How many bottles of Fleet to use? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many bottles of Fleet to use? How many bottles of Fleet to use?

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
How many bottles of Fleet to use?

Hi ladies,

Just a quick question regarding bowel prep...the paper with the instructions my doctor gave says to use 2-3 bottles of Fleet Enema, but I was curious and checked out the website for information and it says to not use more than one bottle a day? Should I stick to what the paper says or only take one bottle? 3 bottles seems quite excessive to take O_O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 04:55 AM

I was given a fleet enema at the hospital the day of my surgery. The nurse only used one and it worked very well. I think that since you have questions and concerns, you should call your dr and ask for clarification.

Best wishes.

Unread 11-22-2008, 07:51 AM

Holy moly!! I cant imagine using 3 bottles of that stuff! WHOA!!!!! One bottle should clean you right out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM

The day before my surgery I was told by my doctor to do two fleets, When I went to get them I asked the pharmacist about it because the box said only one a day, they told me to make sure I follow my doctors instructions. That it wouldn't hurt me. I am now almost 2 weeks post and doing fine. The fleets didn't hurt just made me really clean.
Unread 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM

I did 2 also, and the magnesium citrate. My pharmacist told me that the box instructions are for folks using them OTC, not under a doctor's care, and to forget the box and follow my doctor's orders. The bowel prep is unpleasant, but the payoff is huge! I was so clean that I had no gas problems and no BM problems post-surgery.

Of course, if you are uncomfortable or have any questions about your pre-op instructions, you should probably call your doctor's office for additional clarification.

Take care!
Unread 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Ok thanks for the input ladies! I guess I don't have a choice to follow what the doc told me , I'll do the two bottles, I suppose it's better than drinking that nasty stuff to empty out your bowels. Btw...is that stuff messy? I mean I read it's best to do it in a "squatting" position, should I be doing this in the tub? Last thing I want to do is make a mess everywhere! lol
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Wow I never thought of a bowel prep to avoid gas, DOES IT WORK? I think if I am unlucky enough to have surgery again I will do a bowel prep!!!

I think laying on the side and waiting as long as you can before going is the best way!!! GOOD POSTS
Unread 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM

The best way to do a fleet is to lie down on your side in bed with a towel under you. It may leak a bit. Stay in bed until you feel like "you have to go NOW", then run to the bathroom. You are supposed to try and keep it in for 15 minutes, but it works faster than that in most cases.

I didn't need to do a bowel prep, but I had been taking colace for a couple days before just to make sure I wouldn't have problems afterwards.
Unread 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM

I also had to do a fleet and what I did was take a beach towel inside the bathroom and layed the towel on the floor, and layed on it, followed the instructions as to the side position, and was there still without moving for about 2-3 min, until you cant hold it anylonger and thank God the toilet was next to me
Unread 11-26-2008, 02:48 AM

I had to do 2 Fleets the morning of my surgery. My instructions were to administer them one right after the other, then hold the enema for as long as possible. My DH (who ought to be knighted for sainthood) helped me with this lovely task. I just laid on our bed with a disposable underpad on it. Our bathroom is just right outside the bedroom.

I was glad when that little chore was done.

Definitely follow your surgeon's instructions. I know some docs use Miralax for bowel prep, and you have to take the whole bottle within a certain amount of time. The normal instructions on bottle are like for one capful dissolved in some kind of beverage daily. Just another example of how your surgeon's instructions differ from the written instructions on some things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register