Unsure about surgery now - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsure about surgery now Unsure about surgery now

Unread 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Re: Unsure about surgery now

I know nothing is for sure, but the majority of people seem to have a much easier time recovering from Da Vinci than a TAH. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, I understand that. But the Da Vinci is just known to be a faster healing surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadeb1990 View Post
I know nothing is for sure, but the majority of people seem to have a much easier time recovering from Da Vinci than a TAH. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, I understand that. But the Da Vinci is just known to be a faster healing surgery.
Hi!

I want you to know that I had TAH on March 22, 2012 and it was actually not that bad!

The incision was the worst part for me - it itched and pulled for a week or two - but overall, I felt pretty good, considering.

Remember that the inside work is the same, regardless of how they decide to go in. You will still ache internally, whether it's TAH, DaVinci, LAVH, etc.

Honestly, if you like your doctor and feel comfortable with this person doing the surgery, I'd say do it the way they recommend. Fibroids are sometimes easier to remove by TAH.

Another thing with TAH is that the surgeon is able to get a really good look around. Mine started out as a hysterectomy with drainage of cysts and that was all. But they got in and found adhesions all over and my L ovary/tube was scarred and oozing blood to the point of no recovery, so it ended up being a L ovary removal, with tube, hysterectomy, and adhesions removed from bowel and bladder. In fact, my L ovary and tube were actually twisted together and encased in scar tissue and adhered to my colon, constricting it! I thought I had IBS for almost 8 years - but now, no issues AT ALL!! My intestines were being choked off! So, I am very glad I had TAH - you just never know what they will find when they get in, and so many less invasive surgeries convert to TAH just because of stuff like this, anyway.

So hold tight. Breathe. Trust your doc. If you really don't trust this doc, find another. But TAH is NOT the worst thing in the world. It was my second abdominal surgery (first one was for a 15 week ectopic pregnancy that ruptured through my right tube 12 years ago). Both recoveries were just fine physically. Pain was very manageable and scarring is minimal.

Hope this helps.

Peace.
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM

There is a reason why DaVinci doctors do still perform TAH, some cases require it. If you're doctor is good and a DaVinci surgeon, then I would trust the TAH recommendation. The robotic surgery is much more expensive, so it would be in her best interest to lean towards DvH, but she hasn't for a reason. That being said, there is never anything wrong with getting a second opinion.

I have had 3 c-sections. One with general anesthesia and no epi, the other 2 with spinals. The spinal type pain block is wonderful! I so wish my doctor had offered me an epi with my hyster. It will give superior 12 hour pain control and that is when the pain is the worst. It really starts to let up a lot after the 12 hour mark.

Catheters are wonderful. They keep your bladder empty and comfortable without any effort. They will put it in after they put you to sleep and removal is a breeze.

I originally was scheduled for my hyster in December. I read too much online and canceled. Had I kept that date I'd already be fully recovered, being intimate with my husband and holding my 2 year old. I wish I hadn't pushed my date back months. I'm only 2 weeks post op and feel tons better than I did before my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:54 AM

I am terrified to even begin to type and an crying as I do it. I just joined this site today and in doing so it makes the decision more real. I have endo, adeno and polyps. I have had two ablations. I am 39 and am scheduled for a second time for hysterectomy on June 15. (I cancelled the first) I am in pain most of the month, but the bleeding has gotten under control from the second ablation. I am tired of the pain and what it does to all parts of my life BUT I am terrified of menopause. I am schedule for June 15 and think of cancelling daily. My doctor told my husband after last ablation that I am postponing the inevitable. I don't have anyone close to me that has had a hysterectomy that I can talk to about it. People are scared to give any opinions when you try to talk about it. I am scared, confused and feel alone.
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM

catherine143 Your not alone anymore. Welcome to hystersisters! Any questions you have just go ahead and post a new thread and you'll get answers!!

:cathugs:
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi Everyone...and I can completely empathize with everyone here who is scared, tired, annoyed, worn out, worried and all the other adjectives I can 't recall at the moment. I too am nearing menopause and have large (10cm) fibroids...plus described as an enlarged, misshapen uterus with "innumerable" fibroids. I am 49 and was hoping to eek past my 50th birthday with all my body parts. I don't have extremely heavy bleeding as some women do, BUT, for some reason I do have mild anemia and the pain and pathetic bloating and abdominal crises I go through each period is enough. I've had enough.
I am not fond of the idea of this surgery (I am now scheduled for 6/15) but the fear I have of the endometiral biopsy I'm having on 5/21 is enough to prove to me that I don't want to carry on with the possibility of larger/more fibroids which can occur after menopause...calcified fibroids that don't shrink small enough after menopause and the worry of uterine cancer at some point down the road. I understand how some folks feel "attached" to their uterus and the fear of the unkown that might happen due to the risks we have all read about...but there are just as many risks NOT doing it. I am terrified also of the surgery...I trust my surgeon's skills but I am terrified of waking up and hearing that he had to take my ovaries and cervix due to possible cancer or that they had to convert to open abdominal. OYE!!!
Which will just kill me. I am scared too...believe me but I can't deal with this anymore. I am just starting on progesterone cream to see if they will shrink at all...dont' know...but I hope it helps with the other symptoms like the "warming trends" and the mild sweatiness. I know I am on track for meno soon but even if it just 6 months away I understand that fibroids shrink as slowly as they grow. I looked at all the other options and none of them seem easier, or permanent. I had them all on my list and I looked at them all in depth...my last resort on the list wasn't really hysterctomy...it was heroin...(I know it's not in alpha order)...but...hey it's not a great option but I thought after a few years of heroin I won't care about the fibroids anymore!! (LOL) just kidding...!
It is hard to be brave and we don't really have to be...this is the scariest think possible and I am trying to look at it that what doesn't kill me will - will definitely make me stronger...good luck gals!
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I think it's really important to remember that we all deserve to live a painfree life. Just because we are women does not mean we should just quietly suffer with "abdominal crisis" or "pain most of the month". If I broke my arm, would I agonize over the decision to get it fixed? No, I would get it fixed. I would find a Dr. I trusted and a method of fixing my arm that I agreed with.
That's how I felt about my surgery. At some point, my reproductive system stopped working correctly. My uterus enlarged with fibroids which in turn affected other areas. There was pain every day. And my period was aweful. So what am I going to do? It's not going to fix itself. It's only going to get worse. It was time for me to put on my big girl panties and do my research. Surgery was the option for me. Decision made. Then I moved on to what type of surgery. For me, SAH was the right decision for many reasons. Mainly, I wanted the dr. to lift the hood and while he was changing the oil, I wanted him to check the transmission fluid and the belts and the spark plugs.
My surgery was four weeks ago and already I feel so much better than before the surgery. Yes, of course there was pain and discomfort...it is major surgery but if something breaks, you have to fix it.
My recovery has been going really well. I feel better every day. My hormone replacement is working...no hot flashes, etc. and I feel good.
I wish you guys all good luck in finding a solution that works for you...a solution that you will be at peace with... Laura
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM

I want to thank each of you for responding. This website has brought me so much comfort in just a few hours. I realize each person's decision is personal to their circumstance, however just having people that are walking in similar shoes is such a nice feeling. I have looked forward to reading each thread and will continue to.
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Good point Laura and thank you for the reminder...it does help to remember that we need to do what we can to give us back a quality of life that we won't have otherwise. I have read that only a small percentage of women have fibroids that shrink to unnoticeable...and most go on to surgery eventually later in life. I am not a fan of that idea either and so I must fight this fear as much as I can (all the what-ifs that plaque my brain) fear comes easier to me than faith does...so I must do what I can to defeat those scary thoughts as much as possible....but i know it will be a five week battle...and God knows what I will be like on the day of.
I am so grateful to have found this site...and hope that the founder of it will someday win a nobel peace prize because of her efforts to provide this immeasurably wonderful informative supportive and helpful place for us "Princesses".
I don't know where I would be without it and wish my poor mom had had it in her day....blessings to all those here who have gone before me...and Laura I am so glad you are doing well and hope you continue to do so...
(((hugs)))
Marzy
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Hi Marzy. It just sets me off that we, as women, find it so easy to ignore or belittle our symptoms and just go on with taking care of everyone else in our lives. We suffer, at times in silence, and even go as far as saying we do not deserve to feel good. We make excuses about how hard it is to be a woman...but you know what? We absolutely deserve to live a pain-free life filled with fun, and peace and happiness. We wish that for everyone else in our lives, why not for ourselves?

You have to be comfortable with your decision. The fear will be there no matter what your decision is...but I fought my fear with knowledge. I spent countless hours reading articles and posts here and talking to whomever would listen. Believe me, I was still scared during the time before surgery. But I just kept seeing myself living a better life and I got through it. We all do. Try to keep an open mind and know that you WILL be able to handle whatever comes your way.

We are all here for you ladies.... Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register