Scared in SC | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Scared in SC

Hello all, I am having my LAVH on Jan. 15. I have my pre-op appt. Thursday. I am very nervous. Okay, not nervous...SCARED !!! The reason for the surgery is b/c my uterus is enlarged. The last ultrasound indicated it was 12 week size. That was in November. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Scared in SC

sbkb03,

It's normal to be nervous. But you've come to the right place.
There's a lot of good information on this site.

Did your doctor say that you have fibroids in your uterus?
Mine was enlarged because I had fibroids. My doctor said that if I wasn't in a lot of pain, most likely it wasn't cancer. I wasn't afraid of the hysterectomy , I was actually looking forward to it. I must admit that I was a bit nervous until the final pathology reports came back.

Before surgery, I tried to not dwell on the possibilities of cancer. I didn't even think about the hyster unless I was on this site looking for information.
I started to live by my daughter's motto,
"Everything Happens For A Reason!"
This really seemed to help. I didn't think about my upcoming castle visit very much.

Worrying doesn't do anything but make us feel worse.
So try to use your nervous energy in a positive way.
Get your house ready before your castle visit.
Cook some meals and fill your freezer.
Read as much information on this site as you can.
As you read, write down any questions that you may want to ask your doctor about.
Once you start reading, you'll probably have more questions to post also.

When you have sometime to relax, read a book or listen to some music.

I hope all goes well for you!
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Scared in SC

Good luck. Try not to worry to much. Mine went really well and I also had an enlarged Uterus, with a huge Fibroid as my doctor referred to it. Now that it's all over I feel way better and I'm back to doing almost everything. Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Scared in SC

Hi, welcome to Hystersisters. It is normal to be scared, worried, nervous, etc. I seriously considered canceling my surgery when I got to the hospital! Now, I'm glad I didn't. Capemay gave great advice, stay busy, get meals ready, etc. This website is the best! From venting your feelings, to asking questions, to giving each other the support that we can, Hystersisters rules.! I hope you have an uneventful surgery, and a speedy recovery. Let us know if you need anything.

Mary Kay
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Scared in SC

Hi and welcome. You found a great place here all the ladies are very helpful and supportive. I am scheduled for tomorrow and still scared myself. Think the scared part is normal. To occupy my mind I have cleaned and cleaned lol. Or even keep calling my mom in AZ or my grandma in NY. Try doing things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied. Why I am going to be cooking today lol. Best of luck to you hun. sending you best wishes and speedy recovery.
Unread 01-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Scared in SC

It's very common to be scared. I remember right before the put my IV in I said 'I change my mind!!!' But DH was having none of that. I had a 12 week uterus and 7 baseball sized fibroids. Doc wanted to do LASH and send me home the same day but in her words when she got in there everything was a 'mess'. So, ended up with a TVH and one night in the castle. Pain was hard right afterwards but the drugs were good. They send you home with crappy drugs though! Most important advice I can give:
Drink more water than you ever have in your life! Bladder infection is not fun
Follow ALL of your docs orders, especially related to NO lifting or housework (including pushing things with your feet/legs)
Don't go to work at any time during recovery, they'll think you're back and start bugging you
Get a basket of 'stuff' and put it next to your bed (I put my pain meds, allergy pills, neosporin, kleenex, lotion, MP3, book, phone) and just pick it up and take it with you when you move from bed to sofa to bed
Be prepared for a bit of insomnia- get some DVDS to watch in the middle of the night
If you can afford it or have family that can help, get someone to clean your house at least 2-3 times while you're recovering
Buy several sets of pajamas and wash them all ahead of time in your favorite soap/fabric softner- nothing better than having a clean, comfy pair of pjs when you get out of the shower, made me feel so much better!!

Get plenty of rest and just know you have angels watching over you and you will be FINE!!! Keep us posted and join the recovery thread that covers your surgery date!!
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Scared in SC

Scared in SC

You are not alone my sister. I will have my surgery on Jan. 14. So I know exactly how you feel. A scripture jumped out at me yesterday while reading my daily devotion. "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." -Joshua 1:9 My mom and sister have both had TAH and assured me that once the doctor puts me to sleep I won't remember anything. But that anxiety is still there. Stay strong and good luck!
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Scared in SC

Thank you all for the great advice and info. & most important: support. I will be here alot I'm sure. Good luck to all those about to have surgery & those recovering. I wish you the best !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register