Impending Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Impending Hysterectomy Impending Hysterectomy

Unread 05-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Impending Hysterectomy

Hello everyone. I am a 24y/o with uterine prolapse and probable endometriosis (pardon the spelling). No date has been set yet for the "BIG DAY" however everyday I am in more pain than the day before and I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate it. The good doc wants me to have Urodynamics testing to evaluate the possible damage to my bladder on the 23rd of May and I am going to push for a surgery date asap.
I am surprisingly torn up about this. I feel like I am losing my womanhood, although I have already had my children (they were a fight themselves), & I have had a tubal the thought of taking out my uterus is quite upsetting. I cannot imagine how a woman who is not done or even began having children would handle this. I am quite scared. If anyone out there can help reassure me or offer a few words of advice it would be utmost appreciated.
I am just now really looking into the site, and may I say it is wonderful. There is a wealth of info here. I would like to keep ya'll up to date if ya'll would have me and I fit into your group. Thanks, Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2001, 02:02 PM
Impending Hysterectomy

I know exactly what you're going through. You are young and so am I. I've had my two wonderful little boys and I also had a tubal. I go through the same pain month after month. It also seems that since the decisions been made to go ahead with a TAH I have more and more pain. (I'm sure some of that is in my head).

One of my very best friends' just found out she's expecting. This awful feeling came over me. My heart sank and I thought "I am never going to feel that excitement again." It's not that I want more children. I already made that decision. But now I feel that the decision has been taken away from me. My husband made me feel really good about it, though. He said "Think about it, when they're changing diapers and having sleepless nights, we'll be resting peacefully and absolutely through the 'baby' stage. He's right. As much as we envy these women. We already made the choice and I just keep trying to remind myself of that everyday.

Hang in there and know that you are not alone!!!

Pam
Unread 05-10-2001, 02:17 PM
Same

Same here also. I am young, have 2 beautiful little girls and had a tubal 5 years ago. I have been told I may have to have a hyst in the future, and it does kinda make things feel final. But then again, I have been in severe pain for about 3 months now. Like you I have probable endo and adeno. I have gone to several different doctors that seem to keep putting me off. I made a decision to go to a bigger city last week and try to get help from this pain and that doctor even told me that, I am young and I will have regrets later if I rush into things. The way I see it is that I have been living with this for a long time. (Painful periods, cramping, major blood loss since I was in my teens.) I DON"T THINK I AM RUSHING! But they put me on birth control pills again to try to keep me at bay. I don't know what to do. I am totally frustrated, feel that no one wants to help me or even believes me. They all have told me that my uterus is enlarged and that I might have adeno. But none of them have done anything. Sorry I am rambling. But I feel I deserve some help here. Any advice?

Thank you,
Lila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2001, 03:41 PM
Impending Hysterectomy

Hi Peachy, and welcome!

I'm so glad you found us! I was 28, with no children, when I had my hysterectomy last summer. I never really wanted children, but it is rather difficult knowing the possibility no longer exists.

This surgery is very emotional for most women. Even if you are finished having children, some women feel they are losing part of themselves. This is perfectly normal. The women here are great, and were a HUGE source of support and answers for me.

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain right now. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Unread 05-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Welcome Kelly!

So glad you found us! This is a great place for information, support and hugs!

You are SO young, but it sounds like you've had your share of medical issues already. I'm sure you will make the right decision for you, and we'll all be here to help you every step of the way.

Read, post, stop by chat (click on it and follow the simple directions) and you'll find a wealth of great info and great women!

Lots of love and luck!!

Karen
Unread 05-10-2001, 04:37 PM
Weird feelings about impending hysto!

I just found out yesterday that I have to have a complete hysterectomy! I am 41 years old with three beautiful daughters. I am married for the second time to a wonderful man (who has no biological children of his own). I had a tubal 13 years ago and never planned to have more children. My Husband and I have kicked around the idea of children but decided against it. My surgery is set for May 29 - THAT SEEMS TOO SOON! Among the many "weird" feelings I have regarding this surgery is the feeling that I will no longer be a woman. Even though I didn't want more children, I didn't want that option taken from me! I have talked to several of my friends who have undergone this surgery, and none of them report any major problems. Before I found this site, I stumbled into another site that scared me half to death!!!!!! It seemed like everything about this surgery is bad. What in the world is one to do??? The way I see it is I have two choices #1 Live with this agony for two weeks out of each month, or #2 Have this surgery and improve my quality of life. Thanks for letting me vent - I don't think anyone can possibly understand what this is like unless you are facing it.
Unread 05-10-2001, 05:11 PM
Impending Hysterectomy

Kelly, of course we'll have you. This is a wonderful community of women who are willing to share their experiences. You'll find so much love and support here.

For those of you who feel you are losing your womanhood, I'll tell you how I feel. It's not your organs that make you a woman--it's what's in your heart and soul.

Continue reading here and getting all the information you can. There's so much here, including the drop-down menus on the main page. Also read the Hormone Jungle message boards if you're planning to have your ovaries removed. At least you'll have some idea of what is involved with HRT.

Best wishes, and welcome to Hyster Sisters.
Unread 05-10-2001, 06:09 PM
Impending Hysterectomy

Hey There,

I am a 36 year old with two sons, oldest is 16 and baby is 13. I also had a tubal at age 22. My pregnancies were quite difficult(almost died with first). I am scheduled for a TAH on June 12th. I do not feel like I am "losing my womanhood" only getting it !!!! Without having to put my family through hell each month and myself enduring the pain and discomfort; I feel like I will be a complete women !!!!! I have had my share of physical problems and my WONDERFUL DH is thrilled for me !!! My youngest son calls me "psycho mom", it is getting worse each month. I am know having trouble 2 weeks of the month and I think my family would prefer to move out or make me move !!!!!LOL Hang in there !!! I keep thinking to myself it will get better !!!!!!!

Good luck !!!!!
Unread 05-11-2001, 06:56 AM
Total LAP Hysterectomy

Forst let me say "THANKYOU ALL FOR THE LOVELY WELCOME!" Ya'll are such nice people.
Now, Has anyone else had a TLH? I have been reading at have seen that most of you all had TAH. Also should I keep my ovaries if possible or get them outta there while he is there? I worry that at my age (23) it will be an awfully long time for HRT. I am calling the Doc today to make him schedule a tenetive surgery date. He wants to wait until after my urodynamics on the 23rd, but I am in too much pain and do not want to wait that long. I would hate to go in on the 23rd and find out the first surgery date is 3 months away. I am also haivng to request pain meds today. It is just too darn painful. Oh the joys of being a woman.....
Till next time...Kelly
Unread 05-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Impending Hysterectomy

Kelly,
There are a few girls who have TLH, just do a search for their postings. I had LAVH, which is Lap assisted vag hyst. It went really well. Keep in mind, that you still have just as many stitches inside, you just don't have the big tummy incision.

My Dr started off with a lap, where he looked for and removed the small amount of endo that was left after my lap in December and 3 months of Lupron. Then he did the required work from above regarding the hyster, went in from below and slid the uterus out. I still have my ovaries. I am 31. My dr's opinion was that I still needed them and HRT is just not as good as my own. He did remove a lump from the right ovary. We also decided that if I need to have the ovaries removed later, it is a less major surgery than the full hyster. That can easily be done in a lap, and only take a few days off work rather than the full 6 weeks.

DOn't be afraid to take pain meds. In the months before my hyster, I started on otc stuff, went to T3, and spent the month before the hyster on percacet. That's how bad the pain was. If the pain is that bad, you will have a hard time functioning. You will not become addicted to them if you are really taking them for PAIN! Of course, you should discuss all this with your Dr and determine what is right for you.

Stick up for yourself and research and think until you decide what is the right decision for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register