TAH Insomnia 4 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insomnia 4 weeks post hysterectomy Insomnia 4 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 12-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Insomnia 4 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi. 4 wks post op an im struggling to sleep. Manage to drop off ok but staying asleep is the problem. I can be awake for several ours!! Is this normal? Maybe an increase in hrt dosage will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2016, 06:51 AM

As I've seen in this forum, insomnia is a common part of surgical menopause, so I think asking your doctor about your HRT would be a good idea. If nighttime hot flashes are contributing to your insomnia, keep your bedroom around 60-65 degrees, choose loose fitting cotton nightclothes, and arrange your bedding in layers, that can be added or removed as necessary. Other things I frequently recommend for post-op insomnia include a 6 hour caffeine curfew, a 1 hour electronics curfew, and a daily walk outdoors, to help to normalize your sleep cycles. If you wake up in the middle of the night, and can't fall back asleep within half an hour, then get out of bed, go to another room, and do some light reading, like a "Chicken Soup" story, or the owner's manual to one of your appliances; that should put you back to sleep quickly. Also, if you're okay with eating soy, then 1-2 daily servings of tofu, edamame, or soy milk can help with hormonal balance. Here's hoping you'll get your soon!
Unread 12-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Re: Insomnia 4 weeks post hysterectomy

I'm almost 5 months post op and I'm still struggling with insomnia. Exactly as you describe. I lay down, I fall right to sleep. But around 2:15, almost every night, I'm up. I'm generally awake for at least an hour to ninety minutes, some nights even longer. I fall back to sleep about 4:30 and the alarm goes off at 5:15. It is miserable and not at all conducive to resting. The worst is trying to get up for work when you know you haven't slept but maybe 2 hours or so. I don't see it changing any time soon for me. I hope yours gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacieWI View Post
I'm almost 5 months post op and I'm still struggling with insomnia. Exactly as you describe. I lay down, I fall right to sleep. But around 2:15, almost every night, I'm up. I'm generally awake for at least an hour to ninety minutes, some nights even longer. I fall back to sleep about 4:30 and the alarm goes off at 5:15. It is miserable and not at all conducive to resting. The worst is trying to get up for work when you know you haven't slept but maybe 2 hours or so. I don't see it changing any time soon for me. I hope yours gets better.
Hi
Sorry to hear ure still suffering. Maybe discussing it with ure gp an getting short term Meds to help.
I'm back to work in jan so ope fully my body will get back into some sort of routine. Ope ure sorted soon xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register