Anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Anxiety

Well, surgery is next Tuesday and I'm getting some anxiety over it. I've never had surgery and I'm really getting nervous. The "what if's" have set in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Re: Anxiety

It is natural for you to be anxious. I am 5 days post op and the last week prior to my surgery was the hardest for me mentally and emotionally. I had never had surgery either and I didn't know what to expect. I'm grateful that I found this website. It helped prepare me. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in late December. At age 42, this was quite a shock! I found myself getting increasingly anxious and in denial. I had a Da Vinci assisted hysterectomy on Jan. 31st and my recovery has been so much better than I expected. Each day gets easier. Remember, you are entitled to feel every single emotion that you are feeling. I think that it helps to get you prepared. The surgery was not nearly as bad as I had built it up in my mind. On the day of my surgery, I was calm and just ready for it to be over! Best wishes!
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Do you have something to distract you? Are you open to calling your doctor for a mild anti-anxiety medication if the anxiety becomes too bad? Don't hesitate to ask them for something. What you're experiencing is perfectly normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM

I'm having a LAVH in March. I too have a ton of anxiety. I keep thinking this month wasn't too bad, maybe I can just live with my issues. Then I remember December was a complete nightmare! I think I get more anxiety every time I read some of these posts! I do feel a lot better when I read some of the positive posts on recovery. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is super anxious about it. I'm sure in a few more weeks my anxiety may turn into sleepless nights and panic attacks.
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM

Just had my TAH on Jan 29th and am feeling better every day. Fears are natural. Surgery is not. I had major anxiety the week before surgery. My house had closets cleaned out that haven't been looked at in ages! But it kept me busy. If you have any anxiety meds you can take to help you get some sleep in the next week I would do it. You'll need to be well rested. Tears are just your bodies natural way to relieve stress. I cried a few tears on my way to the operating room, in my hospital bed afterwards and a few tears every day just as a release. But you will be so much better once you are done! You can do this!!!!
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:10 PM

Thank you all! I'm ok as long as I'm busy but in those quiet moments, the anxiety sneaks up. *sigh*
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:23 PM

I had a Da Vinci on 1/16 (three weeks ago today) and kept my ovaries. I was so freaked out the weeks before, and kept thinking I might change my mind. The first week after surgery was rough, my bff stayed with me and I really needed her help. The worst part was gas pain and my first BM. The second week I was on my own, worked a few hours a day at the office, but still needed help walking the dogs and had some ups and downs (like I would think I was getting better and then over do it, and set myself back). But I’m starting to feel really good. I walked the dogs on my own today, I’m taking a restorative yoga class, and last week I took an African drumming class. I’m going out to dinner with friends and I’ve returned to work (non physical job). I still get a little tuckered out in the evenings and am not trying to do “too much”, but really I’m feeling pretty great! Good luck to you! Take your recovery time as an opportunity to pamper yourself a little bit.

PS I highly recommend taking some quality pro-biotics after surgery. The antibiotics do a number on the digestive tract.
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Anxiety

I too never had surgery before this and I was a nervous wreck!!! It is a major deal but honestly coming from a person with major anxiety YOU CAN DO THIS! They roll you into the operating room and seriously within a minute you are out. You wake up and the pain meds are already flowing. I'm 9 days post op and doing pretty well. It's scary as heck but you will look back and think it really wasn't too bad.
Prayers and hugs to you!!
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:04 AM

I was a nervous wreck up until my surgery on 1/30. I was waiting to go back for surgery and told the nurse and my hubby that I couldn't do this and started crying and literally freaking out. The anesthesiologist came out with a nice drug and said in a minute I would be okay. He was right. I calmed down and they wheeled me back. I woke up in moderate pain, but post op pain has been a breeze compared to my period pain. I know the what ifs are frightening. But, do as much research, get your house and affairs in order for post op recovery and remind yourself of why you are having this done. I am just a week post op and feel 1000 times better than pre op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register