Bladder infection for first time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder infection for first time Bladder infection for first time

Unread 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Bladder infection for first time

I went to the Dr today, because for the last 2 wks. i've been urinating constantly. Well the nurse checked my urine for UTI and said it came back clear. When i saw Dr at first he thought it might be an overactive bladder, maybe from just recently adding more caffeine back into my diet. But he decided to check my urine himself and he came back in and said i had a bladder infection. Does anyone know if there are 2 different tests for infection. I think i got the infection in the hospital because after they took the catheter out several hrs. later i still couldn't go. I was in so much pain that the nurse got a foley catheter. The young student nurse asked me if she could do it and i said yes. Well she didn't know what she was doing. She had on the only pair of steril gloves, but the nurse had to do it and she only had on the non-steril gloves that who knows how long she had on. Well i mentioned it to my Dr and he said he doesn't think that's where it came from. I guess we'll never know. Well i just think it's strange because i have never had even a UTI and now a bladder infection.
Well he gave me Macrobid and Dextrol LA. Have any of you taken these together. Seems like a bit much. Well i hope it clears it up, because DD wedding is 2 wks. away and it sure would be hard to get that long mother of the bride dress up and pantyhose down all day long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2005, 07:18 PM

Hi! Congratulations on being the Mother of the Bride! If you don't NEED to wear those panty hose, maybe you could get away with knee highs since your dress is long (I'm assuming floor length). Just a thought.

I am a Medical Technologist and have worked in Microbiology for several years. I would have to agree with your doctor that you probably did not pick this UTI up from the Foley. If it was from the Foley, you would have had symptoms much closer to your discharge from the hospital. (unless you have been back in the hospital in the last few weeks?)

I have had a few UTI's myself over the years and I noticed that the last two I had developed shortly after I had sex and did not void right afterward ...a few days later, the UTI was full-force and painful! I think they call that "Honeymoon Cystitis" because young brides can get UTI's easily this way. Maybe this is what triggered yours?

Regardless of the cause, follow your doctor's orders and you should feel better soon. Make sure you take all your doses of antibiotics, even if your symptoms subside...this will ensure that it will kill the bacteria and (hopefully) the infection won't return. The Macrobid is to kill off the bacteria, the Detrol LA will help to calm any bladder spasms you may be having because of the infection. I found the Detrol LA to be constipating (I was on it pre-op), so be aware of that and increase your water and fiber intake while on it. I haven't ever taken Macrobid. If you are concerned about taking them together, call the pharmacist and ask about interactions with any other meds you may be taking and when to take them. Drinking cranberry juice can help to change the pH of your urine and help you get rid of the infection, too.

I hope this helps and that you feel much better very soon! Bladder infections are NO FUN!
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Well, it will soon be a year since my hysterectomy. I am finally feeling back to my normal self, actually better than I have felt for several years. After my surgery, I had 5 baldder or UTI infections from the end of July to the last one being 2-25-05. They finally decided I did not have enough estrogen in my system. My doctor explained it much more detail, but anyway once I got started on taking estrogen and have been taking it from Sept, 2004, I have now gone almost 4 months without an infection. What I was going to say was that twice when I went in and was tested for the infection, the tests came back that I did not have an infection. After having it this many times, I knew what it was. The last time I had a really caring nurse and she could see how miserable I was, so had the dr. order a more in depth test and it came back positive. She told me that if I ever think I have it again to be sure and tell whoever I talk to that I need the more in depth test and tell them the simple ones don't always register for me. Hang in there, it will get better. I just had my routine physical this week, and all my tests came back great. For the first time, in probably almost 40 years, I was not anemic. I was so excited and I'm sure that is why I have so much more energy. As I said, hang in there, as I know I went through a period of time thinking why did I do this, as I had never had a bladder or UTI in my whole life. I was in much more pain with them than after my surgery. I'll be thinking about you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register