8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping 8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping

Unread 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM
8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping

Hi ladies, I have my full hysterectomy on 25th January (ovaries gone too!) and it was very straight forward. I had laprascopic surgery and I feel great. I had no pain afterwards and I've healed very quickly.

My issue is that I can't sleep properly at night. I wake constantly and find it difficult to return to sleep. I also have to get up to pee in the night, which I never had to prior to surgery and it's driving me nuts! I think some of the insomnia problem is that I am hot one minute and cold the next and it's when I have the hot flush that I waken. I've started to take sage and I've been taking red clover along with a good vit/min supplement and also extra magnesium. Nothing seems to be helping though.

I am getting to the really cranky stage with my poor hubby as I'm so tired. We have our own business and I returned to work full time 3 weeks ago. In the whole, I feel really good as prior to surgery I had the most horrendous bleeding every 2 weeks that lasted for 2 weeks. I was badly anaemic and could hardly get out of bed most days. Everything was an effort and I was just miserable. The surgery has given me a new lease of life and its a real eye opener as to how bad I was before. If I could just get a decent nights sleep I'd be on cloud 9!!

Any ideas as to what I could try? Hubby suggests I go to the Dr and see what she suggests, but she'd mentioned HRT before and I don't want to go that route unless it's vitally necessary. I'm much more a natural girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Re: 8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping

Hello Tayhaan

We are so happy that you found us here!

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. It sounds like you are charting your healing journey but incorporating some over the counters for assistance to see if it will help with those hot flashes and cold chills.

Something to keep in mind is that you are in the early stages of healing still. The initial phase does take about 4 to 6 weeks. There are so many layers of muscle, tissue, ligaments and nerve-endings that are trying to not only grow but re-establish their function post surgery. Add on top of that the 4 to 6 months for potential full healing though some ladies can take a bit longer.

Create a symptom journal so you have points of reference when speaking with your doctor about any one issue. Though I have my ovaries, I started to take Evening Primrose Oil once a day because it took over 4 months for them to settle down. You mention that your doctor has suggested HRT especially as your ovaries were removed. Your body could be using those hormone imbalances to let you know that the scales are tipping as your natural estrogen begins to diminish. Something to ponder is food choices with plant estrogens if you are trying not to start any hormone therapy (or at least not yet). Your doctor is going to be your best bet in discussing your insomnia too. During my journey, I was temporarily put on Ambien 5 mg though I simply cut it in half in order to get some restful sleep. Managing insomnia is a great article with a bit more insight. I’d also try eating a slice of turkey about an hour before attempting bed as it has that magical ingredient of tryptophan. (Just like when making that amazing Thanksgiving meal and then you want to nap after).

You will get there and don’t feel bad if you need a little assistance in order to achieve that much needed rest sweetie. Please know that there are sisters that have or are going through many of the same things you are experiencing.

Please let us know how you are doing!
Unread 03-22-2017, 04:55 AM
8 weeks post hysterectomy and problems sleeping

What I always recommend for insomnia is to avoid caffeine after 2 PM, and to turn off all electronics at least an hour before bedtime; they're both stimulants that can disrupt your sleep cycles. Also keep your electronics out of your bedroom, so your brain regards it solely as a place for sleep and intimacy. For your hot/cold flashes, keep your bedroom temperature around 60-65 degrees, choose loose fitting cotton nightclothes, and arrange your bedding in layers, that can be added or removed as necessary. If you're awakened in the middle of the night, and don't fall back asleep within 20 minutes, then get out of bed, go to another room, and do some light reading, like a "Chicken Soup" story, or the owner's manual to one of your appliances; that should put you back to sleep quickly. Also, our sleep cycles are mainly governed by exposure to natural light, so taking a daily walk outdoors can help. For supplements, try magnesium, which relaxes the body, promoting a deeper, more restful sleep. For plant estrogens to help with hormonal balance, have 1-2 daily servings of tofu, edamame, or soy milk. Here's hoping you'll get your soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Thank you Tiger_Eye and Lisa Rene

Lisa, thank you for reminding me that I am not superwoman!! I do forget that I've only had major surgery 8 weeks ago and that it will take time to fully recover....I'm impatient though and I didn't realise that it could be months and months to fully recover. I had a terrible 6 year period of heavy bleeding, pain and depression before my surgery, which I ended up having to pay for privately as our NHS here in the UK refused to let me have it! They said I wasn't in need and as I was in my 40's it would all settle down when I hit menopause!!

The consultant who did my surgery was horrified at their attitude and when I saw him a month after my surgery, he said he'd also found endometriosis as well as the 3 large fibroids, that we knew were there. He said that if we hadn't performed the surgery that I would have had another 6 or 7 years of misery. This whole period in my life was devistating as I bled so heavily that I ended up in A&E on 2 occasions as my poor Hubby thought I was bleeding to death! Very frightening for us both.....yet still I was refused surgery I bled for 2 weeks at a time and every 2 weeks, so I never got chance to recover properly. This went on for 2 very long years.

Anyway all done now and I wish I'd paid to have it done 2 years ago!! I am hopeful that I can get my sleepless phase to settle down and that my bladder starts to behave better too. I'll speak to my GP and see if she can give me something to sort out the sleep issue or at least get it to establish a better pattern

Thanks so much for your help. It is much appreciated x
Unread 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM

sweetheart!

You are worth it. Continue to advocate for yourself as you know what you are feeling/experiencing.

One week at a time!
Unread 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Tayhaan, I think we are hysterectomy twins! I am 8 months post op today. Honestly, I've never felt better because my periods, like yours, were ridiculous and constant and just making my life a living hell. I said to a friend, one of the last periods I had before surgery, I went through 6 boxes of ultra tampons in 3 weeks. I didn't normally use 6 boxes in a year! So it was a miserable time for me.

I have the same issues you are having still! I never sleep. I fall right to sleep, but staying asleep is impossible. I am up at least twice a night to go to the bathroom. Most nights I have to sleep with a small dishtowel tucked between my legs because often I won't make it to the bathroom before I start leaking. The hot flashes during the day and the night sweats at night are ridiculous. I have fabulous co-workers that took care of me during the healing process and make fun of me now. I'll be sitting here with the fan on, sweat running down my face. Then I'll level out. Then I get the chills so the space heater goes on. LOL

I have tried a variety of things, black cohosh, soy (I still have my soy milk smoothie in the morning, I don't know if it helps but I'm not about to stop and find out), some other thing that my mom heard about, all natural, I had a horrible allergic reaction to that. I don't want to do HRT, my mom is a breast cancer survivor and it would increase my risk. But at this point, I'm thinking if I can stop sweating and sleep, it might be worth the small risk. I really hope you and I both find something to help this. In the meantime, keep healing. It sounds like you are doing great at that. I, too, had a very easy recovery and was back to work full time at 4 weeks. Prayers for you sister.
Unread 03-22-2017, 05:43 PM

I too have a wicked case of insomnia. I tried everything over the counter, Zzzquil, benadryl, and melatonin ect. All of these usually do the trick but not since I had my surgery. I finally talked to my Dr. about a prescription. Took the first one last night and was able to sleep for the first time since my surgery. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register