this web site focused on pre and post-hysterectomy for more info on what to expect. I had a robotic myomectomy and from what I understand, the recovery for that is about the same as a robotic hysterectomy. I felt decent after a few days, but wouldn't be in any mood to socialize. The swelly belly thing post-surgery is pretty uncomfortable and hard to wear normal clothes for a couple of months at least. A-line dresses and no-waistband/foldover yoga pants are a must, plus extra big/loose undies. I didn't take any narcotic pain meds once I was home from the hospital, but I have a high pain tolerance... most people seem to take pain meds for a while after surgery, so you might be loopy for Christmas. I guess that could be good or bad, depending on your perspective!!!

Anyway ... you are the only one who can decide what's right for you! If a second or third opinion helps, definitely do that. I got 5 opinions before I settled on a course of treatment, but I was trying to keep my uterus (even though I'm in my 40s and never wanted kids ... for me, it was important to try and keep my uterus). You're the only one who can say when is the right time for surgery. Good luck and let us all know how it goes!
Unread 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM

Thank you! And yes you are right about the holidays! We were only aiming for that week because my husband is home to help out all week and all the stupid medical deductible stuff starts over in Jan and we would have to pay a lot out of pocket where as if I do it before the end of the year everything would be covered. On other hand I also wonder what would happen at preoperative if my hgb levels are too low. Would I have no choice but to wait until next year. I kind of wish I didn't have a choice on having this surgery.
Unread 11-30-2016, 05:09 PM

The timing makes sense - definitely want to get it done before next year's deductible kicks in ... and a big plus that you will have some help while you recover!

I doubt you will have issues with your HGB levels. I had my robotic myomectomy when my iron levels were extremely low (way way below normal, like the doctors were suprised I was even functioning!) They thought they might have to give me a blood transfusion, but I didn't end up needing it. Just try and eat a bunch of iron rich food and supplements to boost yourself as fast as possible. The CVS store brand Slow Release Iron is not constipating. If you don't eat meat, beans are a good source too.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great and certainly get relief from the bulk and bleeding. The new year will start off right!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register