OK, I'm confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK, I'm confused OK, I'm confused

Unread 08-16-2002, 09:44 AM
OK, I'm confused

I finally decided to have a TAH for my very large fibroids. Now, all of a sudden my symptons seem to have diminished. I have been on BC for 4 months and this week is my period week. I hardly have any pain and no flow. It makes me think I may be making the wrong decision to have the surgery. I know it's not until December and I may get my symptons back, but wouldn't you think that with a 15-17 week uterus size they should be pretty constant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2002, 09:57 AM
OK, I'm confused

From what I've read, the bigger the fibroid the less the pain. It is the small ones inside the uterus that cause severe cramps and bleeding.

I didn't check your age...could it be menopause starting? If not then keep your date and be blessed with this lite month. Perhaps the BC pills are helping which was the point of taking them. Let your doctor know if nothing happens.

Usually, the girls have doubts when they have a "nice month," but then are reassured within 28 days that it was a good decission.

Unread 08-16-2002, 10:23 AM
Fickle things!

It's as if it knows that you've made The Decision....

My cycle was not that bad last month but it sure busted loose this month. Lots of pain, etc.

Enjoy your month off--hope you get more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2002, 10:41 AM
Aunt Flo's last stand

I had the same thing happen. The period after I decided to have the surgery was so much easier than the others had been that I almost cancelled. It only went for eight days, instead of 14 to 16, and wasn't nearly as heavy. It's like Aunt Flo decided she'd better behave since her days were numbered, as if by doing so, I'd change my mind.

When I didn't change my mind (other factors were in play, like a uterus the size of a five month pregnancy which was pressing on my bladder and diaphragm), the following month, my last "real" period, was the most horrific yet, with pain that went on for weeks and excessive bleeding to the point that I used 8 super plus tampons and two pads in an hour! (As it turns out, one of the fibroids on the outside of my uterus had twisted off its stalk and died. That was what was causing my pain. It could have caused a serious infection if not found in time.)

Only you can know what's best for you. But don't be fooled by dear Aunt Flo. She'll get her revenge one way or another!

s,

Lisa
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:54 AM
OK, I'm confused

Same thing happened to me after I finally (after literally years of procrastinating) scheduled my LAVH. No bleeding AT ALL for the 3 months leading up to surgery. It's like my body was saying ."Ok, I'll be good!"

I had many second thoughts during that time. However, I had also been through that kind of cycle the year before--no bleeding or problems for 3 to 4 months, when WHAMMO started all over again with bleeding so heavy I thought I was going to have to go to the ER a few times. For me, I just didn't want to risk going through that again----plus, I was tired of getting up several times a night to potty due to my enlarged uterus pressing on my bladder.

After my surgery I realized that I was totally pain-free---I thought the chronic lower back ache and mild cramps were "normal", and I had just become used to living with that discomfort. Turns out not only did I have multiple fibroids, but adenomyosis and two undiagnosed ovarian cysts as well. I am amazed that I lived with it all for so long and didn't realize it could be so much better on this side of a hysterectomy.

Deciding to have a hyst is a very personal decision, based on your symptoms, what your doctor recommends and what you feel is best for you.

Best wishes to you!

Shelley
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Just the Opposite

I had the WORST period ever right after I set my surgery date. . . went through 80 super plus tampons in 10 days!

I think "feast or famine" (eeew) it is still our body reacting to the news. Some have nerves, some have reflief, some have drought, some have flood!

OK, enough metaphors . . . you get the picture.

Unread 08-16-2002, 03:55 PM
OK, I'm confused

I think it's one of Murphy's Laws. Or at least it should be. Kind of like -- your hair does GREAT on the day you have an appt to get it cut. Or you wash your car and it rains. Or you light a cigarette in restaurant and the food comes.

Don't doubt yourself now. I went thru the same kinds of feelings!
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:47 PM
No such thing as a free lunch! haha

I don't know about anyone else....

but when I had 2 or 3 good months in a row.... I was DREADING that next period!! It's like it would "build up" for a couple of months and then I'd pay for it!

Bekki
Unread 08-17-2002, 09:28 AM
hey

I had my first decent period in a decade the week before my surgery. I think its the body saying "oh crap, now look what I did"
I had no pain and a normal flow. It was bizzarre.
But on another note it was nice that Aunt Flo an I could part on friendly terms.
keggy
Unread 08-17-2002, 09:40 AM
"normal period"

I thought evrything was going along just fine with my periods being on the bc pills...they were finally almost non existant....ut my gyn was suspicious because my uterus had gotten slightly larger....wouldn't you know, 2 months later I started with the heaviest periods i'd ever had, and uncontrollable clots. A change in dosage, a few months of sort of normal periods, then the heavy ones again. My gyn checked me out again, said fibroids bigger, looking nasty in there, how about a hyst? I told her she didn't need to convince me, I was ready. So don't be fooled..I think you have to take stock every day and see how you are feeling, and look at the overall picture. You may be surprised that over time you have accomadated your heavy periods into your life. It's when you look back over time that you see how your quality of life has changed so much. Good luck.

FlossBoss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register