how much help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much help? how much help?

Unread 07-20-2007, 07:25 AM
how much help?

i was wondering how much post-op help i will need.Dh can't take time off work,kids will be gone ,so after my 3 days in hospital i will be home alone.DH said he could come home at lunch and should get home by 6pm everynight.is this enough help or should i enlist a neighbor for more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
how much help?

I was OK after the 3 day but can't walk too much - my husband took me to a shopping mall but put me on a wheel chair so he can wheel me around. The problem I have was GAS - it all occurred after a week of the surgery.

DH was great he helped on everything but think you may wish to enlist a neighbour (as a stand-by) in case you need help. You can't do too much and don't want to tear your incisions by over doing it - so becareful - learn that - it is not a shame to ask for help. You will be in more trouble if something has happened during those recovery period - that's why our surgeon said at least 6 weeks!!!
Unread 07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
how much help?

Your profile says you're having a TVH. That's what I had. If you're husband has to go to work, I would suggest that you have a phone, TV remote, meds, and maybe a cooler of bottled juices, water, etc near you so you don't have to get up and down so much. You can also have your husband include some snacks and/or sandwiches in the cooler. I was able to get up and down by myself ok afterwards even though my husband was home. Not having an abdominal incision made it a lot easier.

I hope everything goes well for you!

s, Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
how much help?

Emotionally I liked having people around to talk to. I made 1-4 my quiet time. Sometimes I slept, most times I just laid down & watched TV. I didn't answer the phone and requested visitors to come outside of those times.
You could arrange for a friend or neighbor to check in with you late afternoon (about midway between your DH being home) just in case you need something - or even just some human contact.
Unread 07-20-2007, 11:39 AM
how much help?

Hubby took off Monday & Tuesday and I had surgery Monday released from the hospital Tuesday. He went to work on Wednesday and I was fine home alone with two dogs. I was in bed the first day with remotes & laptop & cell phone next to the bed. You need to get up and walk to get things moving again so you won't be in bed the whole time.

I still can't drive just yet so hubby will take off when I need to go to the doc and get the staples out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register