Some Post Op Questions on Diabetes, plus.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some Post Op Questions on Diabetes, plus.... Some Post Op Questions on Diabetes, plus....

Unread 07-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Some Post Op Questions on Diabetes, plus....

I am a 53 year old female.
I had an oophorectomy a year ago - it was later established that this was unnecessary, ie: I did not have ovarian cancer. I am currently on hormones, otherwise no other medication. I feel ok physically (ie: I have no pain), however I do have severe depression. I just have a few questions and hope someone can help me.

1) Does ovary removal at my age increase the risk of diabetes?
2) Does ovary removal impact the normal production of insulin?
4) What steps, if any, can i take NOW to prevent diabetes the natural way?
5) Where can I get more information
6) I now have very dry skin which I didn't before. What can I do about it. No creams seem to help. Are there any special creams out there?
7) Does a hysterectomy increase the risk of bladder prolapse?

I do try to be physically active and follow a low fat diet. I'm just wondering if there are some herbs or other natural 'medications' out there that can enhance my well being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2006, 11:44 AM

I can only speak to questions 4 and 5.

Re #5: www.diabetes.org - American Diabetes Association is a really good place to start in self-education.

Re #4: Here's my opinion, based on a lifetime of watching family deal, or not deal, responsibly with diabetes, and my struggles in coping with diabetes. Fat isn't the killer, it's the carbs. Especially simple carbs like sugars. I have the most success in keeping my sugar levels stable and low when I restrict my carbs to complex ones and limit the grams of sugar in my diet. Since I don't want to gain weight, I also limit the fat in my diet. Thank goodness for soy products! I can 'pig out' on tofu without guilt.

Anyone who is worried about diabetes would likely benefit from periodic glucose checks. Self-testing at home is easy, and a glucose panel as part of period checkups is simple. Exercise and diet together helps ward off Type II -- after all there's a reason it's called the Female Fat & Fourty disease.

These are just my :twocents of course. Research for yourself and then find an endocrininologist you can trust.
Unread 07-01-2006, 01:43 PM

I can help with #6! I have dry skin - and have been to both an endocrinologist and dermatologist. Part of the reason for my dry skin is the fact that I have hypothyroidism. But my daughter has dry skin and her thyroid is fine.

My dermatologist said that the best way for me to help my dry skin is to:
1) shower with a moisturzing / for dry, sensitive skin liquid body wash
2) after showing, apply a moisturizing lotion to the skin (I'm prone to acne break-outs and have rosacea, so I found one that is oil-free and unscented)
3) always apply sunscreen before going outside
4) drink plenty of water

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2006, 03:34 PM

I can help a little with some of your questions.
4) In order to prevent the onset of diabetes, it is a good idea that you do what Genkitty suggested. Restrict your carbohydrate intake to complex carbs like whole wheat pastas, multigrain bread and cereals, and whole grains. Avoid sugar, or restrict your intake to small amounts. Read your food labels. Also, you may be able to consult with a dietician at a local hospital. They can help you set up meal plans and the right kind of diet FOR YOU. Also, the American Diabetes Association has great information and recipes on its website. Make sure to eat plenty of fiber and drink lots of water. Exercise is also very important in preventing type II diabetes. Even if it is as little as 20 minutes a day, it can significantly decrease your risk of both diabetes and heart disease.

6) Try the steps NoniOhio mentioned for dry skin. Also, take a hair, skin, and nails vitamin. You ca usually find these at any grocery store. Another tip is to increase your intake of omega-6 fatty acids. You can find this in cold water fish like salmon and fresh(not canned) tuna. Grilled tuna or salmon is very healthy, and omega-6 fatty acids are also full of antioxidants, which can prevent some types of cancer.

As far as I know, having an oophorectomy does not increase your risk of diabetes, or cause a significant change in insulin production. The main problem with removal of the ovaries is typically menopausal symptoms. Regarding the risk of bladder prolapse with hysterectomy, from what my doctor told me, it really depends on how your muscles, ligaments, and tendons are prior to the surgery. If they are supporting everything well inside the abdominal cavity, the risk is less. If things have started to fall a little, then the risk is greater. Hope this helps.
Unread 07-01-2006, 05:20 PM

I am a type 2 diabetic. It developed when I was expecting my son and is actually called gestational diabetes. It should have resolved after the baby was born, but ofcourse my body refused to cooperate and I've remained a diabetic for years. I looked into the impact of surgery on my condition just in case they needed to take my ovaries. What I found with reasearch, and was told by my Dr. is that the estrogen produced by the ovaries might have a very minor effect on diabetes. This would impact those of us who already have the disease, not cause it in those who don't. As both diabetes and menopause can lead to heart disease, HRT should be explored in menopausal diabetics. Hope that helps ease your concerns. Is anyone helping you with the depression? That is common following oophorectomies, and yours sounds very complex since it may not have been nessesary. I encourage you to talk to your doctor about both, your concern reguarding diabetes, and your depression. Let us know how your doing.
Unread 07-07-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi veryangry!

I had a prophylactic oophorectomy, along with my hysterectomy, at the age of 50 and afterwards I nearly "read myself blind" about surgical menopause, but I don't recall ever reading anything about a diabetes link. For myself, I believe that if I develop diabetes, it might be because of a genetic propensity on my late father's side of the family, since he, a brother and his mother all came down with the disease at age 50-plus. For me, in order to do my very best to prevent developing this disease, I feel it's important to maintain a normal weight, and to exercise on an almost-daily basis. So far...I'm okay!

I developed a depressive/anxiety disorder for the first time in my life, shortly after my TAH/BSO. I went way too long before taking my doctor's suggestion and trying an SSRI. Shortly after I did so, I was relieved to find that I experienced the calm and contented feelings I previously had. I hope that, in partnership with your medical provider, you will consider exploring help of this sort. It's made all the difference in the world for me.

Many s and Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register