Am I TOO tolerant of pain and suffering? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I TOO tolerant of pain and suffering? Am I TOO tolerant of pain and suffering?

Unread 12-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Am I TOO tolerant of pain and suffering?

I have been going back and forth as to whether or not to reply to this post. I am one week post-op, and have been in Kmoon's place, trying to make the decision, and not knowing if the other side is worse....

For me, it was completely a quality of life issue. Could I live, every day of the rest of my life, with the bleeding and the backache? I knew what to expect. I knew what life was like. There were no real surprises. I've been doing it for years.

Then, after years, after all the drug treatments were done, after all the tests were in that pointed at my uterus as the culprit for my pain, my doc offered me another OPTION. It was an OPTION.

Then, it was up to me.

I had to decide if I wanted to stay on that side of the line, or cross over, knowing full well the potential complications, but feeling CONFIDENT that my doc was the one who was the most qualified to bring me to the other side safely. And I chose to cross the line.

No one helped me make the decision, I did it. I don't think Kmoon was asking for someone to make the decision for her either. I think what she was looking for was support for her to make her decision EITHER WAY, and not stories from women who had negative experiences from their hyst.

Not wanting to get off topic I'll post to the post-op thread my further thoughts on this...but to KMoon and others in the decision process, I'll just say that you know your body better than anyone.. You know what you can tolerate and what you can't. Get all the information you can, and step forward with a positive attitude knowing that your choice is right for you.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Karin,

I had a LSH on Dec. 7th. I was diagnosed with my fibroids and adnormal bleeding in June. I spent the entire summer very indecisive and doing lots of research. I kept thinking that I could handle it, but the truth was it was getting more difficult and the symptoms were worsening with each passing day. What finally caused me to decide to proceed was that I just couldn't take the anemia AND the indecision anymore. Plus which I was worried that if I waited too long I would no longer have the option of LSH available to me.

The LSH has been very easy to deal with. I woke up with a little pain but enough for me to notice and ask for something. I was sent home the day after surgery and I took only Motrin for pain once a day for two days. After that, I haven't taken anything. I've been extra careful about following doctor's orders as he said the biggest problem he's had with patients is that they feel SO good that they do more than they should. So my recovery has been uneventful----each day I find myself feeling more like my old self.

I don't know if this will help you in making your decision or not. Everyone makes their decision in their own time and you will too. It's very hard to take that first step........

Barb
Unread 12-25-2004, 06:43 PM

Hi Karin

I can certainly understand how scary it can be to make a decision about having a hyst: it's a major surgery, regardless of how it's performed, involving the removal of at least one organ... and that organ is linked, in so many ways, to our feminity.

I had my hyst, 4 years ago, due to a very large fibroid that was causing lots of problems. By the time I had my hyst, it was the size of a 24 weeks pregnancy!!! The worst problem I was having was constant and very heavy bleeding, but I was also having some excessive pains and crampings, lots of joint pains, especially in my knees and my right hip, back aches and lots and lots of mood disorders. Furthermore, I had absolutely NO libido and was starting to doubt if I had any feelings left for my wonderful DH. As if that wasn't enough, I also ended up with a Stage 3 Rectocele, due to the size of the fibroid pressing on my internal organs and to having delivered two relatively large babies (both over 9 lbs). Yet, despite having all these problems, I still hesitated and it was only when the rectocele was diagnosed that both me and my doctor knew that the time had come to have the surgery... And I still questionned whether or not having the surgery was the right move for me.

You see, one of the things I realized at about three months after my hyst, was that I had been sick for soooo long (4 years by the time I had my hyst) that I no longer knew what being healthy felt like. That's one of the reasons I could just suffer through it. Sure, I knew that I had absolutely no energy, no quality of life and that I was putting my family life in jeopardy through the violent mood swings (I was yelling at my kids all the time) and the lack of feelings for my DH. But I didn't realize anymore that this was not the "real" me.

Having the hyst brought normalcy back to my life: I now have a lot more energy than I did, and here I am at almost 50. I can enjoy activities with my kids that I never would have dreamed of being able to do. I have lost 50 lbs, bike to work every day, in the summer, enjoy ice skating in the winter. And, most of all, DH and I have an absolutely normal and wonderful love life, in all aspects!!! In short: I'm living again!!!

However, having the hyst has also brought other, unforeseen problems. I'm not mentionning these to scare you or to depress you, but to balance out my post: I have no regrets about having the hyst, but that's mostly because, by the time I had it, I knew it was right for me. I know that my doctor didn't mislead me or trick me into having this surgery. I went into it knowing about my options and about some of the risks. That makes a very big difference if problems show up: they're easier to accept, because I knew the pros and cons and was part of the decision process.

BTW, yes, the LSH is apparently a whole lot easier than the more traditional TVH or TAH. However, I had a TVH and had relatively no pain in the early weeks, so was very pleasantly surprised in that respect. The type of surgery you have depends on several things, including the reason for the hyst, your special circumstances and your doctor's familiarity with the procedure. Also, one of the things I've learned is that there is always the risk that a TVH or LSH can turn into a TAH, should there be complications.

One thing I've learned, both from personal experience, and from years of reading and posting on Hyster Sisters, is that a hyst is a major surgery. I think there is a good portion of our members who have the hyst and find that they are back to normal within 2 or 3 months, and never have complications. For them, it really was the right move and I am sooooo happy for them. There are others, like me, who end up with annoying problems. Those problems are not life threatening, but do serve as a constant reminder that the hyst either didn't resolve all the problems or brought along some new ones. However, for me and for others, the problems are still much less than the pre-hyst problems were and, once again, having the surgery was the right thing for us.

However, there are those of find out that the surgery either didn't resolve the problems or caused some new, much more serious ones. Some of these members find themselves wishing that they never had the surgery, or had known about the risks.

The problem is that you never know, ahead of time, which category you'll fall in. And the type of surgery you had has very little to do with it: there are members who had a TVH, a TAH, a LAVH or LSH who are now trying to find answers to their ongoing problems. And it doesn't matter if you go into the surgery with a positive outlook: I've always been an optimist and was sure that, by 3 or 4 weeks post-op, I'd be enjoying my "vacation" until I went back to work.

Again, I'm not saying this to scare you, because, for one thing, I'm convinced that the hyst was the right thing for me. For another thing, I strongly believe that you need to do what's right for you, based on your doctor's recommendations. But you need to feel confident that it was your decision and that you know that it will be the best thing for you.

If you're not sure, you can always wait until the time has come. There are members who booked their surgery and then ended up cancelling at the last minute. Some of them went back a few weeks/months later, when they were ready... others decided to investigate other options. One thing I know is that you can always go back later, but you can't turn back the clock once you've had the surgery.

I do wish you the best of luck in your quest for answers. Be assured that your Hyster Sisters will be with you, regardless of your decision.
Unread 12-26-2004, 11:40 AM
To CLARIFY my original question:

Hi All,

Perhaps my question was confusing... and that is why the.. confusion!!

I was not asking for help in weighing or understanding the pros and cons of surgery.

I was asking for help in getting over being too emotionally tolerant of pain and suffering.

I was callling for responses from women who realized, too, that perhaps they were too tolerant of suffering... and was asking for how they resolved this emotional block/ problem.

My question had NOTHING to do with weighing in the risks and results and anything at all to do with the ACTUAL SURGERY....

I do hope this clarifies things.

karin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register