weight loss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-30-2004, 12:59 PM
weight loss?

Okay Ladies, you've got me concerned about this weight gain thing. Is this the norm? Is there anyone out there who lost weight or had no change in their weight? I have really struggled to get to the size that I am and I certainly don't want to start over. Can someone give me some encouragement here? As far as I know, I will be keeping my ovaries and won't be on HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 01:16 PM
weight loss?

Hi Stump411, this was something I agonized over also. I just don't want to buy a closet full of new clothes. I questioned my GYN pretty thoroughly on this issue because overyone had always told me that I would gain weight after a hyst. All doctors are different but mine told me that since I was keepint my ovaries that I shouldn't have any problems with gaining weight. He said he normally saw his patients gain weight when there was a change in hormone levels.

On the flip side, I have seen postings on here from women that did have ovaries removed and didn't have any problems with weight...so in the end it just might be a personal thing.

My experience, I am now 9 weeks PO and lost 8 lbs. immediately after surgery and haven't gained any of it back.

Good luck with everything,

Jan
Unread 04-30-2004, 01:21 PM
weight loss?

i gained weight after surgary but six weeks of doing nothing but lying around and not being active I gained it because I ate like I did pre op. Huge mistake. I also ate out of depression and boredom. I gained ten pounds. Right now my big problem is the water retention in feet and legs a bit and I can't seem to get rid of it and the swelly belly problem. other then that I am ok. congrats to losing weight...wish I had continued to maintain as i was right where I needed to be weight wise and I gained.
take care
some have lost and some gained.
I kept both ovaries.
im now exercising and working on losing this weight

teresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 01:46 PM
weight loss?

I had surgery on april 5th and haven't gained a pound. I have the swelly belly but it hasn't added a pound to the scale. I am on HRT, didn't keep overies. I was also very worried about gaining weight so I just watch what I eat.
I was not much of a water drinker but have drank so much since surgery that I feel like I could float away. Everytime I feel like snacking I grab my water bottle.
I also have always wanted to learn how to draw. I got some books on the subject and use them to keep me busy so I don't get board. Keeping my hands busy stops me from snacking.

Nancy
Unread 04-30-2004, 03:07 PM
On again off again weight

Just thought I'd pop in my two cents' worth

I'm now 11 days post-op. My scale at home has been adjusted very carefully to agree with the one at the doc's office. When I checked in for surgery, it was in the midst of one of my many unpredictable periods, so I'd say my weight was naturally on the high side that day. I know I bloated a bit in the hospital while I was on the IV, because I could see the change in my feet and fingers. I didn't weigh while in the hospital because I just didn't think of it.

I weighed myself yesterday morning, straight out of the shower, with a light towel around me (as close to the weight of a hospital gown as I can do) and I'm now down 5 lbs from the day I checked in. My rings, etc. fit just fine even tho I definitely have swelly belly.

I'm not spending a lot of time just munching, which is a small miracle because I only quit smoking about a month ago and I was afraid that would make me munchie. But, my anemia is also still wearing me down enough that I'm tired a lot so I sleep instead of snack.

I live in Santa Fe, where the air is dry, so we naturally drink a lot of water here - helps curb hunger and ease constipation. And I'm pretty conscientous about following the doctor's order to walk a bit more every day than I did the day before. Now if I can just convince the DH that apples really can come home from the grocery store, I'll have it made.
Unread 04-30-2004, 04:03 PM
weight loss?

When i went to my dr 2 weeks after surgery I had gained 6 lbs.. I went back yesterday and lost all of what I gained.. I was really worried about the weight gain thing.. A friend of mine kept telling me I was going to gain all kinds of weight from this.. Which really had me worried I am only 5' tall so if I put on anyweight u can tell..
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:22 PM
weight loss?

Hello all,

I wanted to make a general post-op post, but this thread caught my eye first, mostly because like so many of you I was WAY concerned with weight gain after my hyst. I had a vaginal hyst with both ovaries removed due to stage 4 endometriosis, and I am now on .625 mg of Premarin daily, where before the surgery I took ortho-cyclen birth control pills.. I have lost 8 pounds since April 5th, and this is what, April 30th? My surgery was 4/19/04, btw. I always suspected that it was the BC pills that made me gain weight all last calendar year prior to exploring the surgery, and now that my hormones are regulated, I have to say that I really do feel better, mentally and physically. I realize it's still very early, and let me assure you all that I have been *extremely* hypersensitive to how I am feeling, how my moods and emotions are, etc. But, if I were going to have mood or emotion problems due to hormones, wouldn't they have shown already, since I lost both ovaries 11 days ago? The bottom line is, my physical pain from the endo is gone, and while the surgery fatigued me, I just don't have any other complaints. I am very thankful for this, needless to say, and I just wanted to post and thank you all who've posted prior, because this website was a wonderful source of inspiration and information to me, so I would like to take a moment and encourage you ladies who are feeling like I felt prior to surgery, which was scared, uncertain, and downright panicky about how my life was going to be once I lost so much of me that was physically female. There's no doubt I made the right decision, and I was also blessed with a dedicated and skilled surgeon who made this a much easier process for me.

Take care, all!
Unread 04-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Weight loss?

I am within four pounds (over) of my pre-surgery weight five months ago. I do need to avoid the "fast food" places (but that has always been the case for me).

Hope this helps you.

SusieQ
Unread 05-01-2004, 07:28 AM
weight loss?

Thank you, Ladies for your encouraging posts and great tips. I feel much better now. I am worrying about so many things right now and probably unnecessarily so. You all have been so helpful to me in keeping my worries in check. You and this site are such a blessing!

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register