Supposedly Dr only approved 2weeks off. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Supposedly Dr only approved 2weeks off. Supposedly Dr only approved 2weeks off.

Unread 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Supposedly Dr only approved 2weeks off.

So I had my pre op today and gave the paperwork for FMLA and my employer's short term disability plan to the nurse/scheduling coordinator. She told me my doctor only approved 2 weeks off. I'm having a DaVinci, but I personally think that's pushing it. I have epilepsy and anything that throws my body out of whack can trigger seizures. I'm more concerned about being stabilized so I don't have seizures and being safe and not trying to be a superhero. I feel a lot of pressure to be a superhero since my curious family looked up stuff about the speedy recovery. I may be a lucky one and heal quickly, but I want to be prepared if I need more time. Any DaVinci ladies have any thoughts on the 2 week recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Re: Supposedly Dr only approved 2weeks off.

I personally think that any doctor who approves only two weeks off after a major surgery is awful. You need time to recover properly. Funny, when a doc does this I always assume its a man and therefore a jerk.
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:22 AM

I would talk to your dr. I also had daVinci and originally when I talked to my dr he said 2 Wks but when he filled out my paperwork it said 6 Wks. You never know how it goes with this surgery. For me recovery was rough, I got an infection, ended up off 7 Wks. Before surgery you couldn't have told me I needed that much time. Talk to your dr and tell him you want the max time and IF you feel good you'll go back sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM

I had a davinci on 12/04/12. My doctor only approved two weeks off for recovery. After speaking with him about it we agreed for me to go back to work part time for the four weeks following. His reason for only approving the two weeks was that while he wanted me to take it easy and have a full recovery, that it was his observation that those of us who did not return to work or do more than just sit around after two weeks were usually the ones who take longer to recover. I stayed over night in the hospital and the nurses did not follow his orders about removing the IV and cath. I had been asking all night and day if I could take a shower and the nurses kept refusing. When my doc came in the following morning he was furious. I was supposed to have the cath and IV removed 3 hrs after my surgery and should have been up walking around atleast to the door every 2 hours. He stated that after surgery it is very easy to get weak and stay weak and that even though I was on restriction for 6 weeks that I should be active and not sit around. By going to work half days I was able to slowly get back in the grove without completely over doing it. I am 12 weeks out and have never felt better in my life!!!! I pray you have a speady recovery and wish you the best of luck.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM

My doctor originally told me that I would need 3-4 weeks off. I submitted the paperwork and her office called me and asked me how long I wanted. I said 6 weeks and it was granted. She did say, if I recover quicker and feel better, she will allow me to go back early part time.

Best of luck to you Mel1231!
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM

In my case, I returned to work after 3 weeks. At the 2 week point, I thought I was ready to go back, but I was wrong. When I did return, I made it to the early afternoon on the first day and that was all I could manage. I made it a little longer each day that week, but by the time I got home each night, I was exhausted. My doctor mentioned that some people go back after 2 weeks - my hat goes off to them.

At the 2 week point, I was no longer in pain and only mildy uncomfortable, however it was the exhaustion that made it difficult.

Good luck with your surgery. Take care of yourself and most of all listen to your body. Let that be your guide, not others and what they have learned from research.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Definitely talk with your Dr. and don't accept less than what you want the paperwork to say. If s/he is a jerk -- honey run away and find a new surgeon - even if it means finding a new surgery date and messing up plans. You are the consumer and not a child - you have a right to better care than that. Best wishes!
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Remember every one heals different. I am an active person and I never let an illness get me down. I expected to be off 2 Wks and that's it. I work through illness normally. I did not expect this surgery to hit me like a Mac truck. I wasn't expecting the emotions and I would not have been fit to go back in 2 Wks. Don't let anyone tell you that simply getting up and moving will get you better. Trust me some have done that and it hasn't mattered. Your body is the dictator here and it will take the time it needs with or without your support!
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM

Thank you all so very much for your kind words and support. Today the scheduler called to tell me that my doctor has agreed with my concern about making sure my epilepsy is stabilized, and that she has given me a minimum of four weeks off and up to six weeks. She had an ablation and tubal ligation on December 29th and was out dancing on New Year's Eve. I'm glad she got a clue about my seizure concern. I've been seizure-free for 3 months and if I have one it's back to square one. P.S. You all are the bomb dot com!!! This sit rocks!!
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM

Haha this SITE rocks. Fat fingers on a touch screen. Oy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register