Post hysterectomy day 9: Please tell me this gets better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy day 9: Please tell me this gets better Post hysterectomy day 9: Please tell me this gets better

Unread 01-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Post hysterectomy day 9: Please tell me this gets better

So I am postop day nine from the Divinci hysterectomy with everything removed and I'm having the worst bowel issues. The pain from my surgery is getting better but I have severe diarrhea and cramping. Dr. is not concerned and told me to take a Imodium which did help for one day. I got so excited and felt hopeful again but this morning it all came back with a vengeance. The cramping is so painful. I took another Imodium and the pain and diarrhea is subsiding again. I have read so many horror stories on this site with people saying that they have these issues for months and even years. Can anybody out there share their experience where they had the same issues but it resolved quickly? I feel like so many times it's just the problems on this site with few positive posts. With having nine days being stuck in the house and resting, my fears are building up. I'm starting to have major regrets about this surgery. I hope this is not my new normal! Only thing keeping me hopeful is my faith in God. I know I'm not too far out from my surgery date that's why I'm hoping others may provide their experiences and how this quickly resolved. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Re: Please tell me this gets better

I also had a da Vinci with everything removed last month. I know I was given antibiotics in my iv during the surgery. From past experience I know that antibiotics can really mess up your digestive system. Before and after the surgery I took probiotics and didn't have any problems. Even if you didn't have antibiotics the probiotics wouldn't hurt and they could be helpful. Hope you get relief soon.
Unread 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Your Dr should take this more seriously if it's continuing. One thing to ask about is a test for a c. Diff infection. It's a bowel infection you can pick up in hospitals and needs to be treated. If your GYN won't help, consider calling your GP Dr. Diarrhea that persists and is painful is not a normal thing and needs to be addressed. Please hang in there but do insist on some tests and possibly checking for dehydration if it's persisting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy L View Post
I also had a da Vinci with everything removed last month. I know I was given antibiotics in my iv during the surgery. From past experience I know that antibiotics can really mess up your digestive system. Before and after the surgery I took probiotics and didn't have any problems. Even if you didn't have antibiotics the probiotics wouldn't hurt and they could be helpful. Hope you get relief soon.
Thanks. I always take probiotics and continue to do so. Has your recovery been positive? Where are your incisions?
Unread 01-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
Your Dr should take this more seriously if it's continuing. One thing to ask about is a test for a c. Diff infection. It's a bowel infection you can pick up in hospitals and needs to be treated. If your GYN won't help, consider calling your GP Dr. Diarrhea that persists and is painful is not a normal thing and needs to be addressed. Please hang in there but do insist on some tests and possibly checking for dehydration if it's persisting.
It's not cdiff because the Imodium stops it. They said if it was cdiff it wouldn't be stopped by meds. If it continues into next week I'll call. Thanks!
Unread 01-21-2017, 10:07 AM

I thought immodium only helped one day? Then not? I would not rule out c diff, if your diarrhea goes on and on, but of course it's just a test, you can't tell for sure and diarrhea as bad as you describe deserves some testing.
Unread 01-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHeidi View Post
Thanks. I always take probiotics and continue to do so. Has your recovery been positive? Where are your incisions?
I've had a very easy recovery but I also have a very supportive husband who has taken over most of the housework. We are older and retired and are hoping all of my cancer stays away so that we can continue to enjoy our children and grandchildren. My 5 incisions are in a row up above my belly button.
Unread 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy L View Post
I've had a very easy recovery but I also have a very supportive husband who has taken over most of the housework. We are older and retired and are hoping all of my cancer stays away so that we can continue to enjoy our children and grandchildren. My 5 incisions are in a row up above my belly button.
I will pray for you!
Unread 01-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHeidi View Post
So I am postop day nine from the Divinci hysterectomy with everything removed and I'm having the worst bowel issues. The pain from my surgery is getting better but I have severe diarrhea and cramping. Dr. is not concerned and told me to take a Imodium which did help for one day. I got so excited and felt hopeful again but this morning it all came back with a vengeance. The cramping is so painful. I took another Imodium and the pain and diarrhea is subsiding again. I have read so many horror stories on this site with people saying that they have these issues for months and even years. Can anybody out there share their experience where they had the same issues but it resolved quickly? I feel like so many times it's just the problems on this site with few positive posts. With having nine days being stuck in the house and resting, my fears are building up. I'm starting to have major regrets about this surgery. I hope this is not my new normal! Only thing keeping me hopeful is my faith in God. I know I'm not too far out from my surgery date that's why I'm hoping others may provide their experiences and how this quickly resolved. Thank you!
I could have written this post! I had the same thing around the same time. My Dr wasn't so worried either. She suggested metamucil for the fiber. I did that and it helped for a day or so then back to water cannon butt and painful gas. I'm happy to say that at about the two and a half week mark it just stopped! I think it's because our bowels are jostled around during surgery, and they now have more room.
I hope you get back to normal soon. I know how horrible it is to be chained to the toilet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register